Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"You know what's ALWAYS been faster than the speed of light? The speed of stupid." --Chris Pirillo

http://www.cracked.com/article_19431_5-mind-blowing-things-crowds-do-better-than-experts.html
Skip to number 2.  It and number 1 appear to be made of awesome.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: MrBogosity on September 23, 2011, 10:57:33 PM
"You know what's ALWAYS been faster than the speed of light? The speed of stupid." --Chris Pirillo

as evidenced by the speed at which the stocks have keeled over in the aftermath of Yesterday's Bernankian Abomination.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on September 24, 2011, 04:45:43 PM
as evidenced by the speed at which the stocks have keeled over in the aftermath of Yesterday's Bernankian Abomination.

All I've been able to get is that all the central bankers and ministers who have anything to do with money or industry are on the point of panicking because they've all but run out of room (read: cash) to keep fiddling with things in a large swath of the world.

OK, could be a bit painful in the short term when all the government plans go foom at once, but sounds like the best thing that could happen in the medium term.  (In the long term, they'll probably find a way to start fiddling again, but they always will, won't they?)

Actually, selling stocks probably is a good idea if things are about to go foom.  Catch them when they're down and ride them back up as things improve after the governments run out of cash.

September 26, 2011, 07:57:21 PM #1189 Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:03:23 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: evensgrey on September 26, 2011, 11:45:21 AM
All I've been able to get is that all the central bankers and ministers who have anything to do with money or industry are on the point of panicking because they've all but run out of room (read: cash) to keep fiddling with things in a large swath of the world.

OK, could be a bit painful in the short term when all the government plans go foom at once, but sounds like the best thing that could happen in the medium term.  (In the long term, they'll probably find a way to start fiddling again, but they always will, won't they?)

Actually, selling stocks probably is a good idea if things are about to go foom.  Catch them when they're down and ride them back up as things improve after the governments run out of cash.

I was referring to Bernanke and his people with the latest QE5 (IIRC it's name). their stupid traveled so quickly, that the stock people in the US panicked almost instantly on the passing of their decision..

I do agree though with your assessment of the medium term and short term. long term goes without saying these days.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on September 26, 2011, 07:57:21 PM

I was referring to Bernanke and his people with the latest QE5 (IIRC it's name). their stupid traveled so quickly, that the stock people in the US panicked almost instantly on the passing of their decision..

Ah, Quantitative Easing (read:  Let's dump a bunch more fiat currency into circulation and see if we DON'T get the same result as the last four times!).  Fortunately, they can't keep that up forever.  Eventually, nobody will be willing to buy the debt and the whole system will collapse.  It's starting to happen in Europe, which is what they've been panicking over of late.

[yt]C9B7-fzijMs[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

When ever I see something in a gaming magazine that has my interest and it mentions something I really like (or if it is by Relic or Volition) I use a quote from Fry of Futurama.

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY".

The National Archives (of our Federal government itself) has a Q&A on the Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_q_and_a.html

While much of it is interesting history, there are a few questions that everyone--especially Federal politicians--need to see:

QuoteQ. Why has our Constitution been classed as "rigid"?
A. The term "rigid" is used in opposition to "flexible" because the provisions are in a written document which cannot be legally changed with the same ease and in the same manner as ordinary laws. The British Constitution, which is unwritten, can, on the other hand, be changed overnight by act of Parliament.

QuoteQ. The United States government is frequently described as one of limited powers. Is this true?
A. Yes. The United States government possesses only such powers as are specifically granted to it by the Constitution.

QuoteQ. Where, in the Constitution, is there mention of education?
A. There is none; education is a matter reserved for the States.

QuoteQ. It is frequently asserted that the Supreme Court nullifies an act of Congress. Is this correct?
A. No. The Court has repeatedly declared that it claims no such power. All it does--all it can do--is to examine a law when a suit is brought before it. If the law in question is in accordance with the Constitution, in the opinion of the Supreme Court, the law stands. If the law goes beyond powers granted by the Constitution, then it is no law, and the Supreme Court merely states that fact (Art. III, sec. 2, cl. 1; Art. VI, cl. 2).

QuoteQ. Does not the Constitution give us our rights and liberties?
A. No, it does not, it only guarantees them. The people had all their rights and liberties before they made the Constitution. The Constitution was formed, among other purposes, to make the people's liberties secure-- secure not only as against foreign attack but against oppression by their own government. They set specific limits upon their national government and upon the States, and reserved to themselves all powers that they did not grant. The Ninth Amendment declares: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

Amazing how many people deny these tooth and nail.

Wow, thanks for posting the link to that. Posted that on Facebook.

[yt]JgPdyIY4Va4[/yt]

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on September 24, 2011, 03:24:34 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_19431_5-mind-blowing-things-crowds-do-better-than-experts.html
Skip to number 2.  It and number 1 appear to be made of awesome.

There are many, MANY things made of awesome on cracked.com.  Pretty much ANYTHING where they use statistics is Awesomeness aimed at bogosity.

Quote from: D on September 29, 2011, 05:43:18 PM
[yt]JgPdyIY4Va4[/yt]

I dunno, seems to me he might be conflating open borders with open immigration a bit.

"When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you--pull your beard, flick your face--to make you fight. Because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor." --John Lennon