Author Topic: What's your guy's thoughts on Yoga?  (Read 1280 times)

R.E.H.W.R.

• Cluon generator
  • Bogometer: -30
    • View Profile
    • Email
What's your guy's thoughts on Yoga?
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:02 AM »
What's your guy's thoughts on Yoga?

The idea that its better than stretching seems like bullshit to me.
I keep hearing the "Well, yoga is so much better than western exercise." and I swear it sounds the same thing I encounter with kung fu and katana nuts.

Really, I honestly don't know what to think about this.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Ibrahim90

• Podcast Co-Hosts
  • Bogometer: -44
    • View Profile
Re: What's your guy's thoughts on Yoga?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:41:33 AM »
whatever rocks your boat. I don't think it matters one way or another. though paying people to coach you personally in Yoga may be a bit much, and screams "wasted money and time!" to me.

having said that, I did know a 50-something year old professor who did it. have to say, she was in better shape that I ever was at the time (~18-19 years old, a bit of a stick).
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

R.E.H.W.R.

• Cluon generator
  • Bogometer: -30
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:56 AM »
Based on the research I've seen so far.
Yoga can be good for you, but based on what I've seen, its about the same as most exercises.
I found one study about how it helps people with ADHD better than "Convential Motor Exercises" Couldn't find out that meant.
But, martial arts and fencing did the same for me, so I'm a little iffy on that.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

AnCap Dave

• Sarcasitron collider
  • Bogometer: -4
    • AOL Instant Messenger - The+Mephisto+D
    • View Profile
    • The Crazy World of IronFury
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »
I suppose it depends on the person really. Personally it doesn't do much for me, but I have seen it do some good things for other people.

Though admittedly, DDP Yoga is not the same as traditional yoga.

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -42
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Yoga is basically stretching plus meditation. Stretching is good for the body, meditation is good for the mind. Both are beneficial; the only problem I have with either is when you bring in the spiritual mumbo jumbo. As Douglas Adams said, "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it, too?"