Americans Elect activists in Oklahoma nominate Gary Johnson!

Started by MrBogosity, August 07, 2012, 09:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Well well well, this is an interesting twist!

Some background: Oklahoma has traditionally been one of the worst states in the country for ballot access. The Oklahoma LP has a lawsuit pending, but as of now, regardless of the outcome, Gary Johnson will be on the ballot, thanks to activists in the Americans Elect party!

Americans Elect Activists in Oklahoma Organize the Party in Their State, Elect Officers, and Nominate Gary Johnson for President

QuoteDuring the last week of July, several leaders of Americans Elect within Oklahoma held a state Americans Elect convention. All the registered voters in Americans Elect were informed of the convention, and about half of them participated. They elected state officers, and also nominated candidates for presidential elector who are pledged to Gary Johnson for President and James P. Gray for Vice-President. On August 7, they submitted the names of their presidential elector candidates to the State Board of Elections.

These state leaders of Americans Elect believe that Johnson has at least a chance to poll 10% of the vote for President in Oklahoma, and that would keep the party on the ballot for 2014. They are not necessarily libertarians, but they respect the Johnson campaign. The Libertarian Party is currently in court over its own ballot status.

Looks like Gary just might make all 50 states!

How do you feel about Gary this year (by the way, this is one of the best Young Turks videos I've seen in a while, except that they think that Bernie is not establishment, and of course they are progressives so they don't like our economic policies)? [yt]X4iNBrYbEjA[/yt]
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat.

Quote from: libertarian__revolution on June 03, 2016, 03:10:32 PM
How do you feel about Gary this year (by the way, this is one of the best Young Turks videos I've seen in a while, except that they think that Bernie is not establishment, and of course they are progressives so they don't like our economic policies)? [yt]X4iNBrYbEjA[/yt]

He might have a shot: first one since Ross Perot actually. I wish him the best of luck!
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: Ibrahim90 on June 04, 2016, 12:50:16 AM
He might have a shot: first one since Ross Perot actually. I wish him the best of luck!

I think he'd have a far better shot if he was up against a different Republican candidate, though.

Quote from: evensgrey on June 04, 2016, 10:15:45 AM
I think he'd have a far better shot if he was up against a different Republican candidate, though.

That is possible for sure: Trump (sadly) has a serious shot at the white house.

Then again, I would argue that being the sanest choice, Gary Johnson might have his best shot now. It's too hard to tell. I'm not optimistic that he'll win, but I'd say he does still have a good shot. But I certainly hope at the least that it gets the ideas much needed in this country (anti-war, liberalization* of the social and economic spheres, etc) out there in the mainstream.

*in the European (or Arab) sense. So pro-free market.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

If he can get enough votes to prevent either of the idiots from having a majority, about 15%, it should slow down the rate of stupid for a while. Also, it would help if more libertarians ran for Congress - for the same reason - if nobody has a clear majority, dumbass laws are less likely to pass muster.

Don't be so sure a lack of a majority would be a good thing.  They might decide to go all 'bi-partisan' on us, which is rather worse than them being at each other's throats over nothing.