Anita Sarkeesian is at it AGAIN!

Started by Skm1091, May 29, 2013, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ebalosus on June 07, 2013, 09:50:35 AMFirst of, I'm not a fan of her work, as she falls into the typical feminist cliché of invoking things like "the patriarchy," "misogyny," and "objectification." She egregiously misuses those words in my opinion.

They're just zombie terms, words that people can brainlessly utter to shut down discussion. Like "mansplaining."

If a supposed 'expert' or 'commentator' uses a term like 'Patriarchy' as if it actually applied to anything in mainstream Western culture in the last 30 years, you know you've got yourself an outright fraud who isn't going to say anything worth hearing.

June 07, 2013, 12:46:16 PM #17 Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:11:39 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: ebalosus on June 07, 2013, 09:50:35 AM
As for her genuine supporters, I wonder what will happen if and when she decides to abruptly stop doing tropes vs. women...actually, I already know, you already know: They'll finger us criticisers saying that this is "all your fault," even when our criticisms (for the most part) are quite valid.

Even though that shouldn't be an excuse.  1.  As TAA already explained, if you voice an opinion on the internet, you will get flak for it.  Period, end of discussion.  Put on your (talking about Anita, not you) big girl pants and grow a thicker skin.  2.  Even then, I'd like to know how said criticism matters.  I mean, last I checked, she pulled a classic creationist move and disabled ratings, comments, statistics and (most likely) video responses as well.  So what?  Just knowing that criticism will exist makes her sad in the pants?  Lady, I believe that anarchyinyourhead bloke, Dale Everett said it best:  If you can't stand the anarchy, get off the fucking internet.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

...She's STILL going on about this one trope?
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 03, 2013, 11:32:33 PM
...She's STILL going on about this one trope?

What makes you think she has any others?

Even if she has others, why should she change any time soon?  She's gotten gobs of cash and loads of media praise for what is now three poorly made, ineptly researched videos.  She probably thinks somebody will offer her a tenured professorship before the end.

Quote from: evensgrey on August 04, 2013, 04:01:56 AM
She probably thinks somebody will offer her a tenured professorship before the end.
The sad thing is that she's probably right...

Quote from: evensgrey on August 04, 2013, 04:01:56 AMWhat makes you think she has any others?
I never said she had.

Quote from: Skm1091 on August 03, 2013, 11:21:15 PM
Part 3 is up

[yt]LjImnqH_KwM[/yt]

Those kickstarters SERIOUSLY need to demand a refund. She can't even properly normalize her audio!

Okay, now I'm really not feeling sympathetic towards her or her defenders. Did she actually need people to fund these snorefests? Just a few seconds of listening to her almost puts me to sleep.

Quote from: MrBogosity on August 04, 2013, 09:16:52 AM
Those kickstarters SERIOUSLY need to demand a refund. She can't even properly normalize her audio!

Wait a minute..isn't that available as an automated feature in just about all the packages you might want to use to make YouTube videos?  All you have to do is TURN IT ON?

Quote from: evensgrey on August 04, 2013, 12:00:22 PM
Wait a minute..isn't that available as an automated feature in just about all the packages you might want to use to make YouTube videos?  All you have to do is TURN IT ON?

It's not 100%, you have to make some adjustments yourself, but it's not hard!

I haven't sloughed my way through the whole video yet (just too much stupid for one sitting), but why is a female character with breasts furthering a female stereotype but a male character with at least a 4-pack isn't?

August 04, 2013, 02:52:16 PM #27 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:18:12 PM by surhotchaperchlorome
Quote from: MrBogosity on August 04, 2013, 01:18:34 PM
It's not 100%, you have to make some adjustments yourself, but it's not hard!

I haven't sloughed my way through the whole video yet (just too much stupid for one sitting), but why is a female character with breasts furthering a female stereotype but a male character with at least a 4-pack isn't?
BECAUSE CIS/MALE/WHITE/STRAIGHT/CHRISTIAN/FIRSTWORLDPRIVILEGE! HUR DUR!

Quote from: surhotchaperchlorome on August 04, 2013, 02:52:16 PM
BECAUSE CIS/MALE/WHITE/STRAIGHT/CHRISTIAN/FIRSTWORLDPRIVILEGE! HUR DUR!

BECAUSE PENIS!! HUR DUR DUR!!!
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

So 3 videos in and STILL jsut ONE GODDAMN TROPE.