High Fructose Corn Syrup

Started by Atheos5150, October 26, 2008, 05:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 26, 2008, 05:44:26 PM Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:55:30 PM by Atheos5150
I'm not sure if this would be something you'd like to cover.  It's amazing the stuff I've seen lately on the TV saying HFCS is good for you since it's made from corn....that would be like saying Ricin is good for you since it comes from beans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q&feature=related
(lol @ the username)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zbm-Hcwl4&feature=related
This was something else I saw as well.  The one above she says "Fructose is fruit sugar, it's naturally in the food supply."  Complete double talk here.  The subject is High Fructose Corn Syrup...not Fructose and technically HFCS is Fructose-Glucose ratio. 

They also say in moderation and HFCS won't affect your health...but it is in nearly EVERYTHING you buy at the store.  Seriously...if you haven't looked at the ingredients on the boxes you'll find it everywhere.  My family cut HFCS out of our diet completely.  It was unbelievably hard to shop for anything when we started doing this.  It took 15 mins to find bread that wasn't made with it, or tauter sauce, low fat yogurt, yoguart, tomato paste, ketchup, breakfast cereals, fruit juices, mayonnaise (even low fat), cookies, cakes, ice cream, some luncheon meats, barbecue sauce, jellies and jams, candy, and a whole list of other products including health foods and sports drinks.  According to one study, the average American consumes nearly 70 pounds of HFCS per annum. 

And if it's one thing we Americans know how to do is 'moderation'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

Quoteaverage American consumes nearly 70 pounds of HFCS per annum.  That's a little more the 5 pounds a day.....
Whoah, years only last 2 weeks now? When did this happen?
Assuming there are still 365(.25) days in the year, it only equates to ~0.2 pounds a day. You are a factor of 25 out, let's see how many times your year was reduced to make this work...
25 times!
Jarrah White maths proves it again!! And I didn't even need to use Vegas!!

October 26, 2008, 06:54:47 PM #2 Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 07:26:20 PM by Atheos5150
Quote from: Theta Omega on October 26, 2008, 06:51:21 PM
Quoteaverage American consumes nearly 70 pounds of HFCS per annum.  That's a little more the 5 pounds a day.....
Whoah, years only last 2 weeks now? When did this happen?
Assuming there are still 365(.25) days in the year, it only equates to ~0.2 pounds a day. You are a factor of 25 out, let's see how many times your year was reduced to make this work...
25 times!
Jarrah White maths proves it again!! And I didn't even need to use Vegas!!

Yeah, my mistake.  I was in a rush to finish, and my daughter was nagging at me to get off the computer.  I mistakenly did 365/70 rather then the other way around.  4 year olds are very distracting...

I don't think this would be a good topic. It's too boring. I mean who gives a shit about corn syrup?

That's a good point.
But do you know what you should make an episode about?
This whole gene food hysteria!

Food hysterics and scares, and diet myths might make a good episode or two.

I'll tell you the whole bogosity behind HFCS: first of all, yes, it's crazy bad for you, like sucrose is. You get mega calories from it with no other nutritional contribution.

Why is it in everything? Because our government heavily subsidizes corn. Just grow corn, and you get lots of money from Uncle Sam. This makes HFCS a lot cheaper than it ordinarily would be, so manufacturers put it in almost everything to enhance the taste. This is one thing that's contributing to the obesity trend (I REFUSE to call it an "epidemic") among the poor, since they rely so much on cheaper food which tends to have a lot of this.

One more example of the Doctrine of Unintended Consequences. If only more people had read Hazlett...

I have doubts about how high fructose corn syrup would work as an episode of Bogosity. It would be like making an episode about the dangers of smoking. Most people know it is bad for them, but they do it anyway.

I'd be up for an episode on food paranoia... A lot of people have no idea what they're talking about and there's a bunch of misinformation.

I remember when I was gullible and easily prone to paranoia, etc. I saw an infomercial about Kevin Trudeau... and I was like, "OMG THE FDA IS TRYING TO KILL US ALL!"

Then I hopped on to Google and read up on the tons of fraud and criminal charges against the guy. I think that's when I found out about James Randi at that time...

But, thanks to that nutjob... a lot of people think the FDA are mass murdering heartless scumbags... and that we're all being poisoned.

(Although, we technically are being poisoned, but that's a different subject.)

An episode on "organic" foods might be a good one
Warning: Student. What I say may set off bogon detectors!

Quote from: Teredona on November 13, 2008, 09:56:23 AM
An episode on "organic" foods might be a good one

Technically, all food is organic.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 13, 2008, 10:32:16 AM
Technically, all food is organic.

Exactly, although GMO's might be a good topic

Maybe an episode on the ''super health trend'' in general, al the things that are done just to be ''healthy'' (im talking about extreem ''leaves only diets'', expensive ''healthy yoghurt drinks'', avoiding any enjoyment in eating).