BHS gets atheist adverts on buses

Started by Sinlingual, October 23, 2008, 07:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey first of all i'd like to say i'm a big fan of yours shane. You're one of my favourite youtubers.

In yesterday's 'The Sun' there was an article saying:
BUSES could soon carry the slogan "There's probably no God" in an atheist advertising campaign.

The British Humanist Association, which objects to Christian ads, has raised £18,000 to pay for the ads in London.

It will read: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Militant atheist Prof Richard Dawkins, who pledged £5,500, said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride. This will make people think."

But the Methodist Church thanked Prof Dawkins for "getting God onto London buses".

Rev Jenny Ellis said: "We are grateful to Richard for his continued interest in God and for encouraging people to think about these issues."

LINK:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1839299.ece

How dare they to call Richard Dawkins militant!

This is the thing that gets me: they have all sorts of billboards like, "The fool says: No God" (and the reference to Psalms) or something like that, and that's fine and dandy, free speech and all.

Then, atheists put up a billboard that simply said, "Don't believe in God? You're not alone" and the website and phone number of their local atheist group. Everyone got all up in arms! They were horrible people not respecting the religion of others and persecuting Christians for their beliefs! BO-GUS!!!

...Just had to get that off my chest.

I completely agree with you, Shane!

Fitting to this:

I bet they wanted to put this, but I guess it was too long for a bus advertisement.

There is also a strawman atheism version of this:

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 23, 2008, 07:58:03 PM
This is the thing that gets me: they have all sorts of billboards like, "The fool says: No God" (and the reference to Psalms) or something like that, and that's fine and dandy, free speech and all.

Then, atheists put up a billboard that simply said, "Don't believe in God? You're not alone" and the website and phone number of their local atheist group. Everyone got all up in arms! They were horrible people not respecting the religion of others and persecuting Christians for their beliefs! BO-GUS!!!

...Just had to get that off my chest.

I lived in america for over 18 years and I moved away to england on my own. I can go up to people here and say do you believe in god? and they'll say no about 50% of the time. It's amazing the vast difference here. BUT muslims are all over the place here and are very religious. In america it's the christians all up in arms and in england it's the muslims. I mean for christ's sake(no pun intended) one muslim preacher here placed a fatwa on the x-factor(kind of like american idol) for sponsoring a charity for injured british troops! Now that's bogus

Yeah, I've seen Pat Condell's videos about the Islamic threat in the UK.

@Sinlingual: But your signature is German  ;)

Quote from: Sinlingual on October 23, 2008, 07:33:42 PM
But the Methodist Church thanked Prof Dawkins for "getting God onto London buses".

Rev Jenny Ellis said: "We are grateful to Richard for his continued interest in God and for encouraging people to think about these issues."

See, these are the kind of religious people I like. Actually, I never had any problems with religious groups in Europe (mostly Germany). This of course might be related to about 120 years of oppression.

In fact, most people I know are atheists. And the religious one are extremely moderate. (I had some discussions with them and they agreed with me about 90% of the time. C'mon, thats no fun. Where are the German creationists?) Before I visited the USA I actually believed that no one on earth could be as deluded as all these atheist groups claim.

Ok, might be that an public high school in the middle of a "economically disadvantaged" area in a major city in the bible belt isn't the proper place for an 16 year old rural German kid, but still ...

America, you really need to pull yourself together

October 25, 2008, 01:52:05 AM #9 Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:29:34 AM by Atheos5150
"There's probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

I think the slogan they put on buses should of been a little more in your face.  I think a lot of people will mis-read the ad.   I understand using the word probably, because we can't without a doubt prove that god doesn't exist.  But then again how can you prove that something doesn't exist if there is 'no' proof that it does. Non-existence is a difficult thing to prove.  As my husband likes to say. "How do you know there's not a Baker under your bed?"

EDIT
After reading her thank you note at the guardian, I've come to a better understanding of using the world probably.  I still feel that people will not be intelligent enough to understand the 'probably' with in it and see it as a 'doubt' among atheist.

Quote from: Atheos5150 on October 25, 2008, 01:52:05 AM
"There's probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

I think the slogan they put on buses should of been a little more in your face.
Should have!

Quote from: Atheos5150 on October 25, 2008, 01:52:05 AM
I still feel that people will not be intelligent enough to understand the 'probably' with in it and see it as a 'doubt' among atheist.
Wow, you think pretty little of your fellow men, do you?

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 25, 2008, 09:20:45 AM
Wow, you think pretty little of your fellow men, do you?

LoL, you have no idea.  Just living here in Texas and talking to every day people, it's amazing how wide spread ignorance is.

Quote"How do you know there's not a Baker under your bed?"
Damned supernautral, invisible bakers, and their tendency to live under people's beds.

Quote from: Atheos5150 on October 26, 2008, 12:11:12 AM
LoL, you have no idea.  Just living here in Texas and talking to every day people, it's amazing how wide spread ignorance is.

Oh, I had no idea Texas was that bad.

Quote from: Sinlingual on October 23, 2008, 08:35:01 PM
I lived in america for over 18 years and I moved away to england on my own. I can go up to people here and say do you believe in god? and they'll say no about 50% of the time. It's amazing the vast difference here. BUT muslims are all over the place here and are very religious. In america it's the christians all up in arms and in england it's the muslims. I mean for christ's sake(no pun intended) one muslim preacher here placed a fatwa on the x-factor(kind of like american idol) for sponsoring a charity for injured british troops! Now that's bogus

THEY NEED A BUNNY!