Author Topic: Fav quotes  (Read 1117551 times)

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
  • Bogometer: -1
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
Re: Fav quotes
« Reply #825 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »
I recall Rothbard talking of patents and copyrights in a free market (not a fav quote, just context for the true fav quote):
"Rothbard justified patents of a sort on similar grounds. If Smith sells Jones a new kind of vacuum cleaner and marks it "patented" (or, as Rothbard would have it, "copyright"), that tells Jones that he is only receiving the right to the physical object, not the right to make copies of it. The patent/copyright creates a contractual limitation, just as in the copyright context." --Source

I will personally adore Dale Everett's response to that idea:

"'(which you don’t have if the license for the album you bought explicity binds you to not doing so)' -James
'Ignorance of the law contract is no excuse!'

I’d get a signature on that contract if you want that to hold up in the eyes of any reasonable third party arbiter, but even if you do, good luck figuring out which contracted purchaser released the first copy to a bunch of people online who signed no contract so you can try to enforce that contract. You apparently believe in mystical contracts that are attached to bits of electricity and bind themselves automatically to people who come into contact with them absent any explicit agreement.

'And it is so unused you don’t even notice/no harm comes to you.' -James
If that’s really the case, though it seems like quite a reach, a lot of reasonable people would say that constitutes abandonment. Generally speaking, theft equates directly to harm. If you labored to obtain property, then theft of that property is retroactive enslavement. If someone has absolutely no concern whatsoever for a piece of their property, then they’ve effectively abandoned it. It’s like someone picking items out of your garbage on the side of the road.

Nothing you’ve said has provided any logical reason to support this special notion of property (i.e. IP) that makes copying it theft when it’s not theft to copy any other kind of property." --Source
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:30:50 PM by surhotchaperchlorome »
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -42
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: March 17, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »
It's not that big a thing; this is how trade secret laws work. The person who revealed the trade secret can be prosecuted, but no one who got the info from that person can.

Of course, the "contracts" that come with online music aren't even as clear or as binding as a EULA.

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #827 on: March 17, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »
It's not that big a thing; this is how trade secret laws work. The person who revealed the trade secret can be prosecuted, but no one who got the info from that person can.

Of course, the "contracts" that come with online music aren't even as clear or as binding as a EULA.
And EULAs aren't exactly the most parse-able things themselves.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #828 on: March 17, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
And on a much lighter note: 

"Just because I don't have a life, doesn't mean I don't deserve to live"--

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: March 17, 2011, 09:05:43 PM »

Very good video. :)

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #830 on: March 18, 2011, 02:16:37 AM »
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence." --George Washington
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:43:25 AM by surhotchaperchlorome »

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #831 on: March 19, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »
For those wondering where me and especially Lord T Hawkeye are coming from with religion, especially the Judeo-Christian-Islamic religions, wonder no more!

Bonus video (also a win quote): 

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #832 on: March 20, 2011, 02:03:23 AM »

0:55 - True dat.  As Shane always says, "ALL CREATIONISTS ARE LIARS!" (also a fav quote).

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #833 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »
"Your emotions can also be signals that it's time to re-examine your existing values. Perhaps they're alerting you that you've inadvertently moved away from your own best interests." --Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2011, 11:38:25 PM »
"No one has ever talked himself (or anyone else) out of an undesired emotion by hurling insults or by delivering a moral lecture." —Nathaniel Branden

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #835 on: March 21, 2011, 03:57:23 AM »
"Freedom comes only from seeing the ignorance of your critics and discovering the emptiness of their virtue." —DAVID SEABURY

"Volumes might be written upon the impiety of the pious." —HERBERT SPENCER

Travis Retriever

• Sarcasitron collider
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
    • Email
« Reply #836 on: March 21, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »
"When you decide to take matters into your own hands, someone may ask you, 'Who do you think you are? Who are you to decide for yourself in the face of society and centuries of moral teachings?'  The answer is simple: You are you, the person who will live with the consequences of what you do. No one else can be responsible, because no one else will experience the consequences of your actions as you will.  If you're wrong, you will suffer for it. If you're right, you will find happiness. You have to be the one to decide.  'Who are you to know?' It's your future at stake. You have to know." —Harry Browne How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -42
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: March 23, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
"Whether you like President Obama or not is not the question. The question is: if you like the Constitution more." - Dennis Kucinich

Lord T Hawkeye

• Podcast Co-Hosts
  • Bogometer: -47
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lord+T+Hawkeye
    • View Profile
    • Play Time
    • Email
« Reply #838 on: March 23, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »
Any time Dennis Kucinich is the voice of reason, you know you're REALLY screwed - Nick Galespi

Couldn't resist.  ^^
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

VectorM

• Bogon shield
  • Bogometer: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »