Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MrBogosity on September 19, 2009, 12:20:16 PM"Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather...We will create a civilization of the Mind in Cyberspace. May it be more humane and fair than the world your governments have made before." --John Perry Barlow, A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace

The rest of it:  https://projects.eff.org/~barlow/Declaration-Final.html
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

http://mises.org/daily/5269
Very good article. :)
It also points out the inflation being higher thing.

Also in it is a fail quote (that Doug French didn't refute) I will add to the other thread.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels." - H.L. Mencken

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 08, 2011, 05:37:52 PM"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending  scoundrels." - H.L. Mencken

Not as big of scoundrels being defended as those defending the state.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." --Benjamin Franklin

"Democracy, alas, is also a form of theology, and shows all the immemorial stigmata. Confronted by uncomfortable facts, it invariably tries to dispose of them by appeals to the highest sentiments of the human heart. An anti-democrat is not merely mistaken; he is also wicked, and the more plausible he is the more wicked he becomes." --H.L Mencken

And speaking of democracy:  [yt]YD72St51C8w[/yt]

Ludwig von Mises: "Nobody is in a position to decree what should make a fellow man happier." --Human Action

May 09, 2011, 11:53:05 PM #923 Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:21:33 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
"The individuals making up the state would have much to lose (in the short run, at least) from people losing their faith in government.  Just like the individuals making up the church have much to lose (at least in the short run) as people lose faith in gods." --Me during an AIM conversation with Lord T Hawkeye

I have my moments.

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 04, 2011, 12:15:59 PMLots of great quotes from Princess Bride!

"You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles." --Miracle Max

And let's not forget this gem:  "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya

"The only thing that Evil needs to conquer, is for good men to do the wrong thing." --Michael Cloud

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 11, 2011, 05:51:37 PM"The only thing that Evil needs to conquer, is for good men to do the wrong thing." --Michael Cloud

Like support a monopolistic authoritarian government.

An awesome from Virgil0211:  "You have studied history, not economics. The mechanism by which markets work and how people respond to incentives is completely lost upon you, likely due to your inherent need to see anyone who makes more money than you as being inherently evil and less deserving than yourself."  from the comments of Shane's "Are you a libertarian?" video.

Having talked with someone who can't keep his words on topic for more than five seconds and who was a history major, I can definitely relate.

"Be wary of quotes on the internet; it is difficult to tell which ones are genuine." --Plato

(Also seen attributed to Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Edmund Burke, and Voltaire.)

Quote from: MrBogosity on May 11, 2011, 07:12:25 PM
"Be wary of quotes on the internet; it is difficult to tell which ones are genuine." --Plato

(Also seen attributed to Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Edmund Burke, and Voltaire.)

A quote on the internet, telling us to be weary of quotes on the internet, and attributed to people who died before the internet.  That is just awesome. XD

May 11, 2011, 10:17:51 PM #929 Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:10:27 AM by Virgil0211
Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on May 11, 2011, 06:24:59 PM
Like support a monopolistic authoritarian government.

An awesome from Virgil0211:  "You have studied history, not economics. The mechanism by which markets work and how people respond to incentives is completely lost upon you, likely due to your inherent need to see anyone who makes more money than you as being inherently evil and less deserving than yourself."  from the comments of Shane's "Are you a libertarian?" video.

Having talked with someone who can't keep his words on topic for more than five seconds and who was a history major, I can definitely relate.

D'awww. And here I was, hoping that some of my more scathing commentary would get chosen.

I just realized, I think I'm starting to sound like that food critic from Frasier.

And here's a quote from Star Trek Deep Space 9.

JAKE: Come on, Nog.
NOG: No.
JAKE: Why not?
NOG: It's my money, Jake. If you want to bid at the auction, use your own money.
JAKE: I'm human, I don't have any money.
NOG: It's not my fault that your species decided to abandon currency-based economics in favour of some philosophy of self-enhancement.
JAKE: Hey, watch it. There's nothing wrong with our philosophy. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.
NOG: What does that mean exactly?
JAKE: It means. It means we don't need money.
NOG: Well if you don't need money, then you certainly don't need mine.