Wannabe experts

Started by Tom S. Fox, May 22, 2009, 02:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 22, 2009, 02:58:23 PM Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:06:06 PM by Tom S. Fox
You know what pisses me off? People who have heard a falsehood they like and spread it with arrogant pseudo-authority. For example, there are lots of people who wrongly insist that Kennedy flubbed his speech and accidentally called himself a jelly-doughnut, even after being corrected by actual Germans. They are like little creationists. They speak with imaginary authority about things they know nothing and don't really want to learn anything about.

What can be done about them?

That is why I keep my mouth shut most of the time. Better to be quiet than make a fool out of myself and spread information that I do not fully understand. Hell, my own opinions are wrong half of the time anyway. Of course, this is the Internet...

May 22, 2009, 03:40:05 PM #2 Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:51:15 PM by Tom S. Fox
Here is a comment I find especially ironic:

Quote from: KingofTheMafiawow kennedy was a fag, he should of learned german before he called him self and f-ing donut
Yeah, he ,,should of". But German was not his native tongue. What is your excuse?

So, "Ich bin ein Berliner" is correct?

Yes, absolutely. Have you heard that myth, too?

I thought it was true.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

ahahah
I should keep my mouth shut too
I'm reading some of my older posts and I realized I was so wrong on so many things

but Whatever
Its the internet

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on May 22, 2009, 04:17:31 PM
Yes, absolutely. Have you heard that myth, too?
Yes, but I never knew if it was true or not.

May 22, 2009, 06:38:03 PM #9 Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:45:35 PM by Tom S. Fox
No, it is't. And even if it had been ungrammatical, people hardly would have thought of jelly doughnuts of all things in that moment. If I told you ,,I am a New Yorker", would you think I am describing myself as a magazine? Besides, the people in Berlin don't call their own doughnuts Berliner. Why would they?

Yeah, like the French doesn't call the French Foreign Legion the French Foreign Legion, just the Foreign Legion (well, in French). And we don't call football (the one that's not soccer) American football.

Exactly. I wish I would have come up with those examples.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on May 22, 2009, 08:32:02 PM
Exactly. I wish I would have come up with those examples.
Then I suggest you make something up. It's easy as 1, Um, 1, and, again, uh, 1.

Like:

Sagan IV Swedes don't call themselves Sagan IV Swedes, they just call themselves Swedes.

And just so you know, there is no Switzerland on Sagan IV. I just made that up as an example.