Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

[yt]z0g3rz75HPU[/yt]

Quote from: D on February 09, 2015, 05:53:37 PM
[yt]z0g3rz75HPU[/yt]

I do think that video was far more informative than Angry Joe's.  Yes, I knew he didn't hit the nail on the head like he should've.  But I posted it here because the authoritarian feminists were accusing GGers of misogyny.  Angry Joe himself reported on the gaming journalism's shady practices back in 2012 in his yearly Gaming Controversies video.
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

Failing to clean up my own mistakes since the early 80s.

This episode of King of The Hill perfectly captures how Social Justice Warriors are.

[yt]fLRPRyEJNEM[/yt]

[yt]uNSPqlzCGFU[/yt]

I absolutely did not put it in the rihgt thread. thank sofr pointing that o ut. hehe now off to correct this.

Its the second image thats win, the first is just there for reference

Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Back to more serious philosophy, from the Tao Te Ching:

The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity;
For this reason he has integrity.
The person of inferior integrity never loses sight of his integrity;
For this reason, he lacks integrity.

The person of superior integrity takes no action, nor has he a purpose for acting.
The person of superior humaneness takes action, but has no purpose for acting.
The person of superior righteousness takes action, and has purpose for acting.
The person of superior etiquette takes action, but others do not respond to him;
Whereupon he rolls up his sleeves and coerces them.

Therefore when the Way is lost, afterward comes integrity.
When integrity is lost, afterward comes humaneness.
When humaneness is lost, afterward comes righteousness.
When righteousness is lost, afterword comes etiquette.

Now,
Etiquette is the attenuation of trustworthiness, and the source of disorder.
Foreknowledge is but the blossomy ornament of the Way, and the source of ignorance.

For this reason,
The great man resides in substance, not in attenuation.
He resides in fruitful reality, not in blossomy ornament.
Therefore,
He rejects the one and adopts the other.

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 14, 2015, 04:34:19 PM
Back to more serious philosophy, from the Tao Te Ching:

The person of superior integrity does not insist upon his integrity;
For this reason he has integrity.
The person of inferior integrity never loses sight of his integrity;
For this reason, he lacks integrity.

The person of superior integrity takes no action, nor has he a purpose for acting.
The person of superior humaneness takes action, but has no purpose for acting.
The person of superior righteousness takes action, and has purpose for acting.
The person of superior etiquette takes action, but others do not respond to him;
Whereupon he rolls up his sleeves and coerces them.

Therefore when the Way is lost, afterward comes integrity.
When integrity is lost, afterward comes humaneness.
When humaneness is lost, afterward comes righteousness.
When righteousness is lost, afterword comes etiquette.

Now,
Etiquette is the attenuation of trustworthiness, and the source of disorder.
Foreknowledge is but the blossomy ornament of the Way, and the source of ignorance.

For this reason,
The great man resides in substance, not in attenuation.
He resides in fruitful reality, not in blossomy ornament.
Therefore,
He rejects the one and adopts the other.
So people who have something don't overcompensate.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Travis Retriever on February 14, 2015, 05:15:20 PM
So people who have something don't overcompensate.

And people of integrity have no need of coercion.

February 15, 2015, 01:05:38 PM #4662 Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:08:56 PM by Travis Retriever
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/diets-fail-eat-less-move-bad-advice/
*applause!*
Looking back, I was most successful with weight loss when I treated it like a lifestyle, in much the way he says here.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: Travis Retriever on February 15, 2015, 01:05:38 PM
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/diets-fail-eat-less-move-bad-advice/
*applause!*
Looking back, I was most successful with weight loss when I treated it like a lifestyle, in much the way he says here.

I guess that's one more reason why the meme laughing at people taking the escalators to a gym is bogus.

Quote from: MrBogosity on February 15, 2015, 02:46:40 PM
I guess that's one more reason why the meme laughing at people taking the escalators to a gym is bogus.
It's also why I want to scream whenever I hear someone say, "just watch what you eat/just stop taking the drug" etc.  Folks, the person you're talking to doesn't have infinite willpower/ego/etc.  It would be like a celebrity listening to you complain about $400 to repair your car and who replies with, "just buy another one!"  Just because *you" don't struggle with something doesn't mean everyone else doesn't struggle with it as well.  It makes me wonder, as someone with Asperger's Syndrome just how far off in terms of empathy we ASD folk really are from non-autistics...

And in that vein, another epic win from Menno, this time from his Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/BayesianBodybuilding/posts/807879405936563
"Q: "Have you got evidence that IIFYM has a poor record of weight loss success in the average person?"

A: I've gotten this question so often now it's starting to scare me. This is extremely important to grasp as a personal trainer: what works for you does not necessarily work for your clients. Look around you. There's an obesity epidemic. You think it's because people don't know they eat too much? The problem is first and foremost compliance. An optimized diet won't achieve jack if someone isn't following the diet in the first place.

If you actually need a reference for this, here's a nice one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10996578

Giving people their own instructions to to go on a diet is even less effective than having them follow the Weight Watchers program.

This is striking, because Weight Watchers is basically a simplified and assisted version of IIFYM (you count 'points' instead of calories, with the premise that's all that matters) and has an extremely poor compliance record already. In fact, it's no better than most other commercial gimmick diets for long term body composition change. See: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=718051

IIFYM isn't a magic solution for compliance in the general population. It only feels that way when your frame of reference is eating rice and chicken 6 times a day. Giving the average fat person a set of macros to follow is like telling a smoker to 'just quit smoking'."