Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's a quote Shane will probably appreciate.

First the fail from a youtube user named Starmachine1

"Julie, why dont you care about Adam kokesh? you speak out about ALOT of things BUT when one of the people in the movement gets kidnapped by 20 swat team members and held withOUT bail for making a youtube video......you silence is compliance.

i guess who care right? your NOT in a cage!"

Then the winning response from Julie Borowski

"Hey, maybe, saying this would be more effective: "Hey Julie. I would really appreciate it if you would take at least 8 hours (the average length it takes you to make one video) in your spare time outside of your busy work and family life to create a video on the Adam Kokesh situation. Thank you." Plus, you are more than welcome to make your own YouTube video too. :)"

I get requests when you want to see someone's personal take, but when it turns into a demand based on a sense of entitlement I tend to get irritated and I don't make videos.

Quote from: Goaticus on August 16, 2013, 11:48:50 PM
Here's a quote Shane will probably appreciate.

First the fail from a youtube user named Starmachine1

"Julie, why dont you care about Adam kokesh? you speak out about ALOT of things BUT when one of the people in the movement gets kidnapped by 20 swat team members and held withOUT bail for making a youtube video......you silence is compliance.

i guess who care right? your NOT in a cage!"

Then the winning response from Julie Borowski

"Hey, maybe, saying this would be more effective: "Hey Julie. I would really appreciate it if you would take at least 8 hours (the average length it takes you to make one video) in your spare time outside of your busy work and family life to create a video on the Adam Kokesh situation. Thank you." Plus, you are more than welcome to make your own YouTube video too. :)"

I get requests when you want to see someone's personal take, but when it turns into a demand based on a sense of entitlement I tend to get irritated and I don't make videos.
Or maybe just ask what her thoughts on the Adam Kokesh situation? Lord knows that's what I would have done.  Faster for the both of us, tbh.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 16, 2013, 11:50:58 PM
Or maybe just ask what her thoughts on the Adam Kokesh situation? Lord knows that's what I would have done.  Faster for the both of us, tbh.

I think he was looking for her to spread the word. His statement made it sound like he felt she had to devote time to this issue for whatever reason.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 16, 2013, 11:44:30 PM
[yt]gOwWzFOvCq8[/yt]

I'm sorry, but I've got to call this video a fail. Not only does it take him almost two minutes to start getting to his point (a sure sign of narcissism if you ask me), his first problem is that Simba is a TYPICAL KID. I guess he feels that the hero character should be absolutely good and perfect all the time, even when very immature. Let's just ignore the fact that most of the movie is largely about Simba growing up, mentally as well as physically. And he says this is the BIGGEST problem with the film!

And for doing what every single kid ever has done, this twit says that Mufasa should beat him and send him back to sleep! I sincerely hope he never has children!

"But *I* was never like that!" Oh, really? You don't think your mother could tell us stories if we asked her? Yeah, narcissist.

QuoteEspecially the parts regarding Timon and Pumba.  Never understood what people saw in them...

It makes perfect sense when you realize they're supposed to be Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 08:56:41 AM
I'm sorry, but I've got to call this video a fail. Not only does it take him almost two minutes to start getting to his point (a sure sign of narcissism if you ask me),
Is it something you've seen lots of moonhoaxers/creationists/state cultists/anti-vaxxers do?  I ask because I don't see it.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 08:56:41 AMhis first problem is that Simba is a TYPICAL KID.  I guess he feels that the hero character should be absolutely good and perfect all the time, even when very immature. Let's just ignore the fact that most of the movie is largely about Simba growing up, mentally as well as physically. And he says this is the BIGGEST problem with the film!
But then, as he goes on later in the review, it gets to the point that adult Simba seems completely detached from kid Simba.  The asshole (kid) vs the cucumber (adult) as he puts it in part 3 I think it was?  And of course the bit about how Simba the kid is told by Scar that it's his fault for his dad's death.  Presumably because he was on the rock for his dad to rescue...even though Scar was the one who put him there and, even after Simba offered to get his dad, and the bird (can't remember his name) wanted to go get help was smacked for it, Simba still thinks he's to blame for it.  Though I disagree with Matt's bit of "even a grief stricken kid could have figured this out" he couldn't have figured it out when he got older?  Like, you know before facing off Scar--who told everyone Simba died in the stampede and whose presence there contradicts that story?  Rather than asking if it's true he killed the king?  Even though he said that both died in a stampede?  I suppose you could argue that their hunger/situation made logic harder, but damn.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 08:56:41 AMAnd for doing what every single kid ever has done, this twit says that Mufasa should beat him and send him back to sleep! I sincerely hope he never has children!
Yeah, no arguments there.  I thought that was really out of line.  Especially the part where he hopes the hyenas eat him.  That was kinda psychopathic of him.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 08:56:41 AM"But *I* was never like that!" Oh, really? You don't think your mother could tell us stories if we asked her? Yeah, narcissist.
He also claims that no one he knew was like that.  Either he grew up alone with only his parents, or he's full of shit.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 08:56:41 AMIt makes perfect sense when you realize they're supposed to be Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
This is what I get for not being more familiar with Shakespeare's Hamlet.   They always struck me as a lame 'hey look at me!' distraction from the main characters.  I suppose at the very least you *could* argue that they saved his life from when they found him (it looked like he was going to die, if not from depression then from dehydration) and provided him with two 'friends'/companions to grow up with instead of being alone.

