Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 25, 2009, 03:39:53 PM #30 Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:43:27 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
(Good one, Shane. :) )

I love the quotes on your site:

“Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” —George Carlin

“‘Thou shalt not kill.’ Murder. The fifth commandment. But if you think about it, religion has never really had a problem with murder. Not really. No, more people have been killed in the name of God than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at slavery, the Middle East, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Holocaust, and the World Trade Center, and you’ll see how seriously the religious folks take ‘Thou shalt not kill.’ The more devout they are, the more they see murder as negotiable.” —George Carlin

“First the Nazis came for the Jews, and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me.” —Pastor Martin Niemoller

“You might think it hard to come up with anything nice to say about Islam, but I can think of a few things. Firstly, I like their symbol, the crescent moon. I find it much more attractive than the cross, probably because it doesn’t have anybody nailed to it.” —Pat Condell

“Of course, I have to balance these doubts against the counterargument, which is, ‘But it’s in the Bible, so it must be true, because the Bible is the word of God, because it says it is, so it must be true, because the Bible is the word of God,’ etc., etc. Clearly for some people, God doesn’t move so much in mysterious ways, as in ever-decreasing circles.” —Pat Condell

“Hey, I don’t want to get abusive here, because that creates enemies. On the other hand, you’re already my enemy, so what the hell, you murdering lump of slime!” —Pat Condell, to Osama bin Laden

“Now, thanks to the sacred war on freedom—I mean, terror—America has something called the Patriot Act, which is essentially a charter for fascism in the land of the free. It could have been written by Hitler, somebody with whom I think you [Osama bin Laden] would have alot in common. After all, a bunker, or a cave, ultimately, there’s only one way out, isn’t there?” —Pat Condell

“I think if Hell does exist, it’s probably...something more subtle that consumes from within, something like eternal regret, perhaps, something not done, not challenged, not risked, not loved enough. Or maybe it’s just burning in fire.” —Pat Condell
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"The free market is ugly and stupid, like going to the mall; the unfree market is just as ugly and just as stupid, except there is nothing in the mall and if you don't go there they shoot you." —P.J. O'Rourke

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." —Ronald Reagan

"Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you need is also big enough to take away everything you have." —Barry Goldwater

"Social Security operates on a very simple principle: the politicians take your money from you and squander it." —Harry Browne

"Republicans campaign like Libertarians and govern like Democrats." —Harry Browne

"Left-wing politicians take away your liberty in the name of children and of fighting poverty, while right-wing politicians do it in the name of family values and fighting drugs. Either way, government gets bigger and you become less free." —Harry Browne

"There already are 20,000 federal gun laws and regulations on the books. If those laws haven't made America safe by now, why should we think 20,001 laws will suffice?" —Harry Browne

"If you give a good politician the power to do good things, you automatically give a bad politician the power to do bad things." —Harry Browne
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"Why is it, when you go to a vegetarian's house, you hardly ever see vegetables in the freezer? No, you find funny little make-believe foods, like vegetarian bacon, vegetarian hot dogs, vegetarian hamburgers, vegetarian beef stroganoff—well, what about vegetarian vegetables, huh? If your food is so much better, how come you have to pretend you're eating mine?" —Tim Slagle

"I think the environmental alarmists are the intellectual descendents of the people who told us that if we didn't throw virgins into the volcano, a giant sea monster would come around and eat us. Then, sooner or later, there'd be an eclipse, and they'd say, 'See? We told you this would happen!' 'No, you said we'd be eaten by a giant sea monster.' 'Well, whaddya think's blocking out the sun?' 'Oh! Well, we'd better throw in a virgin, then! I sure hope we can find one...'" —Tim Slagle

"Nothing ruins a perfectly good 'Drugs Kill' campaign faster than a pothead who can win the Triathlon." —Tim Slagle

"Go ahead, tailgate; see if I care." —Jamie Hyneman in a supersized rocket car, Mythbusters

"I just had one of those, 'What the hell are we doing?' moments." —Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target." —Ashleigh Brilliant

"You are terrified of your own children, since they are natives in a world where you will always be immigrants. Because you fear them, you entrust your bureaucracies with the parental responsibilities you are too cowardly to confront yourselves. In our world, all the sentiments and expressions of humanity, from the debasing to the angelic, are parts of a seamless whole, the global conversation of bits. We cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat." —John Perry Barlow, A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace

"How hard can it be to blow up a room full of gasoline?" —Adam Savage, Mythbusters

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." —Niels Bohr

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy....The loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or imagined, from abroad." —James Madison

September 25, 2009, 04:21:24 PM #34 Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:24:52 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"The problem with political moderates, is that to them, extreme means a decrease in government, keeping government the same, or 'too much increase' in government.  A political moderate is therefore, someone who wants government to continue to grow at the same pace, expanding its influence, size and scope, while ignoring all the past failures that were caused by more of the same increases in government that they advocate.  And they wonder why Libertarians think they're stupid."  --Me

"Does this mean that If we had a full reserve banking system along with a gold standard AND zero regulation of the financial markets, then the financial crisis wouldn't have happened?

