apparently, fossils are a danger to homeland security

Started by Ibrahim90, December 03, 2012, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 03, 2012, 07:46:55 PM Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:51:31 PM by Ibrahim90
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50060542/ns/technology_and_science-science/

I wish I was making this shit up.

I mean, if they're smuggling it, why can't the sheriff handle this? maybe the FBI (and that's a stretch).

heck, why not just regulate instead of banning the trade in Mongolian and Chinese fossils? then it might be easier to keep track of everything, and it won't raise any WTF's about Homeland security.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Why is there even a law for fossils in the first place?

Why is "smuggling" even a word to associate with the transportation of fossils?

December 03, 2012, 09:04:43 PM #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:19:00 PM by Ibrahim90
Quote from: D on December 03, 2012, 08:33:27 PM
Why is there even a law for fossils in the first place?

because fossils are depending on which govco you hear it from, either a national treasure (China is particularly into that), or a mineral resource (like Gold, or Diamonds), and are treated accordingly (and to be kinda fair, it can fetch a lot of money). Then there are (in the US and Canada at least), issues with property rights (a lot of land where excavations take place are government property) and contracts, though why they should give a shit if it's on public land is beyond me. It is supposed to be public, right? (EDIT: plus, many of the laws either don't work, or are counter-productive: we've been having this ""war" on smugglers" for at least 20 years--it dates back to when Sue the T-rex was found, if not before)

and of course, there is the belief that they should be studied by paleontologists and not used for profit. Frankly though, if you simply made it legal to trade in say, a Tarbosaurus, and just provide the incentive for collectors to send what they got to the paleontologists for study (or better yet, have paleontologists handle the excavation and field study for them, so that the context and environment could be studied, as well as the fossils proper), there would be no need for a ban or any real govco restrictions. Paleontologists need to realize this though, but many don't seem to get that--at least that's the impression I get.

and of course, there is China...they just shoot whoever they find, and they have IIRC agreements with the US on them matter.

"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox