Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm leaving this set to play from the start so you can see the taxes Chris Pirillo is talking about, but the quoted portion comes at 2:35:

[yt]839HhppAomo[/yt]

QuoteBut there's not really much I can do, other than elect someone else who's probably going to raise my taxes or do nothing anyway. It's the same party here in the United States, no matter who you pick, no matter what they say, it's the same party. I don't care what anybody tells you.

[yt]Ncn65JdfQWQ[/yt]

"Hey, when Saddam held an election with his name as the only choice my government told me it was proof he was a tyrant and I should be proud to be forced to pay to depose him. But when as many as two thirds of the offices up for election in my home state have only a single name my my government told me that was proof of voter satisfaction. I am lucky to have such a smart demopublican administration that can tell the difference for me. Otherwise I might get mixed up about which was tyranny and which was too good to be opposed." --Tom Bailey

[yt]PMfa-pNbRcg[/yt]

To cancel out the bogons of Rick Perry's original ad.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: MrBogosity on December 12, 2011, 02:50:41 PM
"Hey, when Saddam held an election with his name as the only choice my government told me it was proof he was a tyrant and I should be proud to be forced to pay to depose him. But when as many as two thirds of the offices up for election in my home state have only a single name my my government told me that was proof of voter satisfaction. I am lucky to have such a smart demopublican administration that can tell the difference for me. Otherwise I might get mixed up about which was tyranny and which was too good to be opposed." --Tom Bailey

In a properly operating system, the difference between the first scenario and the second would be that the first is ensured by anyone else who tried getting on the ballot being attacked by the forces of the State, while the second would happen only because most offices are being carried out sufficiently satisfactorily that few people want to bother trying for them themselves.  Unfortunately, in most places, there are steep access restrictions for most elected positions that make it very difficult to get on the ballot in the first place, making it harder to tell the difference than it should be.  Of course, the fact that you don't expect to have somebody come and murder you if you don't pass a ballot access restriction threshold in the US is kind of a give away.

In a press conference where the Jacksonville Jaguars announced their new owner, a question was asked why he moved a previous business out of Jacksonville

"In the 80s, Jacksonville was the biggest import car market in the world, then the US government imposed a 25% duty called a 'Chicken Tax' and the market died."

Quote from: evensgrey on December 14, 2011, 08:10:28 AM
Of course, the fact that you don't expect to have somebody come and murder you if you don't pass a ballot access restriction threshold in the US is kind of a give away.

As they say, hit them when they least expect it.

"I am not a pacifist. I just don't feel I have to kill someone to prove it." --R. Lee Wrights

[After someone jokingly asked for a position in his administration] "What agency do you think you can disassemble the quickest?" --R. Lee Wrights

I think these were a pretty good idea (based on my Atheism is a religion like... series):

Whaddya think?

[yt]IolHgMf_nbw[/yt]

One of Pat's better pieces.

[yt]WJIuYgIvKsc&feature=g-u&context=G2a8e5deFUAAAAAAAGAA[/yt]

@VectorM:  Damn it! You beat me to it! :P

Yeah, yet another reason to be against the bogosity known as IP (read: intellectual monopoly).  It's corporatism at it's best (or worst).
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

[spoiler]
Quote from: MrBogosity on December 22, 2011, 11:43:57 AM
I think these were a pretty good idea (based on my Atheism is a religion like... series):

Whaddya think?
[/spoiler]

we need more these.

@ VectorM and Surhotchaperchlorome: That video is perfection.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Lord T Hawkeye is on fire recently:

[yt]nMnnIfcYx2E[/yt]