Anita Sarkeesian is at it AGAIN!

Started by Skm1091, May 29, 2013, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

And the comments are disabled, unsurprising.
Took her long enough.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

May 29, 2013, 07:10:14 AM #2 Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:15:52 AM by MrBogosity
That's IT??? She got all that money and she's just doing another talking-head-in-front-of-a-greenscreen thing? Content aside, this is something that could be done cheaply in an afternoon. The audio's not even any better! Either she's ripping off her donors, or whoever she's paying to do her videos is ripping her off.

I think her supporters are stuck in "protect the scammer" mode where they fiercely defend her just to convince themselves they didn't get swindled.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

If she wouldn't purposolsolely misrepresent the sources she's puting up I wouldn't mind so much.  At least I hope she's doing it deliberately or else she's falling into the tired old trope of girls having no clue about video games.

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on May 29, 2013, 07:58:20 AM
I think her supporters are stuck in "protect the scammer" mode where they fiercely defend her just to convince themselves they didn't get swindled.

This woman needs to play lollipop chainsaw the love interest of the main character (Juliet Starling) is basically a belt ornament. (look at trailer bellow)

[yt]RbeCAfMuwXg[/yt]

See what I mean?

How about in Metal Slug 3? In the final mission the playable character gets abducted by a bunch of aliens. If male (Marco & Tarma) they have to get rescued by the female characters (Eri & Fio) note: Do not watch video bellow if you do not like spoilers.

[yt]I-OeM0xiL_0[/yt]

How about Resident evil Code Veronica when Steve Burnside the love interest of the female character Claire Redfield turns into a monster and dies at the last moment when he saves her from a himself and a killer tentacle. spoiler bellow

[yt]GvnxUrMK0Y0[/yt]

Original Resident Evil/Remake? If you play as Jill Valentine you have to rescue Chris Redfield.

House of the Dead 3? In this game one of the main playable characters is a girl (Lisa Rogan) and they have to rescue A MAN (Thomas Rogan).

I can go on and on.

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on May 29, 2013, 04:23:17 AM
And the comments are disabled, unsurprising.
Took her long enough.
Ratings too.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Lollipop chainsaw is a real deceptive game.  On the cover it looks like a gold mine for the feminists but it's actually quite the contrary.  Juliette is always in control of the situation and has a perfectly healthy relationship with her family and with her boyfriend Nick who just acts as a straight man to all the zaniness that goes on.
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

That isn't to say that there is sexism and objectification of women in games. I just think Sarkeesian isn't really the ideal spokesperson for this issue.

Quote from: Lord T Hawkeye on May 29, 2013, 05:46:36 PM
Lollipop chainsaw is a real deceptive game.  On the cover it looks like a gold mine for the feminists but it's actually quite the contrary.  Juliette is always in control of the situation and has a perfectly healthy relationship with her family and with her boyfriend Nick who just acts as a straight man to all the zaniness that goes on.

Feminist response: But look at the revealing clothing, its all a patriarchal conspiracy...waaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!

I also remember several other female characters who are non victims. Regina from Dino Crisis, Alyssa Hamilton (for most part) from Clock tower 3, Miku Hinasaki from Fatal Frame series.

any others?

Hey, Bayonetta doesn'twear revealing clothing ;)

Quote from: tnu on May 29, 2013, 08:00:07 PM
Hey, Bayonetta doesn'twear revealing clothing ;)

She is a little fetish.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Wait, she is STILL going on with the Damsel in Distress BS? I thought this was supposed to be "Tropes vs Women", not "This one trope in particular vs Women"

Quote from: VectorM on May 30, 2013, 03:37:26 AM
Wait, she is STILL going on with the Damsel in Distress BS? I thought this was supposed to be "Tropes vs Women", not "This one trope in particular vs Women"
eeyup. All I can say to her supporters is that they have been scammed out of their money.

Ugh, where to begin with all this...

First of, I'm not a fan of her work, as she falls into the typical feminist cliché of invoking things like "the patriarchy," "misogyny," and "objectification." She egregiously misuses those words in my opinion.

Taken by herself, she pretty innocuous in her message...but what really gets me is how too many people whom should know better are taking her and her message seriously. Go look up youtube user (and fellow New Zealander) Dangerous Analysis:http://www.youtube.com/user/dangerousanalysis to see how shaky her arguments are. Yet it is galling to see a lot of gaming journos and general internet commentators take her seriously, and consider her series "well researched and informative" :/

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the reason for a lot of her support is due to the fact that said journos and commentators are self-conscious regarding the supposed state of gender and gaming culture, and are supporting her more as a show of "see see, we're not sexist!" than of her message.

As for her genuine supporters, I wonder what will happen if and when she decides to abruptly stop doing tropes vs. women...actually, I already know, you already know: They'll finger us criticisers saying that this is "all your fault," even when our criticisms (for the most part) are quite valid.