Expelled, with lie-correcting subtitles!

Started by MrBogosity, October 27, 2008, 02:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Uh, I'll have to see whether I can find it in my records, but it was basically a link to a torrent containing Shane's subtitles.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 10:06:40 AM
Uh, I'll have to see whether I can find it in my records, but it was basically a link to a torrent containing Shane's subtitles.

It was probably the torrent site then. If I remember correctly (I don't have a torrent) you can find things that are copyrighted on them.

October 31, 2008, 10:11:07 AM #17 Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:15:05 AM by Tom S. Fox
Okay, but that is not the linker's fault, is it?
Anyway, I found it, I will send it to you.

Edit: I mean, according to that logic, it would be against da rules to link to YouTube, because it contains copyrighted material as well!
Also, I sent it to you. I'm not sure whether it worked, though.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 10:11:07 AM
Okay, but that is not the linker's fault, is it?
Anyway, I found it, I will send it to you.

Not his fault at all, but sadly the webhost and I am not sure who that is, may not see it that way.

October 31, 2008, 10:17:16 AM #19 Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:03:06 PM by Tom S. Fox
Okay, but as I said, why is it okay to link to YouTube, then?
It contains illegal material, too!

October 31, 2008, 11:29:15 AM #20 Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:35:38 AM by Octamed
Hi guys, I made the torrent seeing how Shane put "It's free to download and spread around" in the youtube vid, plus I link back to this site/thread in the description and the included readme.txt file, so I'm not pretending it's mine or anything. Mininova hosts lots of legit content and it's clear that the excellent subtitles are pretty useless unless people can find them. Torrent technology isn't the slightest bit illegal themselves. Just like you COULD download illegal content normally, but that doesn't make it to illegal to download. Torrents are just excellent tech for downloading and spreading files.
I felt it was my duty to mankind to spread them around after seeing some of the 'movie' ;)
But I can take the torrent down if Shane wants.
The other thing I could do is host it on 'www.legittorrents.info', which makes it a bit clearer :)

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 10:02:07 AM
Hey, Shane, how is this linking to illegal material if it links to something you created?

Because the movie itself is not an original creation. It's a violation of copyright. If you want to suggest to people how they might find it, fine, but directly linking is a no-no and could land me in serious legal hot water.

I don't think he linked to the movie itself.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 03:00:20 PM
I don't think he linked to the movie itself.

It appeared to me as if he linked to a torrent of the movie with the subtitle file. If I'm wrong, he can repost the link.

My dear Shane, the file is only 1.24 megabytes in size, how on Earth could a entire movie fit in there?

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 31, 2008, 08:18:45 PM
My dear Shane, the file is only 1.24 megabytes in size, how on Earth could a entire movie fit in there?

I didn't notice the file size. If you still have the link, repost it. Mea culpa.

EDIT: Never mind: I found the link in my cache:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/1963324

Octamed: you might want to change the title. It makes it seem as if the movie's included.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 31, 2008, 09:10:35 PMOctamed: you might want to change the title. It makes it seem as if the movie's included.

You're right, I changed the description. Plus I deleted it and reuploaded another one because it was broken anyway! :)

This is the new one which seems to work
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1969197

I'm working on an update to the subtitles, fixing a couple of errors and putting in some more information during the cell animation sequence, so if anyone knows of anything else that needs changing, now's the time!

November 03, 2008, 05:30:42 PM #29 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:36:31 PM by MrBogosity
We've been Pharyngula'ed!!!

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/11/actually_i_do_own_expelled.php

I guess this'll be a good test of the server, database, and forum capacity...

EDIT: I went ahead and uploaded the corrected version so the Pharungylites can get at least a little better version.