Finally, did you see the 2nd and 3rd parts of the review? I only posted the first, but I thought anyone could just look to the sidebar for the others.  Either way, here they are:

[yt]Rg9gFfxBy4E[/yt]

[yt]d1FN1DBY4qM[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 17, 2013, 04:13:12 PM
Is it something you've seen lots of moonhoaxers/creationists/state cultists/anti-vaxxers do?  I ask because I don't see it.

Moon hoaxers are pretty bad about it. No other group stands out, although there certainly have been plenty.

QuoteBut then, as he goes on later in the review, it gets to the point that adult Simba seems completely detached from kid Simba.

Mostly because we skipped over a lot of growth and development in his adolescent years.

QuoteAnd of course the bit about how Simba the kid is told by Scar that it's his fault for his dad's death.  Presumably because he was on the rock for his dad to rescue...even though Scar was the one who put him there and, even after Simba offered to get his dad, and the bird (can't remember his name) wanted to go get help was smacked for it, Simba still thinks he's to blame for it.

Children can be very easily manipulated that way. Just look at any custody battle where at least one parent is being just as much of an asshole as Scar.

QuoteThough I disagree with Matt's bit of "even a grief stricken kid could have figured this out" he couldn't have figured it out when he got older?

It's a form of ABUSE! You can't put that on him!

QuoteFinally, did you see the 2nd and 3rd parts of the review? I only posted the first, but I thought anyone could just look to the sidebar for the others.

Saw the first bit of part 2 then gave up on the whole thing.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 05:23:34 PM
Moon hoaxers are pretty bad about it. No other group stands out, although there certainly have been plenty.
Yeah, I figured as much.  Hence why I listed them first.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 05:23:34 PMMostly because we skipped over a lot of growth and development in his adolescent years.
That's true. I guess it would have been nice to see some of that growth, but then, time constraints on movies, etc.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 05:23:34 PMChildren can be very easily manipulated that way. Just look at any custody battle where at least one parent is being just as much of an asshole as Scar.
Good point.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 05:23:34 PMIt's a form of ABUSE! You can't put that on him!
The not figuring out part you mean or the stampede part?

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 05:23:34 PMSaw the first bit of part 2 then gave up on the whole thing.
Ah.  Fair enough.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 17, 2013, 05:47:47 PM
The not figuring out part you mean or the stampede part?

Both. Often it takes years of therapy for the victim to stop blaming himself. If anything, Simba turned around a little TOO fast after Scar confessed to him!

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 05:50:35 PM
Both. Often it takes years of therapy for the victim to stop blaming himself. If anything, Simba turned around a little TOO fast after Scar confessed to him!
Makes sense.  So I guess The Lion King was a good movie after all. Nice.  And here I just thought it was because it had cats. :P

And speaking of Disney movies:

http://blamethe1st.deviantart.com/art/Sheriff-Of-Nottingham-Explains-Taxes-393975193

Well done, Blamethe1st!

The impression I always got from the stampede was that Simba was led to believe that his attempt at roaring was what got the herd stirred up.  After all, it was Scar who suggested her work on it.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on August 17, 2013, 06:17:02 PM
The impression I always got from the stampede was that Simba was led to believe that his attempt at roaring was what got the herd stirred up.  After all, it was Scar who suggested her work on it.
Good point. I forgot about that.

Wait what happened with Kokesh? Can somebody link me?

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on August 17, 2013, 06:17:02 PM

Actually, Simba's roaring did start the stampede, which is what Skar was hoping for. Said stampede distracted the rest of the pride long enough for Skar and Mufasta to have a ten minute conversation, which ended with Skar killing Mufasta.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 17, 2013, 11:51:34 PM

That's a fail.  On the right it also should have had "you own a gun" too. :P