Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[yt]iQyIVTu-eF0[/yt]

(For those who don't know, Amendment One is a proposed amendment to the North Carolina Constitution which would ban gay marriage.)

I can never get enough of the Koney humor.

"Somebody should do something. Take command. Control our actions. Direct our thoughts. Dial our desires. The clan elder, the tribal leader, the chiefdom big man, the state king, the central planner, the apparatchik, the lord savior, the infallible pope, the chief rabbi, the dear leader. Someone somewhere somehow will save us by telling us what to do and how to live. The impulse is a deep one that harkens back to our Paleolithic ancestry. It's counterintuitive to think bottom up instead of top down. It is why so many people struggle to truly grasp the deep meaning of evolutionary theory, and it is why so many people fail to see that economic order is the product not of human design but of human action. "

Michael Shermer.

"Don't forget that Evolution is a lie to cover up the fact that Obama created dinosaurs and had them sent back in time to discourage time travel." —johnrainrules, in these comments: http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=arBLUCO8_gM

The wise ruler does not intervene.

The people see the wise ruler, but they see no action.
Lesser rulers do and say a great deal, and the people love them.
Bad rulers use fear and coercion so the people accept them.
The worst rulers are hated.

It is the people's process, not yours. Do not intrude. Do not control. Do not force.
If you do not have faith in the people, they will not have faith in you.

When the great rulers lead, and their accomplishments are finished,
The people will say, "We did it ourselves!"

--Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, Chapter 17

"When you think about all the people who have used marijuana—from political leaders to sports stars to corporate executives to people from every walk of life—one way to win this battle is for people to just be honest. If everyone who used marijuana stood up and said, "I use this; it's pretty good," the argument would be over."

Peter Lewis CEO of Progressive Auto Insurance.

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 16, 2012, 02:04:30 PM

It is the people's process, not yours. Do not intrude. Do not control. Do not force.

Lao Tzu is definitely one of my favorite philosophers. I have a friend who is from China that thinks using the philosophy of Lao Tzu his country may be able to embrace a more limited Government. It seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on March 16, 2012, 06:28:08 PM

If I had the skills, I would make one of those for anarchism.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 16, 2012, 02:04:30 PM

as much as I entertain myself by punning the fellow's name, I have to concede: his philosophy is awesome.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox