MADD/Prohibition/DUI laws/21 to drink

Started by FSBlueApocalypse, July 13, 2009, 11:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've been involved with this for awhile, and I think this topic deserves it's own bogosity. This post isn't endorsing drinking and driving.

First off, to say MADD isn't a neo-prohibitionist organization is laughable. At one point, they tried to pass a law in my home state to have EVERY keg registered in a database and if your keg was found at a party with underage kids, you may be charged with a felony.

As for DUI laws themselves, it's ridiculous. At best, 60% of people can perform a field sobriety test WHEN SOBER. In addition, it's legally acceptable in my home state to have breathe tests that can be as much as .02 off. Just think about that then. A normal sized woman could have 2 beers at a bar and runs the risk of getting a DUI because of the machine.

And being 21 to drink, well, do I need to explain that?

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on July 13, 2009, 11:57:28 AMAs for DUI laws themselves, it's ridiculous. At best, 60% of people can perform a field sobriety test WHEN SOBER.

I'd love to see a source for this.

QuoteAnd being 21 to drink, well, do I need to explain that?

That's completely bogus, and I agree about MADD, too.

Quote from: MrBogosity on July 13, 2009, 12:22:29 PM

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/field-sobriety-evaluations-or-tests.htm

http://www.drunkdrivingdefense.com/general/report-on-nhtsa-standardized-field-tests-claims-made.htm

http://www.michbar.org/journal/article.cfm?articleID=882&volumeID=67

http://www.azduiatty.com/field-sobriety-tests-designed-for-failure.htm

http://www.themichigandrunkdrivinglawyer.com/the-controversy-over-roadside-field-sobriety-tests/
QuoteIn 1991, Clemson University conducted a study on the accuracy of FSTs. Police officers were shown videotapes of individuals performing six common FSTs and asked to determine whether they were too intoxicated to drive. The officers concluded that almost half of the people were too drunk to drive; however, unknown to the officers, none of them had consumed any alcohol.

"I can fight for my country, but I can't drink!" :)

Reminds me of a debate in my school.  There was a bunch of statistics rattled off showing that when the drinking age is lowered, the number of deaths from drunk driving tends to increase.  I wish I could have remembered the sources though so I could see what, if any, controls were used...
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

If memory serves, the drinking age in Germany is 16, yes?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

I'm pretty sure it is 18, as I said above.

Ooh, ok.
Tom, the correct word to use was "at" not "with".

Okay, I checked and it turns out that you can drink beer and wine at 16 and hard liquor at 18.
I don't drink either way, so it doesn't matter to me.

So my German teacher WAS right. :D

I don't drink either, so it doesn't matter to me either, I just thought it was a cool thing to know.

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on July 16, 2009, 05:06:52 PM
So my German teacher WAS right. :D

Did your German teacher also tell you that Kennedy flubbed his speech?

July 16, 2009, 07:59:35 PM #11 Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:05:23 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Yes.  She told us that Kennedy phrased it wrong.
Although you went into more detail and corrected us all on that.

PS:    :P

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on July 16, 2009, 07:59:35 PM
Yes.  She told us that Kennedy phrased it wrong.

Well, then she was not right in this respect. Strangely, many non-German German teachers make this mistake.

I love it when I go to the store and MADD is out front asking for money. It takes no effort to piss those people off.

Quote from: BZ987654 on July 20, 2009, 12:09:21 PM

I love it when I go to the store and MADD is out front asking for money. It takes no effort to piss those people off.
What do you do? Share! Share!