Jarrah White and his astounding maths skills

Started by Theta Omega, October 23, 2008, 11:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 23, 2008, 11:43:30 AM Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:54:55 AM by Theta Omega
[yt]MW31fOWzY-E[/yt]
Our favorite maths expert has a video where he "worked out" how much the original apollo "jump salute" clip was "slowed down." He admitted that increasing a presumably half-speed video by 50% only increased it to 75% it's "original" speed, yet made the mistake again.
He increased the original video by 150%, and then "worked out" how much he needed to slow it down back to the original. It took him some fancy video software to work out he needed to slow it by 67%, or 2/3. So, whilst the "original speed" was 150%, or 3/2 (a number he pulled out of his ass) he basically proved that 3/2 * 2/3 = 1. That's it. He didn't prove anything other than that.

Even if Sony Vegas recognized that a video's speed has been lowered to 50%, changing it to 150% would still be wrong.
It is 100% which would be correct!

Indeed, but increasing from 50% to 100% is still increasing by 200%

Yes, I know, I was just explaining why his "I thought Sony Vegas recognized that the video's speed is at 50%, so I changed it to 150%" logic is flawed.

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 23, 2008, 12:23:48 PM
Yes, I know, I was just explaining why his "I thought Sony Vegas recognized that the video's speed is at 50%, so I changed it to 150%" logic is flawed.

I'm shocked that anyone thinks their software could tell how much a video was sped up or slowed down!
:o
Then again, Jarrah white is a few fries short of a happy meal!

Quote from: Tom S. Fox on October 23, 2008, 02:51:01 PM
Personally, I think it was just an excuse.
It was, he didn't want to admit to thinking that "reducing by 50%" and "increasing by 50%" were the same operation but reversed.

Now he still looks like an idiot, of course, for thinking that 150% is ever the right value for doubling the speed of a video.

October 27, 2008, 12:46:03 AM #9 Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:52:33 AM by Textra1
This guy is a complete nimrod. He sped the original up by 150%, then realised the error and slowed it down by 67% to get the clip back to it original speed. He then concludes that this proves that the original NASA clip was slowed down by 67%. White is as dumb as a bag of hammers. He's just proved that 1 * 1.5 * 2/3 = 1

He then goes on to suggest that David Percy's clip proves that the original NASA clip was slowed down, yet White's original video proves that Percy made the same error White did. Oh this keeps getting better and better. He has shown that Percy's video is also wrong and fails to recognise this fact. White has really scored an own goal here.

I hope you guys don't think that all us Australians are like this guy. Though with the likes of Ken Ham, Ray Comfort (A kiwi I know...near enough) and now this arse-clown, it might seem we're breeding our own brand of stupid down here.

I wish he would sign up here. It would be fun.

Quote from: BZ987654 on October 29, 2008, 10:16:06 AM
I wish he would sign up here. It would be fun.

So do I. I'd love to run this idiot through some basic mathematics and physics. I'd also love to get some of his bone-headed fanboys in here too. I'm sure I lost a couple of IQ points just by reading through his comments section. I love how brave they are when they're over at YouTube and how they love to disrespect Shane's refutations, but then suddenly lose their nerve when asked to step outside(come to this forum) and discuss it. People like this really make me pessimistic about the future of the human race. If anyone wants a vision of the future of humanity check out a movie called Idiocracy.

It's not the fact they doubt the moon landing that bugs me. Being sceptical is a good thing. We should be sceptical of any claim and demand evidence. It's the fact that they make shit up in their heads and then look for anything that might support it. They have a confirmation bias. White's logic in this case is something like this:

• Assume the conclusion, ie.the Moon landing was filmed on Earth
  • Find video footage and speed it up to match Earth gravity (Or at least attempt to)
  • Point out that you think it looks just like it would on Earth
  • Ignore anyone who points out holes in the hypothesis, ie. arms moving too quickly, can't hop/run in Earth's gravity as you can in 1/6 g, etc...
  • Claim that it proves the moon landing was filmed on Earth
  • Have other moon-hoaxers declare you winner
It's so full of stupid. They cannot see the failure of their reasoning.

Well, I just tried to get one of White's sycophants in here in talk about the moon landing stuff. Unfortunately, he was all talk in the youtube comments but seemed to shrivel up somewhat when asked to come here and debate his points. No surprises I guess. I tried my best to be an irritating prick and goad him into coming here but alas, t'was not to be. Here's a transcript of the exchange. The first quote is addressed to White. He never replied. ::)

QuoteTextra1:
If you still think your claims have merit, why don't you come on over to the Bogus Discussion forum and discuss it with us. There are a couple of points made here that you have failed to address; they seriously undermine your claim. If you can't, that's cool. There's nothing wrong with being wrong about something. Perhaps you should retract this video now that you've been shown to be wrong.

w w w . bogosity . tv / forum / index . php

greenmagoos:
Excellent shane has his own website and forum.

I think I'll join and start a thread.

