Postmodernism

Started by MindlessAutomata, March 29, 2009, 02:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
What could be more fun than attacking postmodernism?  I guess it's something almost everyone inherently knows is BS, but attacking it is certainly fun!

What is postmodernism, anyway?

Dictionary.com defines postmodernism as "any of a number of trends or movements in the arts and literature developing in the 1970s in reaction to or rejection of the dogma, principles, or practices of established modernism, esp. a movement in architecture and the decorative arts running counter to the practice and influence of the International Style and encouraging the use of elements from historical vernacular styles and often playful illusion, decoration, and complexity."

I like Moe Szyslak's definition better: Weird for the sake of being weird.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on March 30, 2009, 02:28:28 PM
I like Moe Szyslak’s definition better: Weird for the sake of being weird.
I thought that was absurdism?

Why do people mark sentences starting with "I thought" with question marks?
Whenever I start a sentence with "I thought," it's because I make a statement.
I don't ask whether I thought something, I know that I thought something and say so!

Sorry, this is just something that bugs me.

Because you aren't sure and are asking for a correction. If you could always tell a question by the phrasing, there'd be no need for a question mark.

Conversely, polite and/or formal requests are phrased as a question, but written without a question mark: "Would everyone who has not received the free polka-dotted lampshades with their swim fins please come to the front of the line."

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 30, 2009, 08:59:38 PM
"Would everyone who has not received the free polka-dotted lampshades with their swim fins please come to the front of the line."

*Steps to the front of the line*

I've been in this line for over a day now and still no free stuff. This is a ripoff.

Quote from: IceSage on March 31, 2009, 11:53:38 AM
I've been in this line for over a day now and still no free stuff. This is a ripoff.

I agree, I shall write a sternly worded letter to whomever organized this event for free polka dotted Lampshades...

I guess it goes further to proving the point that nothing you really want, is ever free. :(

I believe this:  "Postmodernism
     A relativistic system of observation and thought that denies absolutes and objectivity.  Postmodernism has influenced theology, art, culture, architecture, society, film, technology, and economics.  Traditional social, art, social, and cultural, constructs are discarded and reinterpreted in relativistic terms.  An example of postmodern thought would be the validation of homosexuality as an equally legitimate sexual expression over and against the Judeo-Christian ethic of heterosexual monogamy.  In other words, previously taboo practices and beliefs are given equal validity to traditional values and norms often to the point of displacing the latter.  This equalization and displacement are not restricted to religious realms, but affect all circles of human interaction." -http://www.spiritrestoration.org/Theological_Terms/Panentheism_to_%20Rosary.htm

Is what he was referring to, guys.
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world—'No. You move.'"
-Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man 537

Quote from: MrBogosity on March 30, 2009, 08:59:38 PM
"Would everyone who has not received the free polka-dotted lampshades with their swim fins please come to the front of the line."

(the sun, of all things, goes to the front of the line)

Me: 0_0

Mount Everest: 0_0

michael jackson: 0_0

Me: WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE!?!