Good place to learn economics?

Started by nilecroc, August 20, 2013, 12:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm new here, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to relearn some economics? I took a couple of classes at my college, but both professors had a hard on for the bailouts and the fed. So I want to know if there are any books /websites besides mises.org and thomas sowell's Basic Economics?

First off, welcome to the forum!
Second off, good ones would be Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt and Healing Our World by Mary J. Ruwart.  Also, Shane has lots of good videos on the subject.  Check out his YouTube channel for them. youtube.com/user/shanedk
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 20, 2013, 12:44:57 AM
First off, welcome to the forum!
Second off, good ones would be Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt and Healing Our World by Mary J. Ruwart.  Also, Shane has lots of good videos on the subject.  Check out his YouTube channel for them. youtube.com/user/shanedk
Thanks. I've read like 3/4 of Hazlitt's book and I've watched a lot of Shane's videos. I saw Healing Our World on Amazon. Looks interesting, I might check it out. Any other suggestions.

Quote from: nilecroc on August 20, 2013, 12:50:11 AM
Thanks. I've read like 3/4 of Hazlitt's book and I've watched a lot of Shane's videos. I saw Healing Our World on Amazon. Looks interesting, I might check it out. Any other suggestions.
http://blamethe1st.deviantart.com/art/The-Libertarian-Reading-List-390524469
It's admittedly more about libertarianism in general, but you can look through it for the ones more concerned with economics.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Okay, this is a blatant plug, but if you're ready to move up from what you can get just from those books and YouTube you can go to LibertyClassroom.com. They have a lot of free videos to get you started, and if you use the promo code BOGOSITY (has to be all caps) when you sign up for the pay site it's just $88 for the first year! (And this website will get a little bit of love for the reference. ;) )

If you've been watching Shane's economics videos you almost certainly have heard of this essay, but also check out "I, Pencil" by Leonard Read.  (Google the title and you should get links to the text and a reading of the text as the first two hits.)  It encapsulates why free markets invariably work better than anything else when it comes to efficiently providing sufficient supplies of pretty much everything.  (I am prepared to accept that there may be things that free markets do not provide in the most efficient possible manner, but I have never been presented with any examples of such.)

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 20, 2013, 07:18:11 AM
Okay, this is a blatant plug, but if you're ready to move up from what you can get just from those books and YouTube you can go to LibertyClassroom.com. They have a lot of free videos to get you started, and if you use the promo code BOGOSITY (has to be all caps) when you sign up for the pay site it's just $88 for the first year! (And this website will get a little bit of love for the reference. ;) )
I would, but I don't have that kind of money right now.