Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"Stay away from drugs, stay away growth hormones, stay away from steroids ...Life goes by too quickly, and before you turn around it's all over. If you don't squeeze the last ounce of life out of you, of your life here on Earth with a good wife and a good family, then what are are you doing here? People in hospital are crying out for what you've got. Don't abuse it." - Reg Park
It's worth noting he was mostly active in bodybuilding from the 1940s to 1970s.  So just before the feminists killed marriage.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]YJvEpO46fOU[/yt]

woot woot

Quote from: D on July 06, 2014, 03:22:12 PM
[yt]OoqkEL7m-Oo[/yt]
From the above video: "I think prayer is more effective than voting, and I'm an atheist!"
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

this outlines what i like about 5th over 4th.

[yt]7Sd6QT62SNs[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

I'd post that quote/reply that Richard Dawkins made when asked how he knows to be moral without god, but I can't find it. D:
So to paraphrase: "Are you saying the only reason you don't murder, rape and steal is because you're afraid of punishment?"

http://www.cracked.com/article_21317_5-flawed-tests-that-control-our-lives.html
Loved the bit on BMI as well as the SAT. :) I haven't really read the others, but it wouldn't surprise me tbh.

hehe...even I have a funny moment from time to time:

Quotewell, I never really liked the Game of Thrones: it is just a bunch of assholes fighting over some uncomfortable chair a bunch of sad-saps on a backwards planet with fucked up seasons think signifies that the sitter has some divinely ordained right to rule over everyone. If I wanted to read about shit this stupid, I read a newspaper
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]EeqaRyrdcCY[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: Travis Retriever on July 10, 2014, 12:42:16 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_21317_5-flawed-tests-that-control-our-lives.html
Loved the bit on BMI as well as the SAT. :) I haven't really read the others, but it wouldn't surprise me tbh.

All good ones, but they should have made it 6 and included the polygraph.

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 10, 2014, 05:17:28 PM
All good ones, but they should have made it 6 and included the polygraph.
You thought so too, huh? Glad it wasn't just me. :)

Sean Haugh again, this time to a WRAL pundit bleating on about the "spoiler effect":

QuoteHowdy! It is so frustrating to keep hearing people assert against available evidence that Libertarian voters lean Republican in much of any way. Came here to engage you on that and my heart sank when I saw you are by trade an actual political scientist. Please keep up with your own literature. Because this is the kind of idea that sounds good until you think about it.

The unsupported statement, "Most Libertarians will vote for a Republican if they can't/won't vote for their own candidate." is disproven by this very poll. Something you acknowledge but dismiss out of hand.

Similarly, check out http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/11/07/robert-sarvis-didnt-cost-ken-cuccinelli-the-virginia-governors-race/ which is typical in such situations. "Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the vast majority of Sarvis supporters said that if he were not in the race they simply wouldn't have voted."

I am not having luck finding a source for this, but I do recall a post-election poll in Wisconsin in 2002, where Libertarian Ed Thompson won 10.5% of the vote and also a Green Party candidate Jim Young received 2.5%. The poll struck me by asking Thompson supporters which candidate they would have supported if Thompson weren't in the race. It did not include the option of 'none of these.' Respondents split into nearly perfect thirds in making their second choice there.

If you look at similar instances across the country, I am sure you will find similar results that completely undermine this notion that Libertarian voters like Republicans. I know this is anecdotal, but I can tell you I personally am among the many Libertarian voters I know who wouldn't dream of voting Republican again unless it was for someone really special. Watch my videos and you'll discover that the whole reason I am running is so I could vote for someone in this race.

Please don't be confused by the fact that over the last 4 years many Republican politicians are trying to claim some kind of libertarian credibility. That's different from Libertarian voters feeling any affinity for Republicans. That trend however should clue you into the fact that comparing my race to Mike Beitler's without deeper analysis is somewhat facile. No offense to Mike, I gladly voted for him, but I am a very different candidate and much has changed in the last four years.

yours in liberty -
Sean Haugh
Libertarian for US Senate
919 402 3489

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 12, 2014, 08:46:09 AM
Sean Haugh again, this time to a WRAL pundit bleating on about the "spoiler effect":
*applause!* Very well said, Sean. :)  And yeah, last I checked, you, me, Hawkeye, D, and many others on this board are actually former liberals/democrats.  oops. :3  Hell, I've never voted for a republican candidate in my life, and, unless I'm held at gunpoint, never will.

In response to South Park announcing they're taking most episodes down from SouthParkStudios.com and moving them to Hulu Plus

Found this gem about Tumblr on Tumblr:

QuoteLet me get this straight:
Disney getting lazy with their character designs:a serious matter on Tumblr
Ubisoft not willing to make female characters for Assassin's creed:a serious matter on Tumblr
4chan raids:a serious matter on Tumblr
People are told to shave and behave:a serious matter on Tumblr
World cup:a serious matter on Tumblr (despite sports not being something appealing to a big part of the site)
Israel and Gaza being constantly bombarded by one another:Tumblr doesn't give two shits.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on July 12, 2014, 08:45:24 PM
Found this gem about Tumblr on Tumblr:

You expect Tumblr Activists to care about anything that involves real people actually getting killed?