Okay, let's create a cheat sheet to defend Gary Johnson and other libertarians.

Started by R.E.H.W.R., September 01, 2012, 01:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Okay, let's create a cheat sheet to defend Gary Johnson and other libertarians.

Please, put here the worst or most commonly used lies about Gary Johnson or any libertarians and the data we can use to debunk them. That way we have something to go back to real quick, saving us all time and effort.
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

Really, I can't think of any I've run into about Johnson. And there's a lot of good factoids we can use to defend him:

He was elected AND RE-ELECTED as a Republican in a state that's 2-1 Democratic.
He turned a billion dollar deficit into a billion dollar surplus.
He vetoed over 750 bills, more than all the other governors COMBINED.
He oversaw the biggest rate of job growth in the country.
He eliminated 1200 government jobs without firing a single person.
He's the only candidate for President who believes that gay marriage is a Federally-protected right.
He started a one-man fix-it shop and turned it into a business employing thousands of people.
When they polled to see how the people in each candidate's state felt about them, Gary Johnson got the ONLY positive result.

I can probably think of more later.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of Liberals claim they would've supported Ron Paul if he was pro-choice. That provides a nice seque to pointing out that Johnson is pro-choice and big on marriage equality.

Quote from: Goaticus on September 01, 2012, 03:22:26 PM
One thing I've noticed is that a lot of Liberals claim they would've supported Ron Paul if he was pro-choice. That provides a nice seque to pointing out that Johnson is pro-choice and big on marriage equality.

The Liberals are balancing things out and think that there's no chance of removing socialized medicine once it's in place, and Ron Paul might actually be telling the truth when he says he'd end all the current foreign wars and bring all the troops home from overseas.

(Socialized medicine will run out of money first in the US, while up here in Canada it's run out of DOCTORS AND NURSES.  In fact, it already had more than a decade ago, and the same governments that operate it also operate all the training facilities for doctors and nurses, so government isn't able to wiggle out of being responsible for the shortage.)

Quote from: MrBogosity on September 01, 2012, 07:37:34 AM
Really, I can't think of any I've run into about Johnson. And there's a lot of good factoids we can use to defend him:

He was elected AND RE-ELECTED as a Republican in a state that's 2-1 Democratic.
He turned a billion dollar deficit into a billion dollar surplus.
He vetoed over 750 bills, more than all the other governors COMBINED.
He oversaw the biggest rate of job growth in the country.
He eliminated 1200 government jobs without firing a single person.
He's the only candidate for President who believes that gay marriage is a Federally-protected right.
He started a one-man fix-it shop and turned it into a business employing thousands of people.
When they polled to see how the people in each candidate's state felt about them, Gary Johnson got the ONLY positive result.

I can probably think of more later.

I've heard a few rabid Paulbots say that Johnson wants to give more Foreign aid. In which I point them towards this Reason article.
http://reason.com/archives/2011/05/23/reason-interview-gary-johnson
"The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be."
Lao Tzu

well, you could point out that not being in favor of government dole is not the same as not being in favor of helping the poor. the poor can be helped, without the need of government.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on September 02, 2012, 01:46:51 AM
well, you could point out that not being in favor of government dole is not the same as not being in favor of helping the poor. the poor can be helped, without the need of government.

You know that they'll say, "Well, your polices will hurt poor people more." or some other nonsense.
Lao Tzu

Apparently, Gary Johnson economic policies are the same Barack Obama's according to YouTuber shraka.

Mentioned Gary Johnson's record and I got this.

"Yeah, using the same sorts of policies Obama is using, and Romney is now promising to fight against. :S
If you really want job growth and economically sensible policies, you need Clinton back. Or at least someone who'll bring all of Clinton's advisers back."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on September 02, 2012, 02:02:07 AM
You know that they'll say, "Well, your polices will hurt poor people more." or some other nonsense.

in which case they're being complete idiots. After all, which is better: letting the poor have the means and opportunity to pull themselves up if they have the talent and will by their bootstraps, and maintain their own wealth? or making the same be dependent on dole that may or may not last, and which involves taking money by force from people who could potentially use it to hire the same poor people for work? their call.

If people really want the latter solution, they can go fuck themselves.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Fresh piece of nonsense.

"Johnson is, in my opinion, a candyass. He is a failed republican who suddenly came out with all of these populist libertarian views once out of office. Everyone acts like he's so ballsy for coming out and advocating drug legalization. He didn't break from the conservative mold and do anything like that until he was out of office and useless. Only when it could no longer negatively affect his career did he start talking about such things."
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on October 16, 2012, 10:41:10 PM
Fresh piece of nonsense.

"Johnson is, in my opinion, a candyass. He is a failed republican who suddenly came out with all of these populist libertarian views once out of office. Everyone acts like he's so ballsy for coming out and advocating drug legalization. He didn't break from the conservative mold and do anything like that until he was out of office and useless. Only when it could no longer negatively affect his career did he start talking about such things."

I was under the impression he was at this since before being governor. And looking at his record as governor, I simply cannot see any evidence for his/her assertion. simply put, the person is talking out their ass.

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on October 17, 2012, 01:46:13 AM
I was under the impression he was at this since before being governor. And looking at his record as governor, I simply cannot see any evidence for his/her assertion. simply put, the person is talking out their ass.

That's what I said.

His responce, "Johnson was not nearly as "libertarian" as he likes to pretend he is now.
Talked about the drug war? That's useful. Libertarianism is dead in America. The Libertarian party is made up of failed republicans and those to crazy to "make it" in the republican party."

That's not dogmatic at all.
Lao Tzu

Quote from: R.E.H.W.R. on October 17, 2012, 04:20:02 AMLibertarianism is dead in America. The Libertarian party is made up of failed republicans and those to crazy to "make it" in the republican party."

Switch the words "Libertarian" and "Republican" in that sentence and it'll be MUCH more accurate.

Quote from: MrBogosity on October 17, 2012, 06:53:18 AM
Switch the words "Libertarian" and "Republican" in that sentence and it'll be MUCH more accurate.

With the Democrats very close to follow.
Lao Tzu