Truth Hits You Like Katana Bricks (from Fail Quotes)

Started by R.E.H.W.R., March 28, 2013, 05:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Anyone know any other medieval fighting manuals? I know there is Talhoffer's fighting techniques, but that's all I know.

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 19, 2013, 12:10:34 AM
Anyone know any other medieval fighting manuals? I know there is Talhoffer's fighting techniques, but that's all I know.

Here you go.
http://www.thearma.org/manuals.htm
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Something I've never understood. Why is it that Europe is the only part of the world who stuck with the double edged straight sword?
Just about every nation I've studied usually goes with a curved blade.
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on April 24, 2013, 08:29:41 PM
Something I've never understood. Why is it that Europe is the only part of the world who stuck with the double edged straight sword?

Don't you guys have the Falchion? I guess they felt they did not need to change since the straight sword served them so well since the time of the celts and romans.

Quote from: Skm1091 on April 24, 2013, 08:52:11 PM
Don't you guys have the Falchion? I guess they felt they did not need to change since the straight sword served them so well since the time of the celts and romans.

Well, ya. But, it seems that Europe was the only part of the world were the best weapons you could get.
Lao Tzu

April 24, 2013, 11:08:43 PM #68 Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:27:11 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on April 24, 2013, 08:29:41 PM

the Arabs also stuck to straight, double edged swords, at least until the Ottoman (or in the Levant and Egypt, Mamluk), period, when the Turks introduced them (and the Mongols solidying the trend). As you can imagine from the implication, the style was introduced to most parts of the word: it originated from China and its environs, and spread around as the people spread/invaded/migrated to the outlying regions. So the Japanese basically got their idea (in all likelyhood) for a sword from this weapon or similar, and the Arabs got it from the Turks and Mongols.

why did it replace the straight sword? style I guess. I'm told it may be better at cutting, but how much so, I dunno, if at all.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 24, 2013, 11:08:43 PM
why did it replace the straight sword? style I guess. I'm told it may be better at cutting, but how much so, I dunno, if at all.

Not necessarily. A blunt bastard sword can cut a tatami mat just as well as a curved sword.
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on April 24, 2013, 11:30:21 PM
Not necessarily. A blunt bastard sword can cut a tatami mat just as well as a curved sword.

well, yeah, but I didn't say otherwise. I simply mentioned that people told me that it is better, but reiterated that I don't know if it is true. :shrug:
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on April 24, 2013, 11:51:42 PM
well, yeah, but I didn't say otherwise. I simply mentioned that people told me that it is better, but reiterated that I don't know if it is true. :shrug:

I'm kinda thinking that maybe its like the ak 47 vs m16.

Curved swords may be cheaper to reduce, but are still reliable.
Maybe. :shrug:
Lao Tzu

I would think with a curved sword you'd get more of a sliding motion when you swung it, aiding in the cut.

Europeans used curved swords for a long time.  Cavalry sabres are curved (not a lot, mostly towards the tip) single-edged blades intended specifically to be used from horseback  They were in use right up until WWI by everyone, and those nations that still had horse cavalry later on (both Poland and the US kept using horse cavalry for some kinds of operations until WWII) kept using them.

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 25, 2013, 08:11:30 AM
I would think with a curved sword you'd get more of a sliding motion when you swung it, aiding in the cut.

More like a draw cut. As you hit the target, you would draw through.
Lao Tzu