Blood Moon Prophecy

Started by Skm1091, April 06, 2014, 11:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone heard of the 'Blood Moon' prophecy that supposed to come this passover?

There's a total lunar eclipse (often called a Blood Moon because of the red umbra) on the 14th-15th of this month. This is the first in a rare sequence of four  eclipses.

Complete idiots read Joel 2:31 ("The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come") and think this means the end of the world. The fact that the eclipse happens to correspond with the first day of passover just heightens the lunacy.

Passover ends April 22. There's a partial solar eclipse on the 29th. Close enough for superstitious morons.

October 11-15 is the Jewish feast of Tabernacles. This is in between the third eclipse (total lunar) on October 8th and a partial solar eclipse on October 23rd.

Of course, the REAL reason for all these eclipses is that the moon's orbit—~5° to the ecliptic—just happens to very nearly cross the line between the Earth and the sun, as illustrated here: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2014-Fig01.pdf

Something big is always happening in the Middle East, and most of the significant events involve Israel in some way, if only because any unpredictable changes are a hazard when you're a small country in the middle of a region where all the other countries hate you more than each other.

No kidding.

If we had a nickel for everytime a prophesy flopped we would be in 0.00000000000001 percent by now

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 06, 2014, 01:05:38 PM
No kidding.

If we had a nickel for everytime a prophesy flopped we would be in 0.00000000000001 percent by now
Hell, if we had a penny for every time one of the prophesy's believers backpeddled we'd be the richest that ever will walk the face of the earth.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: Travis Retriever on April 06, 2014, 01:22:00 PM
Hell, if we had a penny for every time one of the prophesy's believers backpeddled we'd be the richest that ever will walk the face of the earth.

Harold Camping Anyone. He said the end was in 1994 and then when that backfired he said it was in 2011

Quote from: Travis Retriever on April 06, 2014, 01:22:00 PM

Hey, how about this: if I had a satoshi for every time that happened, I'd BE Satoshi!

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 06, 2014, 01:37:33 PM
Hey, how about this: if I had a satoshi for every time that happened, I'd BE Satoshi!

BTW I just found out the ones who are pushing the blood moon thing. John Hagee and Mark Blitz.

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 06, 2014, 12:33:31 PM
There's a total lunar eclipse (often called a Blood Moon because of the red umbra) on the 14th-15th of this month. This is the first in a rare sequence of four  eclipses.

Complete idiots read Joel 2:31 ("The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come") and think this means the end of the world. The fact that the eclipse happens to correspond with the first day of passover just heightens the lunacy.

Passover ends April 22. There's a partial solar eclipse on the 29th. Close enough for superstitious morons.

October 11-15 is the Jewish feast of Tabernacles. This is in between the third eclipse (total lunar) on October 8th and a partial solar eclipse on October 23rd.

Of course, the REAL reason for all these eclipses is that the moon's orbit—~5° to the ecliptic—just happens to very nearly cross the line between the Earth and the sun, as illustrated here: http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2014-Fig01.pdf

wait, there's a total lunar eclipse on the 14th-15th? will it be over the US? I'm hoping to see one in Texas or New Mexico--the two places I keep traveling to.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 06, 2014, 04:35:11 PM
wait, there's a total lunar eclipse on the 14th-15th? will it be over the US? I'm hoping to see one in Texas or New Mexico--the two places I keep traveling to.

And supposedly it's suppose to trigger a prophecy of the end of the world. *rolls eyes* *groan*

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 06, 2014, 04:39:41 PM
And supposedly it's suppose to trigger a prophecy of the end of the world. *rolls eyes* *groan*

I don't care about the world supposedly ending--it's obviously not going to happen: I just want to know if the Eclipse will be over Texas and/or New Mexico then.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 06, 2014, 04:45:52 PM
I don't care about the world supposedly ending--it's obviously not going to happen: I just want to know if the Eclipse will be over Texas and/or New Mexico then.

This might help

http://www.vercalendario.info/en/moon/united_states-15-april-2014.html

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 06, 2014, 04:48:52 PM
This might help

http://www.vercalendario.info/en/moon/united_states-15-april-2014.html

Short version, this eclipse should be visible across North America, provided you have clear skies.  In my experience, spring skies are normally clear in Texas and New Mexico. (Yes, I've been in both states in the early spring.)

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 06, 2014, 04:35:11 PM

Info is in the PDF I linked to.

Oh, gods, I just hope Alex Jones isn't going off about it, given that it happens on/around Tax Day (April 15th).
Gods, if they really wanted to help the libertarian movement, they'd switch sides. >.<*
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537