SHANE SHAVE THAT FUCKIN' RIDICULOUS GEEKY BEARD OF, AND PLEASE TAKE A HOLIDAY YOU MAD ANGRY BASTARD BEFORE YOU SUFFER FROM AN ANERYSUM.

Textra1:
"I think I'll join and start a thread."
We're waiting.

"PLEASE TAKE A HOLIDAY YOU MAD ANGRY BASTARD BEFORE YOU SUFFER FROM AN ANERYSUM[sic]."
Figures that a moon hoaxer would have trouble spelling. Maths and spelling; not your strong suits are they guys. lol

greenmagoos:
Well spotted supergeek.

Textra1:
At least with a three word comment you reduced the chances of messing up the spelling, but you missed the hyphen in 'super-geek'. lol

So, are you coming over to start a thread or what? You talk a big game, but can you do it? Or are you chicken? Puk puk puk pukgurk!! lol

Nah, I'm just kidding. You're really a wonderful human being. I'm sure your Nobel prize is in the mail. ^^

greenmagoos:
Yes blah..blah...blah.

And what exactly do you debate on shanes forum?

Textra1:
"Yes blah..blah...blah."
Touché. Such a witty riposte.

"And what exactly do you debate on shanes forum?"
Whatever you want. ;o)

P.S.
It's 'Shane's forum' not 'shanes forum'. Apostrophes are your friend. lol

greenmagoos:
How thrilling.

Textra1:
If you don't want to come on over that's cool. We understand. Jumping into a forum with smart and intelligent people can be quite daunting. I can understand why you'd decline. I might suggest to Shane that we include a special section on the forum for people who don't read beyond an 8th grade level. Just so you guys don't feel left out. :)

greenmagoos:
If the forum is populated with smartalec's like yourself I think I'll pass.

I still think shane should shave his geeky beard and take a holiday before his head explodes and you can pass that message onto him if you wouldn't mind because I sometimes actually agree with some of his other bogosity stuff.

Cheers.

Textra1:
Wow, smart and geeky. You give such nice compliments. And after I was so cheeky to you. hehe Well thank-you anyway, I like being complimented.

I'm not surprised to see you moon hoaxers tuck tail and run though. Don't feel bad about it. Most conspiracy theories don't bare close scrutiny. Especially ones as retarded as this. You're going to feel embarrassed 20 years from now when you remember back at believing such non-sense, but don't sweat it though. We all do silly things from time to time.

greenmagoos:
I ain't interested debating the moon landing hocus pocus with brainwashed screwball cultists thank you very much. Its a total waste of time because you are brainwashed screwball cultists.

20 years is it now to get back to the moon?

That would close to 60 years since the last time.

How impressive.

Textra1:
"Its a total waste of time because you are brainwashed screwball cultists."
LOL. How ironic. The conspiracy theory nuts calling others cultists. How Orwellian. Black is white, war is peace, freedom is slavery. You guys are just so damn entertaining. ;D

"20 years is it now to get back to the moon?
Wow, that's a complete non sequitur. Who's talking about going back to the moon? I think you need to improve your comprehension skills. I'm talking about when you have that personal revelation in 10 or 20 years, and you facepalm when you think about all the dumb things you used to believe. Trust me, we all do it.

"I ain't interested debating the moon landing hocus pocus with brainwashed screwball cultists thank you very much."
Far be it from me to call yo a coward. What's that cliché about courage of one's convictions?? lol

greenmagoos:
Yes dufus.

You are a brainwashed cultist.

Textra1:
You're so cute. ^^

Anyway, you know where we'll be if you decide to grow a spine.

Kisses and hugs
xxx

Quote from: Textra1 on November 09, 2008, 10:23:13 AM
Well, I just tried to get one of White's sycophants in here in talk about the moon landing stuff. Unfortunately, he was all talk in the youtube comments but seemed to shrivel up somewhat when asked to come here and debate his points. No surprises I guess. I tried my best to be an irritating prick and goad him into coming here but alas, t'was not to be. Here's a transcript of the exchange. The first quote is addressed to White. He never replied. ::)

I just read that entire exchange, now my head hurts. I don't how you managed to make it that long.

Quote from: BZ987654 on November 09, 2008, 12:31:53 PM
I just read that entire exchange, now my head hurts. I don't how you managed to make it that long.

I stopped replying to him when I realised that he was never going to come over here and argue his case. He tried spewing his ridiculous moon hoax non-sense on one of my YouTube video's comments section, but I put an end to that real quick. If he wants a battle, he can come do it here. He's still whining on White's video comments but I think I'll just let him have at it. He's making himself look pretty stupid at the moment. I'm guessing he's used to that by now.

I had really hoped that White himself might come over here and argue his moon hoax case. I guess that was a little too much to expect. Conspiracy theorists rarely have the courage to step out of their own arena. The sad thing is, I actually feel sorry for people like that. I'm not sure why some people need to believe silly things like moon landing hoaxes or that David Icke lizard people insanity. It's like they can't handle the reality of their mundane world and want to project magic and fairies into it. Not healthy.