Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.  We ask not your counsels or your arms.  Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.  May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."  -- Samuel Adams
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

[yt]VLYETWg1Q8M[/yt]

"Left-wing politicians take away your liberty in the name of children and of fighting poverty, while right-wing politicians do it in the name of family values and fighting drugs. Either way, government gets bigger and you become less free."

Harry Browne

[yt]4zyo10lusCY[/yt]

It was great until it turned into a Ron Paul love fest.

I like Ron and all, but when you're talking about how Republicans and Democrats are the same, and how elections are a farce, you don't finish the segment by endorsing another Republican for that election, even if he does have pretty good ideas.

"Too many in the press interpret any public expression--no matter what--as a desire for more government. If rioters burned down IRS offices and lynched IRS agents, these reporters would assume the rioters were upset because their taxes were too low." --Harry Browne

"A government dogmatist is someone who, after government has legislated away all non-government alternatives, says that Libertarians are hypocrites for not using those alternatives." --Me

(For talking points purposes, "alternatives" are things like private fire departments, private post offices, private roads, etc.)

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 09, 2012, 09:20:24 AM
"A government dogmatist is someone who, after government has legislated away all non-government alternatives, says that Libertarians are hypocrites for not using those alternatives." --Me

(For talking points purposes, "alternatives" are things like private fire departments, private post offices, private roads, etc.)
True.
That.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[yt]XPPm4885DVo[/yt]

"Next time someone's in court for missing some obscure tax payment, he should just say 'I'll be my own defense' and just bring in book after book after book after book of the tax code, look at the judge and say 'are you kidding me?!  Ignorance of the law is no excuse?  Does ANYBODY know what's in these books?  No!  Don't give me this ridiculous nonsense.'"  - Stefan
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

@LordTHawkeye: I posted a comment about why you went over 10....I think you might be interested in it.  :P
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Jerry Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy.

"    in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself. Examples in education would be teachers who work and sacrifice to teach children, vs. union representatives who work to protect any teacher including the most incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions."

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on January 10, 2012, 12:08:53 AM
@LordTHawkeye: I posted a comment about why you went over 10....I think you might be interested in it.  :P

"These go to 11!" --Spın̈al Tap

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 10, 2012, 06:40:24 AM
"These go to 11!" --Spın̈al Tap

;D

actually, it's the fact that he made a Doug Walker reference (he is the Nostalgia critic/thatguywiththeglasses).
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"There's not an exercise or workout that can be done with an audience that wouldn't be far more comfortable being done alone." -- (From #5 on the list)

"The problem with political jokes is they get elected." - Henry Cate