Fav quotes

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, September 19, 2009, 01:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Best refutation of foreign aid by Imran Khan, head of Pakistan's Movement for Justice talking about Pakistans Punjab province rejecting U.S. aid after drone strikes.

"We need reforms but this aid stops any real reform. If any money goes to the Pakistan government, it will not reach the people who need it."

http://www.skepticallibertarian.com/2012/02/pakistani-province-rejects-american-aid.html

Responding to Mitt Romney converting his outspokenly atheist father in law to Mormonism after he died. This site lets you convert any dead Mormon to homosexuality. http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

"I'd call these bills insane except that, like many bills that seem insane when you judge them by their ostensible purposes, this one begins to make a great deal of sense when you understand what it's really intended to do. For example, you might wonder why the Bush administration scooped up thousands of terror suspects and tortured them in Guantanamo and black sites, or why Obama administration has been so public about its torture of accused Wikileaks whistleblower Bradley Manning. Both cases, at first blush, seem to be public relations disasters for the politicians in question, and it's only when you understand what these politicians are in fact trying to accomplish—a demonstration that the US government can pluck you out of any recognizable legal framework, prevent you even from access to a lawyer and from visits from the Red Cross, hold you indefinitely and abuse and torture you mercilessly—that you can begin to understand that these policies are not insane, but are instead carefully designed to strike fear into the hearts of anyone who might oppose US policy or undermine its obsessive secrecy. "

Barry Eisler on SOPA and PIPA

Quote from: Goaticus on February 25, 2012, 12:18:21 AM
"I'd call these bills insane except that, like many bills that seem insane when you judge them by their ostensible purposes, this one begins to make a great deal of sense when you understand what it's really intended to do. For example, you might wonder why the Bush administration scooped up thousands of terror suspects and tortured them in Guantanamo and black sites, or why Obama administration has been so public about its torture of accused Wikileaks whistleblower Bradley Manning. Both cases, at first blush, seem to be public relations disasters for the politicians in question, and it's only when you understand what these politicians are in fact trying to accomplish—a demonstration that the US government can pluck you out of any recognizable legal framework, prevent you even from access to a lawyer and from visits from the Red Cross, hold you indefinitely and abuse and torture you mercilessly—that you can begin to understand that these policies are not insane, but are instead carefully designed to strike fear into the hearts of anyone who might oppose US policy or undermine its obsessive secrecy. "

Barry Eisler on SOPA and PIPA
Really, this quote explains far better than I could why I think Shane's naivety in this thread  https://www.bogosity.tv/forum/index.php?topic=1335 is completely unfounded.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Goaticus on February 22, 2012, 05:03:43 PM
Responding to Mitt Romney converting his outspokenly atheist father in law to Mormonism after he died. This site lets you convert any dead Mormon to homosexuality. http://alldeadmormonsarenowgay.com/

perfect! I've just converted Joseph Smith Sr., the founder of Mormonism.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on February 25, 2012, 08:07:02 PM
perfect! I've just converted Joseph Smith Sr., the founder of Mormonism.

I converted Mitt's father.

Quote from: Goaticus on February 25, 2012, 10:32:36 PM
I converted Mitt's father.

damn it! I was gonna do that today!  :P

meh...I've just convert the following instead:

Miles Archibald Romney (A great-great-grandfather)
Parley P. Pratt (another ancestor of his).
Lenore Romney (his mom).

I'd convert the siblings, but they're all alive.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

February 26, 2012, 05:12:47 PM #1402 Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:35:30 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
http://mises.org/daily/5862/University-Guildsmen-and-Anticapitalism
As a university student myself, this really hits home for me.  This author is one of the ONLY libertarians I've heard with the balls (no pun intended) to criticise college education at this fundamental a level.  Shane for example (with few--if any exceptions), refuses to touch it.

While it is true that Penn & Teller criticized it, they didn't go after the systemic issues.  At least not to a level of depth employed here.
And yes, Peter Schiff has spoken of the cost, but he really glossed over the reasons of "why".  He merely cited "gov't subsidized loans" and called it a day.  Nor has Shane, Schiff or Penn and Teller, as far as I'm aware, relate it to the anti-capitalist mentality of intellectuals produced by the college system--a guild (feudal equivalent of labor union) system dating back over 900 years from Europe.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on February 26, 2012, 05:12:47 PM
Shane for example (with few--if any exceptions), refuses to touch it.

I see two problems with doing so: one, college IS necessary for many professions (doctor, lawyer, etc.), and two, colleges range all over the place in terms of quality, philosophy, and systemic approach. I completely agree, though, that most people who go to college don't need it and aren't likely to get the value out of it for the time, effort, and money they put in.

February 26, 2012, 09:33:11 PM #1404 Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:57:12 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on February 26, 2012, 08:19:10 PM
I see two problems with doing so: one, college IS necessary for many professions (doctor, lawyer, etc.), and two, colleges range all over the place in terms of quality, philosophy, and systemic approach. I completely agree, though, that most people who go to college don't need it and aren't likely to get the value out of it for the time, effort, and money they put in.

Nor would it change the shear volume of state involvement.
And before you say so, YES I'm aware you graduated from a private college.  But still, they have the some problem of private schools, where you pay twice for the same service (remember, you pay taxes for public colleges whether you go or not).  And even if that weren't an issue, when the private schools are competing against state supported crap, I find it hard to believe that the overall quality wouldn't suffer as well.  Also, last I checked, private schools are subject to huge amounts of regulation and bs laws just like public schools, even if to a somewhat lesser extend.  And really, it also still wouldn't refute (or explain) the lack of talk of a free market in college education.

That's like saying, "well, some sicknesses REQUIRE a doctor" as an excuse to have state controlled healthcare and then pointing to various states with different policies on doctors, etc.  Kinda like what we have now:  and last I checked you aren't for the status quo for healthcare in this country, so why make an exception for college?  Especially when it TRAINS the same people you just spoke of in healthcare?

Also, it still wouldn't address the vast state imposed barriers to entry imposed by the state on colleges that the article discussed (you DID read it, right?).  Again, last I checked, you weren't for those in healthcare either, so why make an exception for this?

And what do you mean "college is necessary"?  Last I checked, you don't have a crystal ball for determining that sort of thing, and neither do I.  That is for the free market to decide, not bullshit fiat claims like that.  Do you mean a state supported guild system is "needed" for us to have doctors?   If not, word your post more clearly.  If so, how is that any different from a state cultist saying, "WITHOUT GOVERNMENT THE POOR WOULD ALL DIE FROM THE LACK OF WELFARE, GOV'T HEALTHCARE AND THE OLD WOULD DIE IN THE STREETS WITHOUT SOCIAL SECURITY?"  Really, unless I'm misinterpreting your post, you really are coming off as a full blown state cultist/creationist with your reply.

[yt]G5r8D750Wsk[/yt]

sent me in fits of laughter.

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on February 28, 2012, 03:38:19 PM
[yt]G5r8D750Wsk[/yt]

sent me in fits of laughter.
Oh, that's one's a classic.  It was on Mark's old channel before it got DMCA'ed into oblivion.

[yt]Mj6YbK65y24&feature=g-all&context=G21e6e4dFAAAAAAAABAA[/yt]

-Jesse Cox

Many people procrastinate because their goals lack balls quite frankly. Their goals are just uninspiring. They are intended to be realistic and therefore they don't motivate you to plow through or dodge the inevitable hurdles and emotional difficulty and ups and downs that take place.----Tim Ferriss