Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Because it made me laugh my ass off:
[yt]1n-9uq_lyRQ[/yt]

http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/
A bit of a long read, but worth it for those who want to know the science behind this stuff.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]0fuq8Zgwrwk[/yt]
So much win. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Travis Retriever on August 10, 2014, 07:01:21 PM
[yt]0fuq8Zgwrwk[/yt]
So much win. :)

Canada has made an important (not to mention USEFUL) step forward in this area:  Canadian law recognizes that access to needed medical care in a timely fashion is a right, and does not allow government policy to interfere in the exercise of this right.  (Note the absence of any claimed right to get it paid for by anyone else.)

This was the result of a man in Quebec, who, after not being able to access treatment for a back problem through the government system, began looking for private means to pay for it.  The government of Quebec tried to prohibit private payment for services provided under the Quebec government system, and the courts slapped them (and all the other governments) down.

This is why I respond to comments praising the 'mandatory single-payer government system' in Canada with a reply to the effect of, "I'm glad I live in Canada, where mandatory, single-payer government medical systems ARE ILLEGAL."

"Progressives" don't dare try to do anything about this, either.  This was part of the basis for the Morgentaler decision, which declared Canada's (extremely restrictive) abortion law null and void.  But, because Parliament never changed it, the old text remains in the statute.  If the basis of the decision nullifying it was overturned, the old abortion law would automatically come back into effect.

[yt]vLVA1I2drbU[/yt]
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

August 12, 2014, 03:50:46 PM #4236 Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:46:54 PM by Travis Retriever
Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on August 12, 2014, 03:38:41 PM
[yt]vLVA1I2drbU[/yt]
It's like me, Hawkeye, and Morrakiu say:  feminism is the ideological embodiment of 1st world problems.

[yt]ERj8QKpheJo[/yt]

Thank you! At least some atheists see how repugnant it is to claim that "religion is a mental illness." Religion is merely a set of beliefs, which can easily be discarded by changing your mind. You can change your mind and stop being religious. Can you simply change your mind and stop being schizophrenic?

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

https://mises.org/daily/3631 ("The Fallacy of Intellectual Property" by Daniel Krawisz)
https://mises.org/daily/5025 ("The Fight against Intellectual Property" by Jacob H. Huebert)

Both are timeless. :)

August 12, 2014, 11:46:33 PM #4240 Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:49:03 PM by Travis Retriever
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"--Barry Goldwater.

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies."--Barry Goldwater

Granted, he was no Harry Browne, but he did have his lucid moments. :)

[yt]Bb2u4CGu6fw[/yt]

[yt]jqnWfPsb6I4[/yt]
My two cents on the above video, posted in the comments:
"Fuck Doctor Money. Your sex and biology is NOT a choice, anymore than sexual preference is a choice.  Only even moreso in this case.  Fuck those 'HUR DUR GENDER IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT' shit for brains who defend the atrocity he committed."