Star Wars is officially dead to me.

Started by tnu, January 15, 2014, 05:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: dallen68 on January 16, 2014, 11:22:35 PM
I'm not a particular fan of ret-cons (by which I'm assuming you mean "re-boots") myself, feeling they're totally not necessary. Typically, you can make any changes necessary in the existing universe. You can say something was discovered, something was lost, something was invented, there was a time bubble in which alternate lore happened...about as many things as you can think of. A favorite in the TES universe is "there's disagreement among scholars about...." (used when lore conflicts with lore/fanfic on the crusp of becoming lore).

For the your example above, I'd propose the following: The invention of the thermal clip, intended to prevent injury from overheating, also limited/eliminated (whichever it is) the weapons' regenerative ability.

you literally just came up with a reason for replacing the old system that makes more sense than the reason the ME writers came up with!

anyways, yeah, again, you're right, but unfortunately, writers don't always do that.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: dallen68 on January 16, 2014, 11:22:35 PM
I'm not a particular fan of ret-cons (by which I'm assuming you mean "re-boots") myself,

Retcons and reboots are different things. A reboot is when an old series is remade with a new cast etc. Kind of like a remake in movies. It also works with franchise movies; the JJ Abrams Star Treks are reboots.

Doctor Who is an interesting example, since in one way the series starting in 2005 was a reboot, but was also consistent with everything that had gone along before. It picked up where the old series left off, and even went on to talk about events we missed out on as episodes weren't aired.

Retcons (short for retroactive continuity) are when you try and reconcile contradictions in the established canon. Walter Koenig tells a funny story answering the question of how Chekov could recognize Khan in The Wrath of Khan when Space Seed took place before his character was introduced. Sometimes this is done in the show itself; the Klingons in Star Trek look different in later decades because they got better at doing the makeup. But when they made Trials and Tribble-ations, the other crewmembers commented on it, with Worf simply stating it's not something Klingons like to talk about. Enterprise finally retconned it as the result of a genetic plague.

Quote from: MrBogosity on January 17, 2014, 07:53:33 AM
. But when they made Trials and Tribble-ations, the other crewmembers commented on it, with Worf simply stating it's not something Klingons like to talk about. Enterprise finally retconned it as the result of a genetic plague.

I thought they had said that he Klingons Kirk had encountered on that asteroid were spies that were camouflaged.

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on January 16, 2014, 10:17:20 PM
they're chainsawing the thing at the stem :P

Well she is about to cut someone's legs off in that gif so I think it still counts.

Quote from: dallen68 on January 17, 2014, 10:13:37 AM
I thought they had said that he Klingons Kirk had encountered on that asteroid were spies that were camouflaged.

One Klingon was disguised as a human. The others were just Klingons.

Star Trek is a grey area. It's something of a "justified reboot" in that it EXPLAINS the divergence from the canon.

Quote from: tnu on January 17, 2014, 12:47:10 PM
Star Trek is a grey area. It's something of a "justified reboot" in that it EXPLAINS the divergence from the canon.

Yeah, a retcon! :P

LOL, I am not a fan, but it really seems like the expanded universe is like all the side characters in all the Sonic games. Besides, ins't the entire thing more or less just milking the franchize?

Quote from: VectorM on January 17, 2014, 02:22:19 PM
LOL, I am not a fan, but it really seems like the expanded universe is like all the side characters in all the Sonic games. Besides, ins't the entire thing more or less just milking the franchize?

Partially. What's being worried about here is content that was introduced in the Old Republic online role-playing game (mostly).

Which actually brings me to the second point I was going to say earlier: Occasionally the IP moves from one entity to another, in which case, normally, stuff introduced by the original Official Source is lore. Stuff introduced by the New Official Source is anti-lore. Well, sometimes. In the case of Star Wars, because of what Disney's trying to do here, I see this is how the fans will see it.

Another aspect is "history". In these types of RPGs, that allow multiple options, and mods and that kind of thing, "history" is what actually happened when you played the game, regarless of lore or mod or fanfic.

I don't care too mu ch about the Old Republic. itself. Imean yeah it is Canon but personally I never got in to it (apart from when Dromand Kaas was mentioned offhandedly in 501st) but really do tell meab out Sonic. if it has such a vast expanded universe and canon I may be bale to really get in to it (provided they don't reboot)  As for canon as it applies to games. there's usually a specific Canon path. Revan and Jaden Korr, Lightside Male. Meetra Surik (the Jedi Exile) Lightside Female. Just as an example. it's fun to have the canon and the gaps filled out.

One of my favorite Big Bang Theory lines: "I refuse to see Clone Wars: The Series until I've seen The Clone Wars movie. I prefer to have George Lucas disappoint me in the order in which he intended."

I actually did see the movie. both it and the series had its ups and downs but really seemed to get  better over time.