Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
[yt]Tv-6YpUzQdA[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 05, 2013, 12:48:48 PM
A lot harder than with Microsoft Windows, I take it.
So what about malware, spyware, etc?  Should I get an anti-virus just for those, use Malwarebytes/SpybotSearchanddestroy, or something else?

You can get the usual browser plugins to block stuff like that. There's also a free command line version of Avast!, but all that really does is scan your files for Windows viruses.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 05, 2013, 12:48:48 PM
A lot harder than with Microsoft Windows, I take it.
So what about malware, spyware, etc?  Should I get an anti-virus just for those, use Malwarebytes/SpybotSearchanddestroy, or something else?

Malware of other types depends on what you're using.  If you use things like Flash and Java, it is (at least in principle) possible for malware to be written inside a platform-independent runtime environment.  However, this sort is far less dangerous (and far less useful to crackers) than native OS-level malware because the inherent security model of those platforms greatly restricts what it can do without explicit permission.  Even what it can do is less effective, because Linux distros don't always put things in the same places.  This makes it harder for malware to find, say, your email settings and start sending out spam if it does get in and somehow run without being noticed.  (The whole structure of a UNIX-like OS makes malare far more difficult to write.  The people who developed the security systems for this class of OSes were often the ones who wrote blindingly obvious attack programs for other multiuser OSes that didn't have good security models, and the originators had been working on Multics, the most secure OS written for a long time, possibly ever.  Check The Jargon File for some examples of these attack programs and why they were written.)

If you're passing files to and from Windows machines, however, you would be polite to get yourself a good scanner to check the files you're passing in and out of your Linux box to not act as a carrier.

If you want anti-virus on Linux, I think using the clamav daemon is the best.  Low resources, on-access scanning, the best coverage for Linux specific viruses and pretty good coverage of Windows.  There are other things you can due to prevent them as well, like PaX, SELinux, etc. but they are more specific to particular distributions.

Quote from: BogosityForumUser on August 05, 2013, 05:13:03 PM
If you want anti-virus on Linux, I think using the clamav daemon is the best.  Low resources, on-access scanning, the best coverage for Linux specific viruses and pretty good coverage of Windows.  There are other things you can due to prevent them as well, like PaX, SELinux, etc. but they are more specific to particular distributions.
ClamAV is pretty much for email servers. I don't think the normal user would need it.

Personally, I believe in a defense-in-depth approach and, like evensgrey suggested, want to be nice to Windows users by scanning the files get and any that I pass on.  But I agree, that it is probably not necessary for a home user that doesn't run as root on most modern Linux installations.

[yt]yRTKQX62HWQ[/yt]

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

[yt]UUljE1ODdSF7LS9xx9eWq0GQ[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 08, 2013, 03:38:07 AM
[yt]UUljE1ODdSF7LS9xx9eWq0GQ[/yt]

I don't know what video you were trying to embed, but you definitely pasted in the wrong thing.

From this:  http://blamethe1st.tumblr.com/post/57708764403/yoisthisracist-anonymous-asked-i-used-to-be-a

"I used to be a statist, then I graduated college and got better. My dumb government-worshipping beliefs also died not long after that.

Honestly, I get how feeling that the government can solve everything might seem logical, if you're super stupid, have no understanding of how the world works (especially economics), and are an entitled teenager. Everyone else, you have no excuse. Entitled teenagers, you actually don't have any excuse either."

BTF's bit on that stuff he posted in fail quotes. Well played.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

August 08, 2013, 04:23:42 PM #2984 Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:26:44 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: tnu on July 09, 2013, 11:06:39 AM
[yt]KL9_BIENLH4[/yt]

Mister Sterling? You absolutely hit the nail on the head.
Funny he should cozy up to steam in that.
A true story (incoming wall 'o text):

Since I was at dorm at university, I didn't really have the time to update steam on this computer (my desktop at home), so when I go to have it updated, it has about 96 MB (or more) worth of it.  No problem, I attempt to download it...and it says I was haven't network issues in that steam must be online...
Odd, my connection was good at the time...no worries, I try again, thinking it will resume.

I mean, hell, even Blizzard has enough brain-cells to know that not everyone has a 100 GB/s connection especially here in the states, right? I restart steam and it starts the updating from the beginning with the same end result of no luck*  "Well, this is lame." I thought to myself. "This means I can't play the two games--Terraria and Skyrim--that I legally purchased because you need to be online to play them."  No connection, no game.

Needless to say, I felt scammed.  I was considering pirating them--I couldn't play my own legally purchased games ffs!--when I had a whiz kid moment.  Before I had to leave the dorm for good (lease ran out not too long ago), I updated steam best I could on my laptop--my university has a smoking fast internet connection.  I've clocked it at between 50 to 100+ times faster than my home connection of 40 KB/s to 86 KB/s.  With that done, I then grab the steam files from the programs folder of my laptop and put/replace/merge them with the ones on my desktop.  I crossed my fingers as I did the transfer (using an external HDD, natch.  It was over 10 GB of files, much too big for a tiny 4 GB thumbdrive.)  After the transfer, I try and start steam and after being told to update it (like before), I cringe, but it actually finished this time and I could play my games!  Sheesh.

So yeah, "it's not yet perfect"--biggest understatement of the fucking decade, Sterling.  Had I not had access to my university's connection, I would no longer be able to play my own fucking games!

*As Shane said: "Not resumable?  Inexcusable in this day and age!  And they wonder why people resort to piracy."