Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: D on August 29, 2012, 01:51:47 PM
[yt]21dswxQhJS8[/yt]

agreed on all five points.

in my case it's hard to get a job in geology without a degree: I'm currently looking for work in the field, having graduated in geology, and I can tell you that the least they ask is just that: a bachelor's in geology (I could go lower, and do: those still demand at least an associate's degree).

thankfully, jobs in that field are plentiful enough, and I have no trouble finding places to apply to that want new people (heck, at least I do have some experience). problem is, no one will hire me, even if the requirements are a perfect match for yours truly--which is funny, because they specifically stated they wanted fresh graduates with limited experience, and a bachelors (and checking, not many people are applying, and most don't have what I have). that, and they've shown to me that they will hire complete idiots: logically if they're willing to do that, they can hire a guy with a 3.6 GPA and a long history of getting things done--in geology and out.

so as an addendum to the two up there: some places will hire new people, only if such people are complete jackasses. srsly, it's like they're suicidal.

and don't get me started on minimum wage jobs: none want anything to do with me--at least every since the minimum wage rose (surprised?)
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

[yt]yJnAp3YxCCw[/yt]

My favorite lyric is the female singers line "Sometimes I think Nobel Peace Prize winners shouldn't have a kill list."

[yt]CnTeNkH_lsg[/yt]

In response to Jack Hunter aka the Southern Avenger writing this. "My first Republican Convention reminded me far more of a WWE event than any rock concert I've ever been to. Am I right Norman Singleton?"

Someone named Jason Garner replied "is that because it was rigged and just a show?"

Quote from: Goaticus on September 01, 2012, 03:31:46 PM
In response to Jack Hunter aka the Southern Avenger writing this. "My first Republican Convention reminded me far more of a WWE event than any rock concert I've ever been to. Am I right Norman Singleton?"

Someone named Jason Garner replied "is that because it was rigged and just a show?"

[wrestling fan rant]Ugh, I fucking hate the use of that term to describe pro wrestling. "Rigged" has such negative connotations about it and makes it sound like a malicious scam. Wrestling is staged, yes, but people KNOW it is staged and still go to watch it anyway because it is enjoyable. You never hear this kind of bullshit to describe movies or television shows. You know, for the most part, that the hero is going to win but nobody says "Oh this shit is so rigged."[/wrestling fan rant]

Quote from: D on September 01, 2012, 03:44:43 PM
[wrestling fan rant]Ugh, I fucking hate the use of that term to describe pro wrestling. "Rigged" has such negative connotations about it and makes it sound like a malicious scam. Wrestling is staged, yes, but people KNOW it is staged and still go to watch it anyway because it is enjoyable. You never hear this kind of bullshit to describe movies or television shows. You know, for the most part, that the hero is going to win but nobody says "Oh this shit is so rigged."[/wrestling fan rant]

The problem is some people think that pro wrestling should be to amateur wrestling like pro boxing (or almost any other pro martial art) is to amateur boxing (or almost any other amateur martial art).  So far as I know, there's never been a pro wrestling outfit anywhere in the world that worked that way.  I've seen real wrestling, and it's rather a dull sport, compared to pretty much all the other martial arts.  (For those who've never seen it, the objective is to pin your opponent's shoulders to the mat such that they are unable to free themselves.  That's it.  And the moves that are allowed are quite restricted in many ways.  All you're doing is trying to get your opponent tired enough that he can't free himself while not getting so tired yourself that you can't pin him down.  There's quite a bit of strategy involved, but there's not much of a show in it.)  Pro wrestling, everywhere that I've ever heard of, is all about the show, the characters, the good vs. evil drama (and Mexico has the US and Canada completely outclassed when it comes to the drama, in and out of the ring, they even had a guy who went for 10 years in total disguise, and in the end turned out to be a priest who was wrestling to raise money for charity, all in secret).

