Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 04, 2013, 07:38:54 PM #2955 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:56:55 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
From the latest photoplasty ( http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_635_if-corporate-mascots-were-more-accurate_p2/ )
Number 2:

I haven't tried Ubuntu yet, but if that's true, I'm kinda disappointed.  Last I checked, having a GUI is pretty much mandatory in this day and age.
So Shane, just how much truth is behind that?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 04, 2013, 07:38:54 PM
From the latest photoplasty ( http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_635_if-corporate-mascots-were-more-accurate_p2/ )
Number 2:

I haven't tried Ubuntu yet, but if that's true, I'm kinda disappointed.  Last I checked, having a GUI is pretty much mandatory in this day and age.
So Shane, just how much truth is behind that?

I have no clue what they're trying to say. Yes, GUIs come by default with desktop Linux distros, and if anything the newer ones are more user friendly than Windows (CERTAINLY Windows 8!).

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 04, 2013, 08:07:03 PM
I have no clue what they're trying to say. Yes, GUIs come by default with desktop Linux distros, and if anything the newer ones are more user friendly than Windows (CERTAINLY Windows 8!).
They seem to be saying that it's very programming like.  As in you'd have to know how to work without a user interface about 30 years ago.  Thought it sounds like for the newer ones that's not the case.  And if what John Cheese has said about Windows 8 is any indicator (all the icons and stuff I'm familiar with--the red x for example) being either moved or gone...well...yeah.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 04, 2013, 08:10:07 PM
They seem to be saying that it's very programming like.  As in you'd have to know how to work without a user interface about 30 years ago.  Thought it sounds like for the newer ones that's not the case.  And if what John Cheese has said about Windows 8 is any indicator (all the icons and stuff I'm familiar with--the red x for example) being either moved or gone...well...yeah.

See how well Joe Pirillo did:

[yt]v4boTbv9_nU[/yt]

August 04, 2013, 09:10:58 PM #2959 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:28:13 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 04, 2013, 08:32:41 PM

[yt]v4boTbv9_nU[/yt]
NVM, just read the desc.  It's his dad.
Also...OMFG! That looks horrible! WTF was Microsoft thinking?

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 04, 2013, 08:32:41 PM

[yt]v4boTbv9_nU[/yt]

personally I'm waiting for a way for the guys at the linux distro series to create a version that can run windows programs directly: emulators and me are kind of like oil and water  :-[
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 04, 2013, 09:23:21 PM
personally I'm waiting for a way for the guys at the linux distro series to create a version that can run windows programs directly: emulators and me are kind of like oil and water  :-[
Seconded.  Though, even with emulators, it'd still be better if that video was any indicator. :(

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 04, 2013, 09:23:21 PM

That's what WINE is. It isn't an emulator. (That's what it stands for, actually: WINE Is Not an Emulator.) The only reason why it doesn't work any better than it does is Microsoft didn't follow their own standards when they made Windows, so they have to try and duplicate all the bugs, too.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 04, 2013, 11:46:47 PM
That's what WINE is. It isn't an emulator. (That's what it stands for, actually: WINE Is Not an Emulator.) The only reason why it doesn't work any better than it does is Microsoft didn't follow their own standards when they made Windows, so they have to try and duplicate all the bugs, too.
I'll really have to message/PM you more about this stuff myself. :P  I can't help but have internet in it given the bullshit Microsoft pulled with the PRISM program and even moreso given the failed partial-birth abortion that is Windows 8.  And Apple is too expensive (A one button mouse? Dude, I play World of Warcraft, that shit ain't gonna fly).

Speaking of Apple, if ever I seem...iffy about accepting the idea that a computer running Ubuntu (or other Linux stuff) can't get a virus (something you told me before), in my defense, it would be because I'd be inoculated by Apple fan-boys who make the claim of their fav products.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 05, 2013, 12:00:46 AMSpeaking of Apple, if ever I seem...iffy about accepting the idea that a computer running Ubuntu (or other Linux stuff) can't get a virus (something you told me before), in my defense, it would be because I'd be inoculated by Apple fan-boys who make the claim of their fav products.

It would have to be a very specific kind of virus, something that ran where it could replicate itself--Java, maybe, if that version just happens to have the wrong bug. But as long as you don't run as root (and no distro is going to set it up that way), there's no way a virus could take over your system and replicate, unless you were dumb enough to give it root access yourself.

It can be a carrier, though; if an infected Windows user sends you a file, the virus won't run, but you would send that virus on to other Windows users who get that file.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 04, 2013, 11:46:47 PM

I see.

yeah, I just looked up WINE: very tempting stuff.  All that is left is to firstly make sure it will work with certain specific programs (for work, school, and some personal things), and see to it it can run my ASUS as designed or close to it as possible.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 05, 2013, 01:29:07 AMyeah, I just looked up WINE: very tempting stuff.  All that is left is to firstly make sure it will work with certain specific programs (for work, school, and some personal things), and see to it it can run my ASUS as designed or close to it as possible.

Here's a place where people report what apps they've been able to get to work, or not: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 05, 2013, 12:37:13 AM
It would have to be a very specific kind of virus, something that ran where it could replicate itself--Java, maybe, if that version just happens to have the wrong bug. But as long as you don't run as root (and no distro is going to set it up that way), there's no way a virus could take over your system and replicate, unless you were dumb enough to give it root access yourself.

It's been DONE, but the onl Linux-based virus I've ever seen was really more of a worm, and needed things like permission from the user to actually install itself.

Quote from: evensgrey on August 05, 2013, 08:22:56 AM
It's been DONE, but the onl Linux-based virus I've ever seen was really more of a worm, and needed things like permission from the user to actually install itself.

Right, and modern distros would actually pop up a password prompt, and you'd have to actually do that to get it to run as root.

It's not impossible, but it's so difficult that none have actually been able to make it in the wild.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 05, 2013, 08:53:10 AM
Right, and modern distros would actually pop up a password prompt, and you'd have to actually do that to get it to run as root.

It's not impossible, but it's so difficult that none have actually been able to make it in the wild.
A lot harder than with Microsoft Windows, I take it.
So what about malware, spyware, etc?  Should I get an anti-virus just for those, use Malwarebytes/SpybotSearchanddestroy, or something else?