Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finally some decent political satire from Saturday Night Live

[yt]JUDSeb2zHQ0[/yt]
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

November 24, 2014, 12:56:45 PM #4487 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:32:00 PM by Travis Retriever
http://gizmodo.com/the-fastest-real-world-internet-is-1000x-quicker-than-g-1506564949
*swoon!* :D

My comment on that, still pending approval:
"0.9 Mbps download and 0.3 Mbps upload (Verizon DSL...weee!), no mobile reception at my place. The shoe place near my house still uses dial up. I wish I was making that up.

Yeah, this is what happens when you give utilities, including phone, cable, power, etc a local monopoly via their regional government. Just like with the Bell Labs/AT&T monopoly, you get stagnation, shitty service, and fewer choices. Funny how *that* works..."

I also added it to this article by John Cheese:  http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-internet-access-in-america-disaster/
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]WNbQ3QjWX3o[/yt]

Quote from: Travis Retriever on November 24, 2014, 12:56:45 PM
http://gizmodo.com/the-fastest-real-world-internet-is-1000x-quicker-than-g-1506564949
*swoon!* :D

My comment on that, still pending approval:
"0.9 Mbps download and 0.3 Mbps upload (Verizon DSL...weee!), no mobile reception at my place. The shoe place near my house still uses dial up. I wish I was making that up.

Yeah, this is what happens when you give utilities, including phone, cable, power, etc a local monopoly via their regional government. Just like with the Bell Labs/AT&T monopoly, you get stagnation, shitty service, and fewer choices. Funny how *that* works..."

I also added it to this article by John Cheese:  http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-internet-access-in-america-disaster/

I don't think that's all that NEW, though.  Experiments in hyper-capacity backbone technologies have been going on for at least a couple decades.  And this sounds like it needs new switches, anyway.  How can you possibly jam seven channels through existing single-channel laser diodes?  (And they don't appear to be using common channel standards, either.  Nobody seems to have a 200Gb/s optical channel standard in common use, the fastest channel protocol I can find is OC768, which is about 38Gb/s.  The line protocols would need to be about the level of OC3450 or so.)

November 25, 2014, 12:38:32 PM #4490 Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:37:01 PM by Travis Retriever
[yt]tsH_t7MYtRs[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"RE: governments, their programs, and the idea of them being moral, justified, and a net benefit to society.
If you even entertain the notion that some of them are, you are hopelessly deluded, gullible, and naive.  Such a farce."--Me, inspired by one of Menno's posts.

"A problem with a lot of folks into health and fitness, is that, like a lot of experts in other fields, they tend to lose perspective and not understand that folks who are n00bs at this aren't going to have the intuition, tools, experience, skill-sets, and sense, etc that's going to let them make more informed choices.
It's a reason why I want to scream whenever I hear someone tell me, "oh, you can just build your own PC"
Um, yeah, ignoring the YEARS of experience and time they put into it that I do NOT have. Or the money they could afford to waste on failures that I do not have. You know?
Unless they can actually help me reach their level, it just comes off as advice from a celebrity: gibberish horseshit spraying out of the mouth of an ultra-privileged out of touch alien.
But yeah, it's the same with anyone skilled in ANY skillset I've found.  Loss of perspective nearly always happens.
And so when advising someone who doesn't have the skills they do, they become about as helpful as a fortune cookie's advice.
It's why I immediately start asking them questions like, asking them can they show/teach me to do that, or at the very least,
Direct me to some good links/tutorials that can help get me started.
If they don't have the patience to play teacher, that's fine, but don't give advice to people who do NOT have the skills to use it."--Me, inspired by some tweets I've received and a conversation on one of my posts on facebook.

