Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"If I had to pick out the one question that I think is the most important of all it is this: Have you ever held a job that caused a body part to hurt at the end of the day? It's okay if you just have feet that ache because you've been standing on your feet all day. That counts too.

But if you have never held such a job, you are intrinsically, inherently, ineluctably unable to understand the lives of a great many of your fellow countrymen who do hold such jobs. I hope that the quiz has had a salutary effect on bringing to people's attention the degree to which they live in a bubble that seals them off from an awful lot of their fellow American citizens."

Charles Murray
His vid on Big Think "Are you a snob?  Take the test"
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

I'm sorry if I already posted this but I really don't remember and the forums have been lagging like crazy for me for weeks. I just have to share this if I haven't.

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on July 29, 2013, 12:09:29 AM
"If I had to pick out the one question that I think is the most important of all it is this: Have you ever held a job that caused a body part to hurt at the end of the day? It's okay if you just have feet that ache because you've been standing on your feet all day. That counts too.

But if you have never held such a job, you are intrinsically, inherently, ineluctably unable to understand the lives of a great many of your fellow countrymen who do hold such jobs. I hope that the quiz has had a salutary effect on bringing to people's attention the degree to which they live in a bubble that seals them off from an awful lot of their fellow American citizens."

Charles Murray
His vid on Big Think "Are you a snob?  Take the test"

My first job and my current job both have that property.  That first job caused me to resolve ot strive to never have to hold such a job again.  As with many things in life, life handed me a situation where I had the choice and decided the hob that made me hurt was a better choice (since I could readily calculate how much more the commute would cost than the slightly higher wages would be).  I later learned that it would have been employment by a company I would prefer to never work for again (not really bad, just quite indifferently managed and treating workers as extremely replaceable due to the experience of replacing them so fast) in a building I loathed working in before (where it was an actively malevolently and stupidly mismanaged company that's continued to slide further and further towards oblivion since then).

I know it's been posted before, but I just can't get enough of it:

[yt]dTbobcwtebg[/yt]
This seems interesting
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Libertarian Candidate for Florida Governor Adrian Wyllie speaks at Lake Wales, FL:

[yt]0FIttBbA8JE[/yt]

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

August 03, 2013, 01:01:16 AM #2948 Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:05:32 AM by Ibrahim90
a joke from some Palestinians I found to be a favorite (warning, kinda morbid and messed up):

Quotethere was a guy from Hebron named Abd ali, who had a corner store called "Abd Ali and associates". Some police saw this and asked him: "who are your associates?" so he said "I'm alone--that's just the name". The police, angered, replied "that is Fraud!", so they beat him up.

He was so humiliated by this that he Moved from Palestine to Saudi Arabia, where he founded a new store, "Abd Ali al-wahid" (Abd Ali (lit. Servent of Ali) the one). The local authorities promptly beheaded him.

And another:

QuoteOnce a boy asked his father for two shekels, to take a round trip by bus through a check point. The father only gives him one, saying "you don't need the other: you'll come home in an ambulance!"

"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

I think you'll have to explain the first one more.

August 03, 2013, 04:18:49 AM #2950 Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:25:55 AM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 03, 2013, 01:07:37 AM
I think you'll have to explain the first one more.

think about it: he was a lone grocery owner who had a store called "Abd Ali and Associates" back in Hebron, Palestine. when he moved over (after being beaten for this) to Saudi Arabia, he renamed the store "Abd Ali the one", which in Arabic is "Abd-Ali Al-wahid", to advertise that he was the only owner of the store. I linked the Wikipedia article, so you can see the joke behind this--or rather, the irony.

It's actually one of a whole series of jokes about people from Hebron--stereotypically depicted as absent minded, stupid, clumsy, or stubborn.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 03, 2013, 04:18:49 AM

think about it: he was a lone grocery owner who had a store called "Abd Ali and Associates" back in Hebron, Palestine. when he moved over (after being beaten for this) to Saudi Arabia, he renamed the store "Abd Ali the one", which in Arabic is "Abd-Ali Al-wahid", to advertise that he was the only owner of the store. I linked the Wikipedia article, so you can see the joke behind this--or rather, the irony.

It's actually one of a whole series of jokes about people from Hebron--stereotypically depicted as absent minded, stupid, clumsy, or stubborn.

So Hebron fulfills a role in Palestinian humor similar to the role of Chelm, Poland in traditional Jewish humor, Newfoundland in Canadian humor, and the entire country of Poland in American humor.

[yt]Alf-lAS9nu0[/yt]

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537