Eating disorders

Started by Travis Retriever, January 09, 2010, 11:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Are they a "disease" or not?

I say the idea that they're a disease is bullshit.
Might as well say that there is an obsity "epidemic" if we're going to say that.

For the idea of it being a disease (or something like that):  [yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVGAMPPqsho&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVGAMPPqsho&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Well the "media glamorizes skinniness" argument doesn't fly anymore because as the internet has clearly shown, not even close to all guys like skinniness.  Some even like quite the contrary.  Whatever your body type is, there's someone out there who digs it.

Just like alcohol addiction though, it is a choice and not a disease.  A disease is not something you cure with willpower.  No one's saying it's an easy thing to beat but if you shrug off personal resposibility in dealing with it, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Least that's my take.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on January 10, 2010, 02:00:09 AM
Well the "media glamorizes skinniness" argument doesn't fly anymore because as the internet has clearly shown, not even close to all guys like skinniness.  Some even like quite the contrary.  Whatever your body type is, there's someone out there who digs it.

Just like alcohol addiction though, it is a choice and not a disease.  A disease is not something you cure with willpower.  No one's saying it's an easy thing to beat but if you shrug off personal resposibility in dealing with it, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Least that's my take.

Well, there are factors that can make it more difficult for some than others, such as metabolism, predisposition to sensitivity to insulin, thyroid function, etc. Granted, the majority of these are treatable, and having these problems doesn't doom you to having weight issues. It's possible, so long as you buckle down and stay with it.

That being said, I'm currently battling obesity myself. =P

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on January 09, 2010, 11:55:21 PMMight as well say that there is an obsity "epidemic" if we're going to say that.

Except, they DO say that.

As someone's who's had to deal with a lot of demons that've surfaced at times as weight gain, alcoholism, and other issues, they're all symptoms of larger psychological issues. It's like saying a runny nose and fever is the "disease" and ignore the fact you have the flu.

"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Personally, I've found that in people who have eating disorders that I know of, and I know a few one of whom committed suicide not too long ago, the eating disorder is almost always a symptom of a larger problem, like schizophrenia or bipolar.  I've never run into a person that has bulimia or anorexia that was otherwise perfectly mentally healthy and stable.  I realize I'm basically making an argument from personal experience here, and if someone can provide a counter-example I'll stand corrected.  But it seems to me that eating disorders are an extension of a twisted self image brought on by mental illness.  By trying to treat it as a disease unto itself rather than a manifesting symptom of a deeper problem, I don't think we're solving the issue.

January 11, 2010, 06:54:00 PM #7 Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:57:25 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: AHPMB on January 11, 2010, 06:31:35 PM
Personally, I've found that in people who have eating disorders that I know of, and I know a few one of whom committed suicide not too long ago, the eating disorder is almost always a symptom of a larger problem, like schizophrenia or bipolar.  I've never run into a person that has bulimia or anorexia that was otherwise perfectly mentally healthy and stable.  I realize I'm basically making an argument from personal experience here, and if someone can provide a counter-example I'll stand corrected.  But it seems to me that eating disorders are an extension of a twisted self image brought on by mental illness.  By trying to treat it as a disease unto itself rather than a manifesting symptom of a deeper problem, I don't think we're solving the issue.
Right!
As Shane has pointed out about drug addiction:  the people who "can't" stop are the ones with an alternative diagnosis, like bi-polar or clinical depression.
When that is treated, the drug problem goes away with it.
I find it hypocritical of the video poster when I saw she what she had to say about personality disorders ("insanity")
I get the impression she hasn't read up on people with severe Schizophrenia.
With all due respect, I think the Psychologists and Psychiatrists know a bit more than she does on this. ;)

Quote from: Virgil0211 on January 10, 2010, 03:20:58 AM
Well, there are factors that can make it more difficult for some than others, such as metabolism, predisposition to sensitivity to insulin, thyroid function, etc. Granted, the majority of these are treatable, and having these problems doesn't doom you to having weight issues. It's possible, so long as you buckle down and stay with it.

That being said, I'm currently battling obesity myself. =P

Indeed, as I said, it may not be easy but you DO have the power.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...