Glenn Greenwald on Strip Searches and Obama.

Started by Goaticus, April 15, 2012, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.salon.com/2012/04/03/the_obama_doj_and_strip_searches/

From the article.

"As The Guardian said yesterday: "The decision was a victory for the jails and for the Obama administration, which argued for an across-the-board rule allowing strip-searches of all those entering the general jail population, even those arrested on minor offenses." Civil rights lawyer Stephen Bergstein added:

This evidence suggesting that minor offenders are not smuggling contraband into jails was not good enough for the Obama administration, which is asking the Supreme Court to endorse the restrictive strip search policy in Florence. At oral argument, a lawyer for the Obama Justice Department told the Supreme Court that "[p]rotesters...who decide deliberately to get arrested... might be stopped by the police, they see the squad car behind them. They might have a gun or contraband in their car and think hey, I'm going to put that on my person, I just need to get it somewhere that is not going to be found during a patdown search, and then potentially they have the contraband with them." This position would probably be identical to that advanced by a Republican presidential administration.

What makes the Obama DOJ's position in favor of this broad strip-search authority particularly remarkable is that federal prisons do not even have this policy. As The New York Times' Adam Liptak explained, "the procedures endorsed by the majority are forbidden by statute in at least 10 states and are at odds with the policies of federal authorities. According to a supporting brief filed by the American Bar Association, international human rights treaties also ban the procedures."

Glenn Greenwald is great for not allowing Obama to get away with civil liberties violations.

Quote from: Goaticus on April 15, 2012, 08:39:22 PMAt oral argument, a lawyer for the Obama Justice Department told the Supreme Court that "[p]rotesters...who decide deliberately to get arrested... might be stopped by the police, they see the squad car behind them. They might have a gun or contraband in their car and think hey, I'm going to put that on my person, I just need to get it somewhere that is not going to be found during a patdown search, and then potentially they have the contraband with them."

Wow...that sounds like a bit from a Blackadder episode!

It amazes me that anyone can think Obama is pro civil liberties. That's one of the reasons I'm hoping that Wrights wins the nomination. I can get most of the Ron Paul people I know to support either Johnson or Wrights, but I'm actually getting disgruntled former Obama supporters interested in Wrights.

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 15, 2012, 08:48:53 PM

if a politician or other government official (in this case, some stooge working for Obama) is using Blackadder logic, he's officially idiot extraordinaire material.

I call it "Zallum's rule"--after myself obviously  ;)

"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Quote from: MrBogosity on April 15, 2012, 08:48:53 PM

Might it be... a cunning plan? :-P

I just read the title as 'Glenn Greenwald  Strip searches Obama'

I got all excited....

Quote from: Anpanman on April 30, 2012, 10:13:04 PM
I just read the title as 'Glenn Greenwald  Strip searches Obama'

I got all excited....

Now THAT would be a delicious irony. Also a great youtube video if they got footage of Obama afterwards, waddling over to his car and struggling to sit down...