Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Can't believe I missed this:

[yt]GZadCj8O1-0[/yt]

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 10, 2014, 02:23:58 PM
Can't believe I missed this:

[yt]GZadCj8O1-0[/yt]

This is the sort of stuff George Carlin would have done if he'd thought his fans were smarter.

[yt]m2a5-RrwWZ8[/yt]

Speaking of George Carlin, here's part of an old show of his covering how rape is funny, and some things right and wrong with Feminism.

November 12, 2014, 07:07:49 PM #4458 Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:12:08 PM by Travis Retriever
[yt]8j95dVw6Kbc[/yt]

http://freedominthe50states.org/cable-and-telecom/tennessee

>>Fastest Internet in the country.
>>Has is #1 in telecom freedom.
Come on people! This isn't rocket science. XP
I mean, I know correlation doesn't imply causation, but damn, it's not like that's all we have.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

So according to Google,Penn Jillette is 6'6". I'm told Harry Browne was taller than Shane Killian (6'2'') and Kane/Glen Jacobs is almost 7 feet tall.
I guess you could say they're *puts on sunglasses* Libertarian Giants. :P
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Travis Retriever on November 12, 2014, 07:59:10 PM
So according to Google,Penn Jillette is 6'6". I'm told Harry Browne was taller than Shane Killian (6'2'') and Kane/Glen Jacobs is almost 7 feet tall.
I guess you could say they're *puts on sunglasses* Libertarian Giants. :P

Not libertarians, but the producer/director I'm doing the short with is an inch taller than me, and one of the actors is 2 inches taller.

Also, Lee Graham from Episode 5 of Bogosity is an inch taller than me.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 12, 2014, 08:14:37 PM
Not libertarians, but the producer/director I'm doing the short with is an inch taller than me, and one of the actors is 2 inches taller.

Also, Lee Graham from Episode 5 of Bogosity is an inch taller than me.
Dang you tall people! I'm only 5'9'' :P

[yt]NIse3K7x0iw[/yt]

Quote from: Travis Retriever on August 07, 2014, 05:25:29 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq
I don't agree with everything perfectly, but most of it is spot on enough to merit a post here.
The deal maker for me was this bit:

Dear OP:  Thank you.  If I had a dollar for every Armchair McExpert who has thrown "starvation/hibernation mode" at me, well, you get the idea.  Moral of the story, unless the person you're lecturing wouldn't look out of place in a picture of post WWII concentration camp victims, starvation mode is 100% irrelevant to them and your best course of action regarding this is to STFU with your so-called 'facts' you got from Yahoo News, Doctor Oz or a P90X/CrossFit commercial.

In even more detail on this topic, is Armi Legge from this article:  http://evidencemag.com/calories-count/
Legge's sources beneath spoiler:
[spoiler]82. Dulloo AG, Jacquet J, Montani J-P, Schutz Y. Adaptive thermogenesis in human body weight regulation: more of a concept than a measurable entity? Obes Rev. 2012;13 Suppl 2:105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1467-789X.2012.01041.x.

84. Muller MJ, Bosy-Westphal A. Adaptive thermogenesis with weight loss in humans. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21(2):218–228. doi:10.1002/oby.20027.

95. Rosenbaum M, Leibel RL. Adaptive thermogenesis in humans. International Journal of Obesity (2005). 2010;34 Suppl 1:S47–55. doi:10.1038/ijo.2010.184.

96. Major GC, Doucet E, Trayhurn P, Astrup A, Tremblay A. Clinical significance of adaptive thermogenesis. International Journal of Obesity (2005). 2006;31(2):204–212. doi:10.1038/sj.ijo.0803523.

98. Kalm LM, Semba RD. They starved so that others be better fed: remembering Ancel Keys and the Minnesota experiment. J Nutr. 2005;135(6):1347–1352. Available at: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1347.full.[/spoiler]

In short, I do my homework.  All you Armchair McExperts are NOT going to bluff your way through this.
An update on this, since I've learned more, yes, metabolic adaption is a thing that happens so there is a grain of truth to the people scaremongering about starvation mode and the stuff David Wong said, but...long story short, adaptation works both ways:

[yt]b5C3uqA1yRI[/yt]

[yt]A3gTGLulLnI[/yt]

Quote from: Travis Retriever on November 12, 2014, 08:25:19 PM
Dang you tall people! I'm only 5'9'' :P
Dude, I'm 5'6"!  What are you complaining about?
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on November 13, 2014, 06:17:01 PM
Dude, I'm 5'6"!  What are you complaining about?
...Sorreh? ^^;

November 14, 2014, 08:24:59 AM #4466 Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:30:43 AM by MrBogosity
Man, buncha short people on this forum!

[yt]sX6I2NrguAs[/yt]

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 14, 2014, 08:24:59 AM
Man, buncha short people on this forum!

[yt]sX6I2NrguAs[/yt]
...Randy Newman? Shane, you're a meanie! *whimpers and lays in his bed, giving everyone who looks at him cute puppy dog eyes* :P

But back on topic:
"I'm a skeptic, unconformable truths are my specialty!"
"Of course I'm a virgin/don't get invited to parties/etc.  I'm a skeptic. No one wants to be near me because I'll tell them what they need to hear instead of what they want to hear!"
--Two lines, I'm just dying to use irl (or online to a woo) someday. :P

"People act like I'm dogmatic and stubborn and can't be convinced.  Quite the contrary! I love being proven wrong.  For example, I'd like to be proven wrong with government and indeed shown it can work, because getting to that form of government is far more probable than it ever being abolished and achieving anarcho capitalism.  Well, in my lifetime at least."--Me, inspired by a quote by Shane noting that, as a Skeptic he likes being proven wrong.  It just takes evidence, not bogosity, to do that.

[yt]JpAQDwsJriQ[/yt]

November 15, 2014, 12:48:58 PM #4469 Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:58:42 PM by Travis Retriever
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-people-who-will-ruin-your-attempt-to-lose-weight/
#8 and #5.  I'm going to be blunt.  If you are one of those people, fuck you with one thousand HIV covered and barb spiked nuclear dicks.  That is all.  8)