Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: D on January 20, 2015, 05:45:45 PM

Feminists say it isn't, but as a bisexual, I think both are sexy. :3
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]OQYP5GEmC5o[/yt]

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 21, 2015, 08:19:36 PM
[yt]OQYP5GEmC5o[/yt]

partial fail here. Let me explain: yeah, Japan has a much lower crime rate, but it has the death penalty. So does Singapore (last I heard)

He's right that  it doesn't deter crime, but then to turn around and say that states that don't have it tend to have lower crime rates is simplistic.

Otherwise, I agree with four of the five reasons--including about crime deterrent. the first reason is too subjective.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on January 21, 2015, 09:29:04 PM
partial fail here. Let me explain: yeah, Japan has a much lower crime rate, but it has the death penalty. So does Singapore (last I heard)

He's right that  it doesn't deter crime, but then to turn around and say that states that don't have it tend to have lower crime rates is simplistic.

Otherwise, I agree with four of the five reasons--including about crime deterrent. the first reason is too subjective.

The weasel words are "tend to have"

If you really look at the number spread, it's pretty all over the map.  The point to take is there is no evidence that the death penalty has a deterent effect.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/even-profit-universities-are-better-americas-terrible-community-colleges?utm_content=bufferb08e2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Shared to me by a furry libertarian friend of mine.  I went to one to save money before transferring to a  year school.  I'd wager that, per dollar, the 4 year 'non-profit' universities aren't much better...
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on January 21, 2015, 10:40:16 PM

If you really look at the number spread, it's pretty all over the map.  The point to take is there is no evidence that the death penalty has a deterent effect.

Not disagreeing here.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on January 21, 2015, 10:40:16 PM

My understanding of the research is that the perceived likelihood of punishment for an action is more important in deterrence than the severity of the possible punishment.

So, a 1% chance of being executed tends to deter people less than a 90% chance of ten years in prison.

[yt]aeMnPiepqxU[/yt]
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

January 23, 2015, 12:56:44 AM #4615 Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:05:53 AM by ArtemisVale
[yt]gI5fj8vmc44[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

January 25, 2015, 12:41:55 PM #4617 Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:04:04 PM by Travis Retriever
Ludwig von Mises:
"The characteristic feature of militarism is not the fact that a nation has a powerful army or navy. It is the paramount role assigned to the army within the political structure. Even in peacetime the army is supreme; it is the predominant factor in political life. The subjects must obey the government as soldiers must obey their superiors. Within a militarist community there is no freedom; there are only obedience and discipline."
--Omnipotent Government: The Rise of the Total State and Total War (1944)

[yt]8XQIgjwica8[/yt]
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

January 30, 2015, 06:52:17 PM #4619 Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:56:40 PM by Dallas Wildman
Well Angry Joe finally weighs in on Swatting and GamerGate

[yt]UwTjHXiN4qw[/yt]

Swatting starts at 29:22
Gamergate starts at 31:44
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.