I had a grandfather who knew a wrestling promoter back before WWII, and the wrestlers back then came out to his farm and spent a whole week planning and practicing the match, so we can go back over 70 years and see that pro wrestling hasn't changed at the core, only in how the show gets done.

[yt]BXaaM9a4Iqk[/yt]

Quote from: D on September 01, 2012, 03:44:43 PM

When they say it about a TV show, they say they found the drama unconvincing or the villain unthreatening. :-P

Suspension of disbelief is required for entertainment like that to work. For some people, wrestling does this fine or very well. For others, it doesn't. In the latter, it makes it difficult to enjoy.

Of course, some people take a snobbish attitude just to feel better about themselves, but that's different.

Quote from: Virgil0211 on September 03, 2012, 06:41:49 PM
When they say it about a TV show, they say they found the drama unconvincing or the villain unthreatening. :-P

Suspension of disbelief is required for entertainment like that to work. For some people, wrestling does this fine or very well. For others, it doesn't. In the latter, it makes it difficult to enjoy.

Of course, some people take a snobbish attitude just to feel better about themselves, but that's different.

It probably helps when you don't beat up people like John Stossel for saying it's faked.

Quote from: MrBogosity on September 03, 2012, 06:50:30 PM
It probably helps when you don't beat up people like John Stossel for saying it's faked.

Its amazing how many people use that clip in comments sections instead of arguments.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

[yt]MFonPfVEMP8&[/yt]

See Hawkeye Rant

"I don't get this at all. If people think govco's SOOOOO great, why are their standards so low?

Could you imagine someone applying to be a CEO with "Well, I'm a rich elite who never did an honest day's work in my life. I have a credit rating so bad that I can't get a credit card. I've bankrupted at least two companies in the past. Oh and I honest to goodness believe that deficit spending is a sustainable financial plan. So do I get the job?"

For leader of a nation, the qualifications should be even higher. Nothing less than a flawless criminal record, solid first hand experience with economics and strict psychiatric evaluation at the very least.

And yet...you don't have to pass ANY ethics tests to run for public office, you can have no experience whatsoever with the private sector yet be trusted to centrally plan it. For crying out loud, you don't even have to pass a freaking BACKGROUND CHECK!! Seriously, there are a number of people in congress right now who have done jail time. Why does that not worry anybody?

Because it has nothing to do with the will of the people, never did. Everyone in public office got in due to having prior connections. It's nepotism, it's aristocracy and I wish people would stop dignifying it..."
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on September 05, 2012, 06:16:08 PM
See Hawkeye Rant

"I don't get this at all. If people think govco's SOOOOO great, why are their standards so low?

Could you imagine someone applying to be a CEO with "Well, I'm a rich elite who never did an honest day's work in my life. I have a credit rating so bad that I can't get a credit card. I've bankrupted at least two companies in the past. Oh and I honest to goodness believe that deficit spending is a sustainable financial plan. So do I get the job?"

For leader of a nation, the qualifications should be even higher. Nothing less than a flawless criminal record, solid first hand experience with economics and strict psychiatric evaluation at the very least.

And yet...you don't have to pass ANY ethics tests to run for public office, you can have no experience whatsoever with the private sector yet be trusted to centrally plan it. For crying out loud, you don't even have to pass a freaking BACKGROUND CHECK!! Seriously, there are a number of people in congress right now who have done jail time. Why does that not worry anybody?

Because it has nothing to do with the will of the people, never did. Everyone in public office got in due to having prior connections. It's nepotism, it's aristocracy and I wish people would stop dignifying it..."

Particularly egregious case:  Marion Barry.

He was mayor of Washington, D.C. , when he was arrested and the n convicted for doing drugs with hookers.  When he got out, he ran for mayor again, and he won.  He's STILL on Washington City Council, and he's been called "Mayor For Life".  He's apparently a big deal inside the Democratic Party.

Someone fixed it for you Miss Warren
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...