Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
[yt]w-x9V-pVBOs[/yt]
Never thought I'd post one of SMOSH's videos in this thread.  But yeah.  That one was made of win.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

"Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' And Vanity comes along and asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But Conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must do it because Conscience tells him it is right. I believe today that there is a need for all people of good will to come together with a massive act of conscience and say in the words of the old Negro spiritual, 'We ain't goin' study war no more.'" --Martin Luther King, Jr.

[yt]bwEcH7HGSZY[/yt]

Just got through watching that. Good speech!

January 21, 2012, 02:03:54 AM #1309 Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:12:54 AM by Ibrahim90
well, keeping to the idea that one places favorite quotes here (no one said what topic), I thought I'd add this. for some context, this is a modding project for Medieval II: total war, called Europa Barbarorum II. it's been going on since 2009, and the wait...well, it plays with people's minds:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?118629-Twitter-discussion/page53 (it goes on to the next page or two)

here's what I thought was the best of the bunch-it's about[wiki]Tarbosaurus[/wiki]' (farcical) use in the Hellenistic era:

Quote from: moonburnhistorically their main problem was that you couldn´t have cavalry if you used those babies and if we consider that todays closest living relative to those beauty´s are the chicken then their original place of domestication south east asia doesn´t show up in our map wich brings in more problems in explaining and portraying the enviroment in wich they ended up being domesticated originally, most archeological evidences show that at the start they consumed only 1 virgin every 2 weeks per animal until people started to feed them with pigs and other mamals wich lead to an increase in their methabolic rate and their numbers increased dramatically wich caused demographic problems due to the competition for food most empires that used them where considered invincible but fell down due to internal problems because everytime there was a draught those babies revolted and started eating the peasents wich lead to popular outcry against the excessive budget of the army required to mantain those special units wich where inefective in amphibious attacks or against simple stakes in the ground

in many ways and in comparison with todays civilizations they could be considered the atom bomb of their day since the creation costs too much resources and once you use them you´ll be doomed in the short medium term so yes they look nice but their priçe goes far beyond their recruitment cost (/stupidity)

and yes, I did (accidentally) start this-the silly paleontologist in me. I fear it might become a meme.  :shrug:

and yes, I do feel embarrassed by this.  :-[

"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"If you truly love the unborn, the LAST thing you should want to do is turn it into the incredible failure the War on Drugs has been." --Me

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on January 21, 2012, 02:03:54 AMwell, keeping to the idea that one places favorite quotes here (no one said what topic)
It doesn't matter the topic.  It's fairly open-ended as should be implied from Hawkeye's first post to this thread.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 21, 2012, 09:37:19 PM
"If you truly love the unborn, the LAST thing you should want to do is turn it into the incredible failure the War on Drugs has been." --Me
Or support the selling of the unborn via the national debt.

NSC is back, baby!

[yt]tz3EEqtcJME[/yt]

I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

"The real test of a radical or revolutionary is not the willingness to confront the orthodoxy and arrogance of the rulers but the readiness to contest the illusions and falsehoods among close friends and allies." --Christopher Hitchens

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear." --R. Lee Wrights

Full of win: http://reason.com/archives/2012/01/24/do-we-need-a-law-to-make-people-think

QuoteMembers of the General Assembly seem to have some kind of disassociative disorder. When a woman walks into a gun store, socially conservative legislators like Cole treat her as rational, well informed, and fully capable of making her own decisions without a lot of "bureaucratic red tape." But if the same woman walks into an abortion clinic, suddenly she's an addled dimwit who hasn't given her decision two seconds' thought, and somebody needs to make her.

It's probably fair to say many of the more liberal members of the Assembly share the same biases in reverse: Women who get abortions have thought long and hard, they believe, but gun buyers are just walking blends of testosterone and nitroglycerine, ready to explode at the slightest nudge.

This doesn't paint a very flattering picture of the citizens the lawmakers represent. But the picture it paints of the legislators themselves should be downright embarrassing.

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.
This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.
Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.
This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic." - Tim Thomas on why he didn't go to the White House with the rest of the Boston Bruins.

From a question on reddit to Barry Eisler, author and former CIA case officer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/ouml9/iama_bestselling_novelist_and_former_cia_who/

"Is it true that the CIA created dinosaurs to discourage time travel?"