Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, I could have sworn I was subscribed to him, but YouTube says I wasn't. I know human memory is flaky, but so is YouTube's system, so I never know whom to blame for stuff like that.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 19, 2011, 10:18:26 AM
He also made a video before that on the same topic with even MORE sarcasm. :D

I'm aware. I happen to think that this video is a bit more direct.

"All the horror I heard about during the Nürnberg trial, the 6 million Jews, dissidents or people of another race who died, shocked me deeply. But I hadn't made the connection with my own past yet. I reassured myself by thinking I wasn't personally guilty of it...But one day, I walked past a commemorative plaque for Sophie Scholl, here in the Franz-Joseph-Strasse. I saw that she was my age and that she was executed in the year I joined Hitler. And only then did I realise that youth is no excuse. And that it might have been possible to find out the truth...I feel as if I should be angry with that child, that naive young girl...for not recognising the nature of that monster...I could have said, in Berlin: 'No, I'm not doing it. I don't want to go to the Führer's headquarters.'" --Traudl Junge

I'm self quoting again but I really liked this one.

"The "free rider problem" is a classic case of projection.  It's taking a state problem and baselessly projecting it onto a stateless society.  It's no different than trying to defend slavery by saying "But who's going to provide the slaves with jobs if we let them go?"
        It's not an argument. Stop stealing from people to fund butchery under false pretences of national security and THEN we'll talk about a business model for defense agencies, NOT BEFORE!"
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

"I see faith as believing in something when there is no verifiable way to prove it one way or the other...The real question to me is, how does that belief shape what you do in the real world? If your faith causes you to be a better person, help others, and make the universe a nicer place, more power to you, whether you are believing in God or Thor. If it causes you to set fire to others, trample my rights, or prevent my daughter from learning science at school, we will have words." --my long-time real-life friend Chris Goodson

[yt]Vx8RrkpH340[/yt]

Man, when Cracked has their game on, they have it ON!

"A whole lot of the innovation you're using now -- including the basics of your operating system that were developed, not by Microsoft or Apple but by Xerox -- happened before the era of software patents. Otherwise, those innovations may never have happened at all. Who can afford to pay for every little facet of a system that happens to be similar to what someone else invented?" -- http://www.cracked.com/article_18808_7-reasons-computer-glitches-wont-go-away-ever_p2.html
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Yeah, it's amazing how little innovation there has been in computers since software patents compared to what there were before. To think that all of these latest interface designs and techniques are all based on things cooked up in the early 1970s!

[yt]k8qmV0SrrxU[/yt]

He has been on such a roll lately.

August 22, 2011, 11:54:10 AM #1104 Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:56:16 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 21, 2011, 06:00:31 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how little innovation there has been in computers since software patents compared to what there were before. To think that all of these latest interface designs and techniques are all based on things cooked up in the early 1970s!
Indeed.  It's a stark example of how IP laws both don't encourage innovation and stop it outright.  I also like how it's recent enough where fewer people will go on saying, "yes, but that was then, this is now!!11"

Quote from: D on August 22, 2011, 11:09:54 AM
[yt]k8qmV0SrrxU[/yt]

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post that. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: D on August 22, 2011, 11:09:54 AM
[yt]k8qmV0SrrxU[/yt]

I didn't understand a word of that...

From the same Cracked article: 

"Also, you may recall a certain antitrust scuffle Microsoft got into around the turn of the millennium. The results of that ruling have been a bit of a mixed bag: Microsoft can't include its free anti-virus software with Windows, because that would stop Norton and McAfee from making users pay $100 a year for their own anti-virus programs that declare critical system files to be viruses and stop the entire computer from running in response." --Stuart P. Bentley

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 22, 2011, 12:05:13 PMI didn't understand a word of that...
Here's a transcription made by yours truly:

In the world of the government
Where all they're selling is fear
Telling the truth is treason
Principled leaders are rare

But that's the runway
Those fuckers hate the poor
I voted Obama for peace
Now I cheer for his murderous war

We're the YouTube statheists
And religion makes us frown
Religion is responsible
when the kicks us down

We're the YouTube statheists
our love of reason is a lie
We're a hated minority
and we still wonder why

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 22, 2011, 12:07:01 PM
From the same Cracked article: 

"Also, you may recall a certain antitrust scuffle Microsoft got into around the turn of the millennium. The results of that ruling have been a bit of a mixed bag: Microsoft can't include its free anti-virus software with Windows, because that would stop Norton and McAfee from making users pay $100 a year for their own anti-virus programs that declare critical system files to be viruses and stop the entire computer from running in response." --Stuart P. Bentley

Personally, as a video editor, I'm sick and tired of them proclaiming video and audio codecs to be malware!

Now THIS one is full of win:

[yt]EPqUrcH7Ad8[/yt]