Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travis Retriever on November 15, 2014, 12:48:58 PM
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-people-who-will-ruin-your-attempt-to-lose-weight/
As someone in the process of this, I can aboslutely verify and relate.  Especially #8 and #5.  I'm going to be blunt.  If you are one of those people, fuck you with one thousand HIV covered and barb spiked nuclear dicks.  That is all.  8)

#6 I agree with, but at the same time I think you should allow yourself those occasional indulgences. Pig out with the family on Thanksgiving, and have a small piece of birthday cake the 4 or 5 times a year you go to a birthday party. At the very least, have your own! Watching your weight shouldn't mean being a tyrant to yourself. They mentioned a similar thing with #4, and I think it applies here, too.

#3 I think is just bogus. Take some personal responsibility! There are healthy items on ANY menu (even McDonalds has salads), and no, NO waitress will give you a dirty look because you order them. They're on the menu, aren't they? And she wants her tip...

November 15, 2014, 01:52:48 PM #4471 Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:59:02 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: MrBogosity on November 15, 2014, 01:23:03 PM
#6 I agree with, but at the same time I think you should allow yourself those occasional indulgences. Pig out with the family on Thanksgiving, and have a small piece of birthday cake the 4 or 5 times a year you go to a birthday party. At the very least, have your own! Watching your weight shouldn't mean being a tyrant to yourself. They mentioned a similar thing with #4, and I think it applies here, too.

#3 I think is just bogus. Take some personal responsibility! There are healthy items on ANY menu (even McDonalds has salads), and no, NO waitress will give you a dirty look because you order them. They're on the menu, aren't they? And she wants her tip...
In order of your comments on each item:
#6:  Hence why I'm into Flexible dieting and IIFYM.  I've found that if losing wieght/getting in shape requires you to not have a social life, you're doing it wrong.  Yes, even if you're a pro bodybuilder.  Even Layne Norton has a social life.

#4: It's one thing to be spontaneous every now and again, but if it's a 2-4+ a week thing, you're gaining weight (and not muscle) then it's time to cut back.  Moderation seems best here, like Alan Aragon, Armi Legge, etc have said before.

#3:  Hence why I just cook my own food.  Pretty much everyone in my family/household does tbh.  And even then, if you're eating the clam chowder, or whatever, eat a smaller portion, Calories being what they are and all.

>>Personal responsibility
Um, Shane? By losing weight isn't that exactly what I'm doing?
I meant the stuff mainly for #5 and #8 because I've experienced people like that and they suck.  Big time..  I think I should have worded that post better. Blah.  This is what I get for not reading my post more carefully.

I also should note I haven't really experienced much of the ones you highlighted yet, if only because I'm not that social and don't (yet) have a job. >.>;;

Edited the post:  Fixed. :P
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

And speaking of personal responsibility:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

Something every millennial (myself included) who isn't leading the life they want needs to read. 10/10
Probably the best self help article I've ever read ever.
Posted on every social networking site I'm on.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]MgA4efUBEVQ[/yt]

Normally, I've got little patience for Deserphile these days, but his description of both police behaving stupidly while doing riot training (apparently to better CAUSE riots) and how police managed to precipitate a riot he got caught in as a teenager is really funny.

I'm not going to bother nominating the cops for IE, since this really isn't a bad enough incident to bother covering on the podcast, since they were only incredibly stupid and caused damage through stupidity rather than intent.  (Seriously, crashing THREE police cars into each other while on your way to a TRAINING EXERCISE, and then bungling the training with what is literally the oldest screw up in chemical warfare.)

Quote from: Travis Retriever on November 15, 2014, 01:52:48 PM
>>Personal responsibility
Um, Shane? By losing weight isn't that exactly what I'm doing?

Wasn't targeted at you, but whoever wrote that part.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 15, 2014, 03:49:15 PM
Wasn't targeted at you, but whoever wrote that part.
Ah, okay.  It was Christina H of cracked.com who wrote the article (all of it), actually.

[yt]q18AO43S0cM[/yt]
Thunderf00t:  When he's on, he's on. :)

Paul Krugman recently emmited this bit of bogosity:

Quote"Modern American political discourse is dominated by cheap cynicism about public policy, a free-floating contempt for any and all efforts to improve our lives. And this cheap cynicism is completely unjustified."

To which, one redditor in the thread posted this:

QuoteSorry, I'd say my cynicism is more than justified. My contempt is well deserved.

We were secretly spying on over a billion people for no one knows how long. Revealing that hasn't even marginally slowed such efforts. The PATRIOT ACT still exists, is still in force, and all signals show will get re-upped when the time comes. We're going to war in the Middle East. Again. After the president who vowed to get us out of the Middle East decided to arm a group we felt moderate against a force we considered to be great evil backfired. Again. Part of our strategy is to arm a force we consider to be moderate against one we consider great evil. Again. Forty-one percent of Americans don't have jobs, wages are stagnant, and the economic recovery has been concentrated in the top few percent of earners.

Police are murdering people with military weapons, attempting to silence journalists and hide their wrong-doings, stealing millions from ordinary Americans and acting like a bunch of racist thugs. Voter turn-out is low, money in politics is astronomically high, and it seems like few of the real problems we're facing as a nation or as a world are being resolved.

But yeah, that solar panel investment turned out great and Ebola has only killed 5,500 people so far. I'll bake you a cake. Try again Krugman.

Speaking of old Krugtron, I recently wrote this satirical gem.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

November 20, 2014, 06:45:05 PM #4478 Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:47:51 PM by Travis Retriever
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130521095429-5799319-class-of-2013-your-degree-doesn-t-mean-squat?fb_action_ids=10151461717798131&fb_action_types=og.likes
One more reason I hate college as an institution and why I seethe with rage when not a single libertarian even tries to address it the way they do the public schools.
"Your silence on the matter is deafening." As Hawkeye would say.
Fuck the statist imbeciles saying "WE NEED FREE EDUCATION!" for what? For even MORE people to waste 4+ years of their lives? Fuck you.

The post I just put in fail quotes reminds me of these two gems from XKCD:

Quote from: Travis Retriever on November 21, 2014, 06:57:38 PM
The post I just put in fail quotes reminds me of these two gems from XKCD:

And the title text for the latter: "To everyone who responds to everything by saying they've 'lost their faith in humanity': Thanks--I'll let humanity know. I'm sure they'll be crushed."

"An extreme shortage of something is NEVER anything to get upset over when you aren't the one dealing with it."--David Wong
Probably the only specific quote I've ever posted of his in this thread.

November 22, 2014, 03:55:10 PM #4483 Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:00:31 PM by Travis Retriever
[yt]an79hEatQVA[/yt]
3:08 Oh yeah, I remember that post.  It was saying lonely men have more testosterone.  The catch? "Animal Study"
5:27 "And your penis is gonna invert" I lol'ed irl at that. That was gold. XD
56:00 ish:  "Around the exact same time when the government pushed high carb diets as healthy was about the exact time when the obesity crisis began." Damn. Correlation =/= causation, but wow. o.o