Considering patreon for my comic, any advice?

Started by Lord T Hawkeye, April 10, 2015, 08:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well, I've been able to fund my comic okay thus far but now the canadian-US exchange rate is REALLY crappy and making it more difficult.  If I could supplement that even just a little, it would help immensely and patreon may do the trick.  Anyone here who uses it and able to offer any advice?
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on April 10, 2015, 08:01:19 AM
Well, I've been able to fund my comic okay thus far but now the canadian-US exchange rate is REALLY crappy and making it more difficult.  If I could supplement that even just a little, it would help immensely and patreon may do the trick.  Anyone here who uses it and able to offer any advice?

I have a Patreon and the best advice I can give is to make sure you have readers loyal enough to want to fund it. Not sure what you can offer for rewards for a comic other than maybe getting it before everyone else.

Yeah, you'll get your loyal followers (in the readership sense, not the religious sense, before anyone jumps on me) right off the bat, but getting others in will take time. Offer them some special deals, and failing that, just ask them directly what you can do to make it worth the money.

Should have enough to at least offset the exchange issue which is the main goal for now.  I have a few neat ideas.

1. Donators can get a chance to be in the comic as innocent bystanders.

2. Donators can get a chance to name a character they'd like to see Dolly impersonate
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Question, it wants my foreign tax ID number since I'm not from the US.  Where can I find that?
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on April 10, 2015, 06:45:17 PM
Question, it wants my foreign tax ID number since I'm not from the US.  Where can I find that?

I THINK that would be your SIN.

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on April 10, 2015, 06:45:17 PM

If you're not in the U.S., you would have to apply for one through the US Consulate. If you were in the US, but weren't a citizen, you'd apply at the Social Security office. Documentation required of course.

Quote from: dallen68 on April 10, 2015, 11:10:15 PM
If you're not in the U.S., you would have to apply for one through the US Consulate. If you were in the US, but weren't a citizen, you'd apply at the Social Security office. Documentation required of course.

Do you know how to do that?  Bureaucracy is not really my forte (thank goodness).
The more you know...

April 11, 2015, 01:41:26 AM #8 Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:47:09 AM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on April 10, 2015, 11:39:32 PM
Do you know how to do that?  Bureaucracy is not really my forte (thank goodness).

There should be a website for the US consulate in Canada where you can apply, or at least get contact information.

Alternately, you could always go to the consulate building--though I suspect that is not practical, in light of the size of your country (I don't know where you live, or where the US consulate is, though the latter I imagine would be in Ottawa). if you go for the latter option, be sure to have the number of the consulate to call them: they'll often walk you through what you want.

have your ID and proof of citizenship on you.

This was what it was like for Mom when she worked for the Consulate in Kuwait prior to 9/11.

EDIT: OK, went ahead and looked it up. here are some places:

embassies in Canada: http://canada.usembassy.gov/index.html
on consulates proper: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians/us-consulates-in-canada.html

the cities listed are:

Ottawa
Toronto
Calgary
Vancouver
Halifax
Montreal
Quebec
Winnipeg
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on April 10, 2015, 11:39:32 PM

Ibrahim is correct. Also, since you're Canadian (I did not know that when I posted the former), your existing Canadian Social Security Number should suffice, you just have to register it at the nearest U.S. Consulate.

What's wrong with using Canadian dollars?
Working every day to expose the terrible price we pay for government.

Quote from: Dallas Wildman on April 11, 2015, 02:36:26 AM
What's wrong with using Canadian dollars?

Not a damn thing. His business deals with the U.S. apparently.

Well, I put in my SIN and it accepted it no problem.  Register at the consulate?  I don't have to go all the damn way to Vancouver do I?
The more you know...

Quote from: dallen68 on April 11, 2015, 02:23:56 AM
Ibrahim is correct. Also, since you're Canadian (I did not know that when I posted the former), your existing Canadian Social Security Number should suffice, you just have to register it at the nearest U.S. Consulate.

Ah, so we were both right, then.  We call it a Social Insurance Number (SIN), rather than a SSN.  (We don't have anything we call Social Security, although we have government programs that do all of the same things.)

April 11, 2015, 04:09:59 PM #14 Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:13:41 PM by dallen68
Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on April 11, 2015, 07:36:16 AM
Well, I put in my SIN and it accepted it no problem.  Register at the consulate?  I don't have to go all the damn way to Vancouver do I?

No. If it accepted it, it means that no one in the US has the same number, so if it ever comes up, it's that persons problem not yours. It's already registered.