Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: VectorM on September 20, 2013, 10:28:41 AM
In my experience, people who would wear a Tesla shirt (and the people on the internet that worship him), are just as clueless as the Che folk. At least Tesla was not a tyrannical scumbag, but that's besides the point.

The thing to remember about Tesla is, he was a complete nutjob who could come up with 1001 crazy ideas. But he would then TEST THOSE IDEAS and find out which ones worked, and throw out the ones that didn't. Of course, that takes time, so we have a lot of leftover crazy ideas from the end of his life he never had the opportunity to test and see if they work or not. Lots of conspiracy crazies (especially the "free energy" folks) grab those and run with it.

Me, I'd totally wear a Tesla shirt!

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

[yt]Ki9QiPw7gB4[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: MrBogosity on September 20, 2013, 02:27:41 PM
The thing to remember about Tesla is, he was a complete nutjob who could come up with 1001 crazy ideas. But he would then TEST THOSE IDEAS and find out which ones worked, and throw out the ones that didn't. Of course, that takes time, so we have a lot of leftover crazy ideas from the end of his life he never had the opportunity to test and see if they work or not. Lots of conspiracy crazies (especially the "free energy" folks) grab those and run with it.

Me, I'd totally wear a Tesla shirt!

It also takes MONEY to test out those ideas, and he ran out of that long before he ran out of time.

(Tesla decided to forgo his license fees from Westinghouse in order to help Westinghouse avoid bankruptcy.  He died in poverty in a hotel room in New York, NY, before the litigation on the radio patents, which could have made him rich again, was completed.  Incidentally, he won, in the end.  Not only did Tesla invent essentially all the basic technology of AC current, he also invented key parts of the basic technology of radio.)

Funny how this old political cartoon from the 1960s remains relevant even today:

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

Quote from: BlameThe1st on September 23, 2013, 02:18:36 PM
Funny how this old political cartoon from the 1960s remains relevant even today:

Good find. I'm going to show this to the next guy who tries to pull the "we live in a democracy and you can say damn near everythign you want" bullshit.

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: nilecroc on September 24, 2013, 10:11:24 AM
Only the fucking government can cut off power to its customers and blame it on them.
Indeed.  One more reason I know my prof is full of shit calling them "natural monopolies".

Speaking of stupid refuted/addressed:  http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/7-moronic-ways-hollywood-wants-to-teach-kids-about-piracy/
You know this should be something.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on September 26, 2013, 12:41:05 PM
Indeed.  One more reason I know my prof is full of shit calling them "natural monopolies".

Speaking of stupid refuted/addressed:  http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/7-moronic-ways-hollywood-wants-to-teach-kids-about-piracy/
You know this should be something.

There's a lot of false equivalency in that article. Number 5 does kinda have a point, but I don't see how it would relate to the issue being taught. I mean, what could you possible do with a pirated song that would be remotely like jumping a bike off...I'll call it a pool since I don't remember what it was?

[yt]JSHm8-zqy8g[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart