Truth Hits You Like Katana Bricks (from Fail Quotes)

Started by R.E.H.W.R., March 28, 2013, 05:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on April 25, 2013, 11:48:54 AM
More like a draw cut. As you hit the target, you would draw through.

I was just thinking about how much easier it is to cut something (a steak, butter, etc.) by sliding the knife back and forth than pushing it. Not that I have any expertise here, but it seems to me that swinging a straight sword is more like pushing the knife in, where the curved blade would make more of a sliding cut.

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 25, 2013, 01:56:14 PM
I was just thinking about how much easier it is to cut something (a steak, butter, etc.) by sliding the knife back and forth than pushing it. Not that I have any expertise here, but it seems to me that swinging a straight sword is more like pushing the knife in, where the curved blade would make more of a sliding cut.

the difference is the point of percussion. Most curved swords, with the exception of thick ones, point of percussion is at the last few inches of the tip, so you must cut most hit the target and draw through to do a lot of damage. Very thick curved swords, POC (point of percussion) is usually in the middle of the blade as they are usually chopping blades.

Straight double edged blades POC is below the tip, mostly cause the tip is narrower, but, it has the weird effect of having an easier time going through hard materials. Its kind of a hacking slice, if that makes any sense. Also, at least that is the case for European swords, fighters would grab the sword by the blade and swing the hilt at the other fighter, usually hitting with the pommel. Which is where, "to pommel someone to death" might come from.

I think the difference is that the curved sword's goal is to heavily damage tissue, while, a Straight double edged blade's is to go through what it hits.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

[yt]fxYvwEnKRjA[/yt]

UGH!
Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu

http://www.thearma.org/essays/influence.htm

This is why I hate that we forgot our martial heritage.
Seems everyone will make up crap about it.
Lao Tzu

May 07, 2013, 08:14:59 PM #83 Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:02:39 PM by Ibrahim90
thought I'd never see this again: While it isn't from the far east, it is about another unrecognized or forgotten style of martial arts--namely near eastern ones:

entreri.egloos.com/5075869

it's a manual for middle eastern knights (or fursan)--specifically the mamlukes (being from the 15th016th century): foot combat, horse combat, even wrestling on horseback, are all included in this partial scan of the manual. I'm translating it in my spare time (being medieval Arabic, the style is a bit weird, and spelling/handwriting atrocious).

EDIT: here's what the fifth plate says (four men, all with maces (or rather, sticks)):

"section of the how to of fencing with the mace on the ground"
[spoiler]
"and that is the taking* and parrying(?), then if you do so strike left, parry left, and hit above the head, and parry from the head, and hit right and left, and strike the (unknown word), and head, the cross the guard then the (unsure meaning). then come with the mace from below towards the chin them flip it upside down then flip it over the head, then strike right and left.

below the picture:

"then strike his albows from the that direction(?), then strike left and right, and so you has the first head (section) been completed. Then your adversary does what you have done, then he does the known moves between the heads(?) of the mace, and in this manner one does what I described to you on the horse, should you perfect the play on the ground.
[/spoiler]

*possibly referring to the giving of blows.

here another plate (two men grappling on horseback):

"Section of fighting/countering on horseback with the hands"

[spoiler]"if he meets you and stretches his hand to your chest to pull you from on top of the horse, then counter his grapple with your left hand, and place your lower arm on his direction, and do not cross with your elbow to the outside of his lower arm, then he is (at this point, I can't make much sense of what he's saying"  [/spoiler]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on May 07, 2013, 08:14:59 PM
thought I'd never see this again: While it isn't from the far east, it is about another unrecognized or forgotten style of martial arts--namely near eastern ones:

entreri.egloos.com/5075869

it's a manual for middle eastern knights (or fursan)--specifically the mamlukes (being from the 15th016th century): foot combat, horse combat, even wrestling on horseback, are all included in this partial scan of the manual. I'm translating it in my spare time (being medieval Arabic, the style is a bit weird, and spelling/handwriting atrocious).

EDIT: here's what the fifth plate says (four men, all with maces (or rather, sticks)):

"section of the how to of fencing with the mace on the ground"
[spoiler]
"and that is the taking* and parrying(?), then if you do so strike left, parry left, and hit above the head, and parry from the head, and hit right and left, and strike the (unknown word), and head, the cross the guard then the (unsure meaning). then come with the mace from below towards the chin them flip it upside down then flip it over the head, then strike right and left.

below the picture:

"then strike his albows from the that direction(?), then strike left and right, and so you has the first head (section) been completed. Then your adversary does what you have done, then he does the known moves between the heads(?) of the mace, and in this manner one does what I described to you on the horse, should you perfect the play on the ground.
[/spoiler]

*possibly referring to the giving of blows.

here another plate (two men grappling on horseback):

"Section of fighting/countering on horseback with the hands"

[spoiler]"if he meets you and stretches his hand to your chest to pull you from on top of the horse, then counter his grapple with your left hand, and place your lower arm on his direction, and do not cross with your elbow to the outside of his lower arm, then he is (at this point, I can't make much sense of what he's saying"  [/spoiler]

Dude, that's an awesome find.
Lao Tzu

here's a topic not discussed regularly: European siege weapons:

[yt]5WDiW1WDyrA[/yt]
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on June 02, 2013, 06:37:42 PM
here's a topic not discussed regularly: European siege weapons:

[yt]5WDiW1WDyrA[/yt]

I recall watching this show some years ago.

It demonstrates the power of experimental archeology, and makes for some really good educational television.  There are a number of good programs about people testing out ides about how the Egyptian pyramids and obelisks were done as well.

Can someone explain why the fingers of the off hand are touching the sword hand?

[yt]INUkeyJUY3o[/yt]
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on June 30, 2013, 09:55:56 AM
Can someone explain why the fingers of the off hand are touching the sword hand?

[yt]INUkeyJUY3o[/yt]

Even I have no clue :shrug: