Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 08, 2013, 04:45:46 PM #2985 Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:32:52 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 08, 2013, 04:23:42 PM
Funny he should cozy up to steam in that.
A true story (incoming wall 'o text):

Since I was at dorm at university, I didn't really have the time to update steam on this computer (my desktop at home), so when I go to have it updated, it has about 96 MB (or more) worth of it.  No problem, I attempt to download it...and it says I was haven't network issues in that steam must be online...
Odd, my connection was good at the time...no worries, I try again, thinking it will resume.

I mean, hell, even Blizzard has enough brain-cells to know that not everyone has a 100 GB/s connection especially here in the states, right? I restart steam and it starts the updating from the beginning with the same end result of no luck*  "Well, this is lame." I thought to myself. "This means I can't play the two games--Terraria and Skyrim--that I legally purchased because you need to be online to play them."  No connection, no game.

Needless to say, I felt scammed.  I was considering pirating them--I couldn't play my own legally purchased games ffs!--when I had a whiz kid moment.  Before I had to leave the dorm for good (lease ran out not too long ago), I updated steam best I could on my laptop--my university has a smoking fast internet connection.  I've clocked it at between 50 to 100+ times faster than my home connection of 40 KB/s to 86 KB/s.  With that done, I then grab the steam files from the programs folder of my laptop and put/replace/merge them with the ones on my desktop.  I crossed my fingers as I did the transfer (using an external HDD, natch.  It was over 10 GB of files, much too big for a tiny 4 GB thumbdrive.)  After the transfer, I try and start steam and after being told to update it (like before), I cringe, but it actually finished this time and I could play my games!  Sheesh.

So yeah, "it's not yet perfect"--biggest understatement of the fucking decade, Sterling.  Had I not had access to my university's connection, I would no longer be able to play my own fucking games!

*As Shane said: "Not resumable?  Inexcusable in this day and age!  And they wonder why people resort to piracy."

And to update, despite being able to play the games as recently as last Saturday, when I try to play them from Steam now, I get a window saying "Steam:  Scanning for Steam games updates" that doesn't use any bandwidth (read: is just spinning its wheels) rendering me stuck *yet again* and unable to play my own fucking games.   Fuck you, Valve.

Update: it finished and I can play my games once more.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

From Sam Harris's MMA instructor and someone I've trained with numerous times, Matt Thornton.

"I came to three conclusions about PZ sometime ago. The first and last are in my opinion, self evident. The second is conjecture.

1) He's a dick.

2) Based on things he's said and written I think he may be mentally ill.

3) His thinking in the last few years seems to run about as deep as that of the Christian apologists, he doesn't just have weak arguments, he really has none."

Quote from: Goaticus on August 09, 2013, 09:40:01 AM
From Sam Harris's MMA instructor and someone I've trained with numerous times, Matt Thornton.

"I came to three conclusions about PZ sometime ago. The first and last are in my opinion, self evident. The second is conjecture.

1) He's a dick.

3) His thinking in the last few years seems to run about as deep as that of the Christian apologists, he doesn't just have weak arguments, he really has none."

Whether he's mentally ill or not, there is no possibility of having any sort of rational discussion with him. Anyone who includes disagreeing with him as something that marks you as irrational is simply not capable of having rational discussions.

Quote from: Goaticus on August 09, 2013, 09:40:01 AM

1) He's a dick.

Sam Harris's MMA instructor. Well that's certainly... someone.

No Sovereign but God. No King but Jesus. No Princess but Celestia.

[yt]YGOe8ge4cLk[/yt]
The title says it all.  Our protectors ladies and gentleman.  Our protectors.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 09, 2013, 05:22:14 PM
[yt]YGOe8ge4cLk[/yt]
The title says it all.  Our protectors ladies and gentleman.  Our protectors.

Is he still a statist or has he recovered?
Avatar image by Darkworkrabbit on deviantart

Quote from: Gumba Masta on August 09, 2013, 12:36:31 PM
Sam Harris's MMA instructor. Well that's certainly... someone.

In the MMA community, before meeting Sam Harris, he was known for bringing skepticism to martial arts. Of course most people have no idea who he is.

Quote from: AnCapBrony on August 09, 2013, 05:25:13 PM
Is he still a statist or has he recovered?
He's still statist as far as I know.  Sadly.

[yt]SwFDDVjECkQ[/yt]

[yt]IYXJ5N4StPc[/yt]
Damn, This bloke's on a roll.

August 13, 2013, 10:41:44 PM #2998 Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:35:32 AM by surhotchaperchlorome
Inspired by this post:  https://www.bogosity.tv/forum/index.php?topic=315.msg19220#msg19220
here's the ep of Dilbert I was talking about:

[yt]T5o92PnWuO4[/yt]

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 13, 2013, 10:41:44 PM
Inspired by this thread:  https://www.bogosity.tv/forum/index.php?topic=315.msg19220#msg19220
here's the ep of Dilbert I was talking about:

[yt]T5o92PnWuO4[/yt]

That video wouldn't play for me, but this one did: http://www.crackle.com/c/dilbert/ethics/2415616