Also, by keeping the financial markets that way, would this prevent the huge market crashes (e.g. the 1921, 1929 crashes and the 2008 collapse) that can cause even people with diverse stock/investment portfolios to lose most or even all of their savings?" --Me, in response to Shane's video How Fractional Reserve Banking Increases Inflation - HD version

"Yes, that's EXACTLY what it means." --Shane, in response to my above question.

"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither. The society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both." --Milton Friedman, Free to Choose Part 5: "Created Equal"

So let me get this straight, we ban smoking everywhere we see it, we won't even let them make smoking lounges where smokers can go and there is no reason whatsoever for a non smoker to go anywhere near it...yet we're allowing the middle eastern folks to have hookah smoking lounges because "it's part of their culture"?  So kids, what's the moral of this story?  In the ongoing battle to learn who is the greater evil, it seems political correctness has beat out behavior policing and takes the belt - One of my rants
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on September 26, 2009, 07:16:45 PM
So let me get this straight, we ban smoking everywhere we see it, we won't even let them make smoking lounges where smokers can go and there is no reason whatsoever for a non smoker to go anywhere near it...yet we're allowing the middle eastern folks to have hookah smoking lounges because "it's part of their culture"?  So kids, what's the moral of this story?  In the ongoing battle to learn who is the greater evil, it seems political correctness has beat out behavior policing and takes the belt - One of my rants
(You forgot the put the quote symbols: "" around your quote, dude. :P )

"'I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything...' —retard anon" —Encyclopedia Dramatica.

"If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves." - Thomas Sowell

"Maybe people wouldn't try to get welfare if the government wasn't taxing them to death." - Shane

Okay, time for some silliness.

"Think for a moment about the concept of the flamethrower. Okay? The flamethrower. Because we have them. Well, *we* don't have them, the army has them. That's right. We don't have any flamethrowers. I'd say we're fucked if we have to go up against the army, wouldn't you? But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way to far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them." Well, it might have ended right there, but he mentioned it to his friend. His friend who was good with tools. And about a month later, he was back. "Hey, quite a concept!" WHHOOOOOOOOSSHHH! And of course the army heard about it, and they came around. "We'd like to buy about five hundred-thousand of them please. We have some people we'd like to throw flame on. Give us five hundred thousand and paint them dark brown. We don't want anyone to see them." " -George Carlin

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

What?  He was my hero when I was a kid!  ><
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

"Hello, dear lady. A lovely evening, is it not? Forgive me for intruding...I thought it was time we had a little chat, you and I. Ahh...I was forgetting that we are not properly introduced. I do not have a name. You may call me V. Madam Justice, V. V, this is Madam Justice. Hello, Madam Justice. 'Good evening, V.'

"There. Now we know each other. Actually, I've been a fan of yours for quite some time. Oh, I know what you're thinking...'The poor boy has a crush on me...an adolescent fatuation.' I beg your pardon, Madam. It isn't like that at all. I've long admired you...albeit only from a distance. I used to stare at you from the streets below when I was a child. I'd say to my father, 'Who is that lady?' And he'd say, 'That's Madam Justice.' And I'd say, 'Isn't she pretty.'

"Please don't think it was merely physical. I know you're not that sort of girl. No, I loved you as a person. As an ideal. That was a long time ago. I'm afraid there's someone else now...

"'What? V! For shame! You have betrayed me for some harlot, some vain and pouting hussy with painted lips and a knowing smile!' I, Madam? I beg to differ! It was your infidelity that drove me to her arms! Ah-ha! That surprised you, didn't it? You thought I didn't know about your little fling. But I do. I know everything! Frankly, I wasn't surprised when I found out. You always did have an eye for a man in uniform. 'Uniform? Why I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. It was always you, V. You were the only one...'

"Liar! Slut! Whore! Deny that you let him have his way with you, him with his armbands and jackboots! Well? Cat got your tongue? I thought as much. Very well. So you stand revealed at last. You are no longer my justice. You are his justice now. You have bedded another.

"'Sob! Choke! Wh-who is she, V? What is her name?' Her name is Anarchy. And she has taught me more as a mistress than you ever did! She has taught me that justice is meaningless without freedom. She is honest. She makes no promises and breaks none. Unlike you, Jezebel. I used to wonder why you could never look me in the eye. Now I know. So good bye, dear lady. I would be saddened by our parting even now, save that you are no longer the woman I once loved."