Quote from: Travis Retriever on November 27, 2014, 12:01:26 PM
"A problem with a lot of folks into health and fitness, is that, like a lot of experts in other fields, they tend to lose perspective and not understand that folks who are n00bs at this aren't going to have the intuition, tools, experience, skill-sets, and sense, etc that's going to let them make more informed choices.
It's a reason why I want to scream whenever I hear someone tell me, "oh, you can just build your own PC"
Um, yeah, ignoring the YEARS of experience and time they put into it that I do NOT have. Or the money they could afford to waste on failures that I do not have. You know?
Unless they can actually help me reach their level, it just comes off as advice from a celebrity: gibberish horseshit spraying out of the mouth of an ultra-privileged out of touch alien.
But yeah, it's the same with anyone skilled in ANY skillset I've found.  Loss of perspective nearly always happens.
And so when advising someone who doesn't have the skills they do, they become about as helpful as a fortune cookie's advice.
It's why I immediately start asking them questions like, asking them can they show/teach me to do that, or at the very least,
Direct me to some good links/tutorials that can help get me started.
If they don't have the patience to play teacher, that's fine, but don't give advice to people who do NOT have the skills to use it."--Me, inspired by some tweets I've received and a conversation on one of my posts on facebook.

I'd like to think we did a pretty good job in your Bogosity thread where we talked about building a gaming PC. I know I had to sit and think of all the things that have changed over the last ~30 years, and what you'd need to know to start doing it today.

Personally, I think the hardest part might be just finding components that go together. They've actually idiot-proofed a lot of it. (And I'm thankful that I'll never have to manually set an IRQ again for as long as I live!)

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 27, 2014, 12:04:48 PM
I'd like to think we did a pretty good job in your Bogosity thread where we talked about building a gaming PC. I know I had to sit and think of all the things that have changed over the last ~30 years, and what you'd need to know to start doing it today.

Personally, I think the hardest part might be just finding components that go together. They've actually idiot-proofed a lot of it. (And I'm thankful that I'll never have to manually set an IRQ again for as long as I live!)

Uhhhhh *cough cough* his thread? xD

But your right i did get some pretty good advice from there as well.
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 27, 2014, 12:04:48 PM

I think so, and yeah, that wasn't really directed at anyone in particular, just in general, something I noticed a lot of.  I think between the talk me and one of my furry libertarian friends (Greg) had on nutrition yesterday, and being told to 'just build a PC' from folks on Twitter and all the stuff with that just brought it out of me.
And while I don't know what setting up an IRQ would entail, it must be a pain if even you don't want to do it. D:
And yeah, that was probably my biggest concern as well, basically making sure everything is compatible with everything else. I don't want to blow $1,500 on a GPU or $1,000 on a CPU only to find it it isn't compatible with my motherboard, or the software I want to use, or doesn't fit in my case, etc, etc, etc.

Quote from: ArtemisVale on November 27, 2014, 12:13:28 PM
Uhhhhh *cough cough* his thread? xD

But your right i did get some pretty good advice from there as well.
Yeah, it is actually your thread, and like I said before, sorry for hijacking it from you.  I am grateful that you started it though. *hugs* :)

Not gonna lie and say I havent been in this group before (and im obviously The One Who Really Likes to Roleplay)

Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: ArtemisVale on November 27, 2014, 10:13:26 PM
Not gonna lie and say I havent been in this group before (and im obviously The One Who Really Likes to Roleplay)

@The Rocket Raccoon one: *whistles nonchalantly* >.>;

It's funny how "Electric Eye" by Judas Priest is more relevant now than it was 30 years ago.

[yt]b1B_pZC8aWU[/yt]

Up here in space
I'm looking down on you.
My lasers trace
Everything you do.
You think you've private lives
Think nothing of the kind.
There is no true escape

I'm watching all the time.
I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam.
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean.

I'm elected electric spy
I protected electric eye.
Always in focus
You can't feel my stare.
I zoom into you
You don't know I'm there.
I take a pride in probing all your secret moves
My tearless retina takes pictures that can prove.

Electric eye, in the sky
Feel my stare, always there
's nothing you can do about it.
Develop and expose
I feed upon your every thought
And so my power grows.
Protected. Detective. Electric eye.