Cooking Adventures

Started by Travis Retriever, August 24, 2014, 04:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 24, 2014, 04:42:40 PM Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:20:37 PM by Travis Retriever
More chicken! This time chicken thigh, instead of breast.  Now, obviously what I posted here would be met with a shrug if the hippies would just let us irradiate food.  But alas, good things are antithetical to the religion of statism--especially the sect of liberalism.

So I make some frozen chicken thighs.  They can be cooked frozen, so I cook them frozen in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes on 325 degrees (F).  The chicken looks decent, though when I took a bite of one of them, I noticed a lot of red fluid.  Not sure if blood or myoglobin. Oh well, eat that bastard anyways.  I inform my mom, she notes it said it can be prepared frozen, but it said, "allow 10-15 minutes additional cook time." Derp.  Still, that is in the range, as it said to cook it for 30-40 minutes on 325 degrees.  Oh well.  I doubt It'll "make me sick."  Anyways, I figured I didn't want to put the others back in the oven, so I just shrugged and put them in the microwave for 2.5 minutes and 2 minutes (larger piece and smaller respectively).  And said if I feel sick later I can take a spoonful of baking soda to calm my stomach and get me to throw it up.

So any of you have any cooking tips, recipes, and experiments you want to share?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

A tip the I got from my ex.

Instead of cooking something like tomato sauce (or stew, or any sort of liquid that would conventionally be done on the stovetop with a lot of stirring) on the stopetop, put it in the oven.  It won't need nearly as much stirring, because it won't burn or boil over.

I prefer cooking chicken thighs in a crock pot. Throw them in with whatever you feel like, BBQ sauce, salad dressing, soups, or something you prepare on your own. What I usually do is get everything together the night before, then turn it on when I go to work in the morning. When I'm home I already have dinner ready and waiting.

Yes, it's myoglobin. Chicken thighs are MUCH better than breasts for that reason. The problem with undercooking isn't the myoglobin, it's salmonella or other contaminants. And you're right, irradiating the chicken would eliminate this problem and make the chicken taste better to boot! Stupid neo-luddites...

Personally, I always thaw the thighs first. I either bread them and bake them in the oven, or pan-fry them and sauté them with something like curry or bourbon sauce and serve them with rice.

Another delicious thing to do with them is to pack them into a pan surrounded by stuffing, and cover them with cream of mushroom soup, then bake them.

Slow-cooking doesn't seem to work well for thighs in my experience, although it does work better for breasts for some strange reason.

I love the cooking (mis-)adventures.

One of them turned into a family favorite. I was just going through the kitchen thinking what I could make with what I had without going to the store. I got together:

Flour tortillas
Spaghetti sauce
Ground beef
Sliced cheese

I browned and drained the ground beef, and spread out the tortillas and spread them lightly with the spaghetti sauce. I put on a tiny bit of the ground beef and half a slice of cheese. Then I folded them left-right, then top-bottom, and placed them folded side down on a pan and baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Pizza pockets! Easy and delicious. Just like pizza, you can put in whatever you like--I REALLY like it with mushrooms--and any tomato-based sauce can be used (except it doesn't work all that great with ketchup). You can make a whole bunch at one time and have leftovers to heat up later.

All of my cooking concoctions are breakfast related, because that's mainly what I cook and it's my favorite meal of the day.

One of my favorite things to make is my breakfast tacos with the leftovers from the night before.

Just scramble some eggs with Mexican cheese, place the meat at the bottom of the shell, put the eggs and cheese on top, and you have a pretty tasty treat.

Here's a pic from the last time I made them. One with a soft shell and one with a hard shell.

Spoilers because the image is huge.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The same could be done to make Breakfast Nachos as well.

Another strange breakfast meal you can make is when you have leftover pizza, cut it up and put it in your scrambled eggs or in an omelet.

Quote from: D on August 25, 2014, 02:37:49 PM
One of my favorite things to make is my breakfast tacos with the leftovers from the night before.

Tacos are another good leftover thing. And rice makes a good filler. I have a rice cooker where I just put in the rice and water and leave it be.

