Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Travis Retriever on July 28, 2014, 10:45:31 AM
Very interesting...As for the this:  "(don't listen to their bullshit when they tell you it's paid off in 10 years; it isn't. I'm going on 20 right now)." makes me glad I only have about $23,000 in debt...they say 10 years and have a payment schedule and plan and everything mapped out online on their website.  My mom seems convinced of it.  I tried to warn her about getting a loan for this...god help us both...she calls me naive and silly/stupid for wanting to just knock all of that debt (if not a mortgage too) all at once...but honestly? Until I get some good reason(s) otherwise, that's probably going to be my plan....I hate being in debt--emotionally, financially,etc.  I always have, even as a young child.  I've ALWAYS been the one who saved his allowance and rarely if ever spent it if he could get away with it.  It's a reason I revile and hate inflation. >.<*

Yeah. Another lie they tell you is that it'll be the lowest interest rate you have. My student loan is 7.75%, compared to my mortgage which is only 6%!

well, now that I have a job, I seem to be the exception to the rule: I make more than Dad (before taxes anyways: afterwards it is about the same), and promotion is not far away.

then again, I'm from the Arab world, and Dad works there, so it isn't that great an achievement.  :shrug:

also:

@ Travis: yeah, they're playing you for a sucker (which you clearly aren't): I have a lower interest rate on my Truck...and my card...and everything else really.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

I HAD to make it.

You're welcome in advance, Hawkeye :P

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 28, 2014, 09:51:57 AM
It actually wasn't, until the generation after the Baby Boomers. They're the last ones for whom it was true.

Me & you is the generation after the Baby Boomers, and I think it stopped being true before we graduated high school. I'm talking year of birth/graduation here, not about whether your parents are actually boomers. Kinda like in general conversation, "Gen X" applies to everyone born between 1965-about 1980 [ish]. In the original book, the term only applied to those born to depression era parents, who were having "later-in-life" babies, many of whom for the second time. I guess they wanted another chance after the baby boomers they made.

QuoteMy mother was a child of the Depression whose mother was a single mom who had her at age 16. She did not come from a rich family. She got her cosmetology license (MUCH easier in those days) and became a manicurist in a barber shop, saving up as much money as she could so my mother could have a future. It wasn't much, but fortunately, college was cheap in those days, and the combination of what her mom had saved up for her and how much she got working at starting wages was enough for my mom to get her math degree--WITHOUT having a student loan.

My father was likewise a child of the Depression from a poor family. He only attended 1 or 2 years of college before being drafted into the Army. He took the opportunity there to learn engineering and became a surveyor. He became the first member of his family to not be a farmer. (His brother, my uncle, continued to work the farm.)

My grandfather, who was a child of the depression, was a married man with five children on his eighteenth birthday. Some family members argue up and down that that isn't true, but his birth certificate says 1929, so he would have been 18 in 1947. My father's birth certificate says 1948, and he's the youngest of six siblings - therefore, it cannot not be true.

Anyways, he still ended up graduating from high school (unlike for our generation, and those that followed, and possibly the boomers...) , apparently that in itself was an accomplishment in the late '40's. He eventually earned his engineering degree... but it took him like 30 years to do it. He worked maintenance at the Detroit Y for about 40 years, and he never really had anything in the way of possessions, except a small house.

My father had lots of possessions, like most baby boomers, but, let's just say he was on a first name basis with the repo man.

This in addition to having several more years of a student loan to pay off from getting my 4-year degree (don't listen to their bullshit when they tell you it's paid off in 10 years; it isn't. I'm going on 20 right now).

The years of the Tech Bubble was the only time I was being paid comparable to what my father was making, after adjusting for inflation. I haven't come close since.

Even without considering the hideous state of the current economy, there is just no way I could be said to be as well off as my parents.
[/quote]

Well, IF you get the job that your studying for (good luck with that, btw), and your starting salary is the thing they showed you when you signed up for the program, it would take around ten years. To bad most people have to work in the field for about 15 years AFTER college to get that "starting career position".

And yes, there is no way I could be as well off as my parents thought they were. Maybe if they had some reality in the '60's instead of "free love" and "flower power", and then a mass competition to make up for the materialism they pretended didn't exist in the '80's, they would have been... "more realistically situated?" And you, me, and Travis wouldn't all be in the shit.

[yt]MPzmdKATYsk[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

[yt]kgZWcIRymWs[/yt]

Yay

[yt]_eeM92f0PBA[/yt]
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

[yt]tobN6iY4iIs[/yt]

[yt]VeKys6zog2M[/yt]

[yt]z1M2CnEg3GE[/yt]

[yt]VhUMG6KjBkQ[/yt]

Cutting back:  for the peasants, not for the cultural elite.

[yt]uPiU69WX30M[/yt]

"Morality is actually very simple.  It's only made complicated by all the people trying to sneak in exceptions for themselves."--Hawkeye's friend, Wraith