Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

April 12, 2014, 05:25:05 PM #3886 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:32:06 PM by Travis Retriever
http://www.examiner.com/article/organic-industry-has-been-fibbing-all-along
>>Organic food being just another marketing techinque
I hate to say I told them so...but I DID tell them so!!!

"And Winter and Davis concluded that
'it is premature to conclude that either food system is superior with respect to safety or nutrition.'"
Well, unless you count the e coli being 8x as likely from organic food...

I mean, really statists?  Your precious govco can't even figure out/go after the obvious crooks and yet they're supposed to protect you from criminal masterminds?  Gullible infants...

I also e-mailed the article to my mom, consequences be damned.

Of course it's just a marketing campaign to blast their rivals--the GMOs and the irradiated food.  Color me fucking surprised!
Folks, GMOs are NOT a new thing.  And when done the way they are now, it's even faster and less haphazard.  And considering the proven benefits--Norman Borlaug saving over a billion people from starvation from just a single GM crop--you simply cannot argue against GMOs and be on the side of good.  End of.

"Organic farming is not “bad,” although it is indeed more profitable. It preserves the soil and allows more sustainable farming, often using biological controls to minimize pesticides"
I have my doubts about even that tbh.  Even if that is true, it still doesn't change the fact that if we switched to organic farming as a world, over 3 billion people would die of starvation.
And because of how expensive it is, it implies from economics it uses even more resources (basic economics--cost and amount of resources are proportional). soo....
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

There's nothing about this that isn't win:

I don't remember if I posted this before; apologies if it's a duplicate.

On Quora, the question was asked: "If Jesus's existence is claimed to be a fact and so are his supposed miracles, why do you, as an atheist, still choose not to believe in him?"

Christine Johal's answer is full of win: http://www.quora.com/Jesus/If-Jesuss-existence-is-claimed-to-be-a-fact-and-so-are-his-supposed-miracles-why-do-you-as-an-atheist-still-choose-not-to-believe-in-him/answer/Christine-Johal?srid=ijLg&share=1

My favorite bit: "I did not become an atheist due to lack of information but due to an excess of it. It has been a long, thought-out journey."

Another win from the documentary:

QuoteAmerica has gone totally off the rails in its worship of the wildly undeserving, and that includes the so-called Rock Star running the show right now. Intellectually honest discussion was not on Obama's mind when injected his imaginary son into the Trayvon tale—pening the floodgates for folly. An honorable leader would have withheld commentary until after the trial. And in the event of unrest, the President would educate the nation instead of pandering to it. How I would love to look upon a leader who has the guts to inspire intellectual inquiry when it comes at a price. THAT...would be some change to believe in.

Great bit from The Skeptical Libertarian

QuoteMany of my professional musician/artist friends tend to lean left when it comes to economics. They will talk about how a business isn't a person and how money isn't speech etc. This all while enjoying the luxuries of a fairly unregulated enterprise where their creativity isn't stifled.

So for fun I thought about what it would be like if starting a band was like starting a small business:

1. First you have to find practice space. You better make sure the practice space is commercially zoned. This will greatly increase the value of the property thus inflating the rent to about 3-4 times more than what it costs to rent a non-commercial property of that size

2. Get a band license. These typically run about 60,000 dollars and are limited.

To get one, first you have to apply. Then you have to post in public your intention of purchasing a band license, allowing neighbors to anonymously object to said purchase. After that you have to go to a zoning hearing with your neighbors and state your case. This includes what type of band, when you will be playing and the type of music.

The zoning board and the community agree that heavy metal is not good for the neighborhood and that if you want a band it can only have three members and it has to be country.

3. Once your band license is approved and purchased, it's time for each member of the band to get certified in music safety. This costs $100 dollars a member and must be retaken every two years. Once you receive it, it must be displayed at by your band at all times.

4. Now your band is required by law to purchase various types of insurance. This costs thousands of dollars a year.

5. Once this is done, now you have to be approved by the band inspector.

He tells that you can only use Ernie Ball guitar strings and they have to be replaced every two months and that every band member must wear safety gloves when they play. You also have to buy these items from state sanctioned distributers and you cannot purchase over state lines.

6. You also learn that you may be liable for any damages done by individuals to either themselves or others, as a result of experiencing your music.

7. Every band member must be over 18 and be an American citizen or possess a work vista. All their information must also be submitted to the Department of Homeland Security. - b

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 14, 2014, 03:23:28 PM
I don't get it

Its just saying how DC comics took a character that most young females can look up to and turned her into a slut 

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on April 14, 2014, 04:00:16 PM
2. Get a band license. These typically run about 60,000 dollars and are limited.

And you have to get one from a competing band.

Fucking win. Nancy Grace is a piece of shit.

Quote from: D on April 14, 2014, 08:11:59 PM
Fucking win. Nancy Grace is a piece of shit.

I remember her being lambasted on Boston Legal. The character's name was actually Gracie Jane, but everyone knew who she was supposed to be.

Quote from: Dukect45 on April 14, 2014, 04:37:58 PM
Its just saying how DC comics took a character that most young females can look up to and turned her into a slut

And they did it by pasting over a bunch of stuff that sounds like they copied it from Marvel's Carol Danvers.

Quote from: Dukect45 on April 14, 2014, 04:37:58 PM

The tragic thing, whenever you see huge, often dumb, changes like this, it's almost always due to an editorial mandate.

Which is just further evidence that EDITORS ARE NOT WRITERS AND NEED TO STOP PRETENDING THEY ARE!!  Ugh...

And people ask me why I don't send my comic to a publisher.  And have it get THAT kind of treatment?  Never!
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...