QuoteJust scramble some eggs with Mexican cheese, place the meat at the bottom of the shell, put the eggs and cheese on top, and you have a pretty tasty treat.

Try it with eggs, rice, and sausage. Awesome!

August 25, 2014, 05:03:05 PM #7 Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:13:47 PM by Travis Retriever
@Shane & D:  You're both making me hungry. XD Very good ideas, all of them. :)  I'm making chicken the way I did last time, as, after I put it in the microwave, it came out REALLY freakin' good. X3

Okay, so these next two were were DEFINITELY flops, alas. D:
1) Easy Mac instant mac & cheese mixed with orange juice (/shudders and cringes)
2) Egg Shell noodles mixed with sardines in oil.  For some reason, mixing the oil with the noodles caused me to get REALLY freakin' nauseous when I ate it.  O.o I don't know why.  Though it *did* taste good, for whatever it was worth. :3

Some awesome, yet basic, ones:
1) Sardines in Olive Oil & salt, between two pieces of Ezekiel Bread (toast the bread first).  The bread is more or less flavorless and dry when toasted, but the salt and oil balances that out right quick. X3
2) Said sardines mixed with eggs I 'fried/cooked' in a microwave and mixed in with warmed up/cooked frozen broccoli.  It's good. :3
3) Scrambled eggs that, as you cook them, you put slices of Swiss cheese in and mix it in, instead of making into an omelette.  It's freakin' delish.
4) Said bread above toasted, and mix 2 tablespoons of almond butter (would do peanut butter...stupid peanut allergy. :( ) with 1 tablespoon of honey.  It is to *die* for.
5) Rice cooked mixed with pasta sauce.  Yeah, like Shane said, rice is a good filler. :)
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

well, you could try maqluba: delicious food.

to make it, you will need:

-Cauliflower
-stew beef (we call them "bird's head" beef). you can substitute with lamb or chicken.
-rice (preferably that basmati one)
-some salt and pepper (black pepper)
-animal fat--simna in Arabic (you can use regular cooking oil)
-lots of time and patiences

so here's what you do:

1-brown the meat (or alternately lightly fry it with the simn)
2-fry the cauliflower in the simna
3-get a big pot, and throw in it the beef, then the cauliflower (others say cauliflower then beef). point is, make sure they are layered.
4-dump a ton of rice in the pot on top the above two, then put water in there: make sure there is enough for beef, cauliflower, and rice. don't forget the salt and pepper
5-boil the whole mix in moderate heat.
6-take the resulting (stratified) pot, and invert it on a large serving dish. congratualtions, you now have maqlube! (maqlube means "flipped over" or "inverted").

you can eat this with yogurt, or salad (made of tomatoes, raw white or purple onions, cucumbers, and possibly that hard bread like thingy that comes in squares, with some lemon juice all over it.

variations:

-replace cauliflower with eggplants and potatoes.
-you can for any combo perhaps add "pine seeds".
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 25, 2014, 07:06:06 PM
well, you could try maqluba: delicious food.

As long as it in no way resembles hummus.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 25, 2014, 08:31:36 PM

This. Hummus is so disgusting, I'm sure it violates the NAP in some way.

>.>
<.<
Well, I like hummus. I think it has a nice flavor and goes good on toast.  Especially the spicy jalapeño kind. :3

@Ibrahim90--eat with yogurt, eh? You mean, like, mixing with yogurt as having that as a side?

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 25, 2014, 08:31:36 PM

no, it doesn't. why would it? they're not made of the same things, or looks the same or taste the same.

you and D's hatred of Chickpee spread is irrational :P

(srsly, who the fuck hates that? how is it disgusting? you sure you ate decent quality spread? most brands in the US are garbage)

@ Travis: you mix it with yogurt on your plate. you don't have it on the side--that would be weird.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 26, 2014, 01:05:53 AM
(srsly, who the fuck hates that? how is it disgusting? you sure you ate decent quality spread? most brands in the US are garbage)

Is that true of baklava, too? 'Cause the ones I've tasted weren't fit to line a hamster's cage...

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on August 26, 2014, 01:05:53 AM

People of good taste and moral fiber.