[He sets down a heart-shaped box with a bow.]

"Here is a final gift. I leave it at your feet."

[He bows, and walks away, and the statue of Madam Justice explodes, taking the Old Bailey with her...]

--V for Vendetta

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on September 27, 2009, 09:34:04 AM
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

What?  He was my hero when I was a kid!  ><

Same here, though I was more into Beast Wars and Dinobot. Yeeessssss. (If I reference the main villain's speech patterns, does that count as a quote?) It's a good sentiment, nonetheless.

[The Maximals pretend that Dinobot is seriously injured to trick Starscream]
    Rattrap: [to Dinobot] Lie still! And GROAN, for cryin' out loud! You're supposed to be half-dead!
    Dinobot: If you don't shut up, Vermin, you will be my role model!

[Dinobot is telling the Maximals about how he fought a clone of his]
    Rattrap: Besides, if there was a clone, then where is he?
    Dinobot: I'm afraid he's gone for good. A shame really. He was such a handsome creature. And...quite tasty.
    [Dinobot flicks a piece of flesh from between his teeth at Optimus Primal's face and belches. Cheetor gives him a thumbs-up, Rattrap stares at him, Rhinox frowns and Optimus says...]
    Optimus Primal: You're disgusting.
    [Dinobot smiles]

DINOBOT'S LAST WORDS:

Tell my tale to those who ask it. Tell it truly, the evil deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.

Quote"Hello, dear lady. A lovely evening, is it not? Forgive me for intruding...I thought it was time we had a little chat, you and I. Ahh...I was forgetting that we are not properly introduced. I do not have a name. You may call me V. Madam Justice, V. V, this is Madam Justice. Hello, Madam Justice. 'Good evening, V.'

"There. Now we know each other. Actually, I've been a fan of yours for quite some time. Oh, I know what you're thinking...'The poor boy has a crush on me...an adolescent fatuation.' I beg your pardon, Madam. It isn't like that at all. I've long admired you...albeit only from a distance. I used to stare at you from the streets below when I was a child. I'd say to my father, 'Who is that lady?' And he'd say, 'That's Madam Justice.' And I'd say, 'Isn't she pretty.'

"Please don't think it was merely physical. I know you're not that sort of girl. No, I loved you as a person. As an ideal. That was a long time ago. I'm afraid there's someone else now...

"'What? V! For shame! You have betrayed me for some harlot, some vain and pouting hussy with painted lips and a knowing smile!' I, Madam? I beg to differ! It was your infidelity that drove me to her arms! Ah-ha! That surprised you, didn't it? You thought I didn't know about your little fling. But I do. I know everything! Frankly, I wasn't surprised when I found out. You always did have an eye for a man in uniform. 'Uniform? Why I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. It was always you, V. You were the only one...'

"Liar! Slut! Whore! Deny that you let him have his way with you, him with his armbands and jackboots! Well? Cat got your tongue? I thought as much. Very well. So you stand revealed at last. You are no longer my justice. You are his justice now. You have bedded another.

"'Sob! Choke! Wh-who is she, V? What is her name?' Her name is Anarchy. And she has taught me more as a mistress than you ever did! She has taught me that justice is meaningless without freedom. She is honest. She makes no promises and breaks none. Unlike you, Jezebel. I used to wonder why you could never look me in the eye. Now I know. So good bye, dear lady. I would be saddened by our parting even now, save that you are no longer the woman I once loved."

[He sets down a heart-shaped box with a bow.]

"Here is a final gift. I leave it at your feet."

[He bows, and walks away, and the statue of Madam Justice explodes, taking the Old Bailey with her...]

--V for Vendetta

Best. Comic. Scene. Ever.

Quote from: Virgil0211 on September 28, 2009, 03:48:28 AMTell my tale to those who ask it. Tell it truly, the evil deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence.

Well, I guess if you want great last words, be sure to take them from Shakespeare!

Gotta love those Hamlet quotes:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

"'Sblood, do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, you cannot play upon me."

"Hear you sir; What is the reason that you use me thus? I lov'd you ever: but it is no matter. Let Hercules himself do what he may, the cat will mew, and dog will have his day."

"If thou didst ever hold me in thy heart, absent thee from felicity awhile, and in this harsh world draw thy breath in pain to tell my story. O, I die, Horatio; the potent poison quite o'er-crows my spirit: I cannot live to hear the news from England, but I do prophesy the election lights on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice. So tell him, with the occurrents, more and less, which have solicited. The rest is silence." (his dying words)