Author Topic: Gary Johnson to the Libertarian Party?  (Read 2959 times)

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
  • Bogometer: -15
    • View Profile
    • Libertarian Party of Duval County
Gary Johnson to the Libertarian Party?
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson has been sending strong signals he is considering running for the Libertarian Party presidential candidacy since he is being shutout of the Republican debates. Hell, the Libertarian Party of Florida is hosting a rally for him next Monday night.

Thoughts on this happening? If Johnson comes in and busts his hump, then I'll welcome him with open arms. However, I'm skeptical this is just an attempt to get on the ballot and the LP is the low hanging fruit.

MrBogosity

• Master of the Bogoverse
  • Administrator
  • Bogometer: -42
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gary Johnson to the Libertarian Party?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
My question is, what will he bring to the party? If he had a popular following like Ron Paul does--or even did 4 years ago--it might be a boon, but as much as I like Johnson I just don't see it happening. And I think Libertarians (including me) are understandably a bit shy about newcomers running for President right off the bat after the 2008 disaster that was the Barr campaign.

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
Obviously you haven't spoken to anyone from Florida. They're swooning over him. I mean an LP affiliate hosting a rally for another party's candidate is a pretty egregious offense, no?

If Johnson doesn't declare that night he's switching to the LP, then I think I'm going to the LNC about this.

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »
 It is clear from his interviews he wouldn't be doing this out of some catharsis that the Republican Party is a lost cause and the LP is the answer. He seems to be doing this because he's mad at being excluded from the debates.

Virgil0211

• Bogon filter
  • Bogometer: -30
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
It is clear from his interviews he wouldn't be doing this out of some catharsis that the Republican Party is a lost cause and the LP is the answer. He seems to be doing this because he's mad at being excluded from the debates.

Well, in all honesty, can you blame him for that?

I mean, Ron Paul has been nominated as the libertarian presidential candidate, and Johnson seems to have at least as much (if not more) libertarian 'cred' as RP. I don't think there would be much of a problem with that. Now, would he succeed in getting the nomination and compete as well as RP? Probably not. I was actually hoping that if this turns out to be RP's last bid for the presidential race that he'd endorse Gary Johnson. In the one debate where GJ was allowed to participate, he and RP seemed to play off of each other very well, with Ron Paul fielding the ethical and ideal questions and GJ tackling the practical side (and I'm quite willing to bet that's a big reason why GJ was excluded from later debates. I mean, they couldn't exclude RP without generating some backlash, but maybe they could play the game with that other guy who seems to be helping him out.).

Oh, well. I guess I won't get my wish of seeing an RP/GJ ticket for the Republican nomination.

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »
My problem isn't so much Johnson as it is members of the LP who keep going back to Republican castoffs like abused spouses. The 2008 Bob Barr candidacy was a disaster for the LP and I doubt Johnson would fair much better.

As I've asked several people, why do we have to push every new guy to the presidency? Why can't Johnson run for a US House or Senate seat in New Mexico?

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:50:51 AM »
In other LP related news, 2008 LP presidential candidate Bob Barr has endorsed Newt Gingrich, further cemeting his legacy as the worst LP presidential candidate ever
http://www.examiner.com/libertarian-in-west-palm-beach/bob-barr-shows-true-colors-his-endorsement-of-newt-gingrich

MrBogosity

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
Barr was apparently considering a run for Congress again--but as a Republican, not a Libertarian (he decided not to): http://www.rollcall.com/news/bob_barr_will_not_challenge_tom_graves_georgia-211024-1.html?pos=adp

The kindest evaluation I can make of Barr in the LP is that it's a failed experiment.

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
Hah, that is a much kinder evaluation than I would give it. Still, people keep trying to repeat it.

Virgil0211

• Bogon filter
  • Bogometer: -30
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 09:55:36 PM »
As I've asked several people, why do we have to push every new guy to the presidency? Why can't Johnson run for a US House or Senate seat in New Mexico?

That's what I'd recommend. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say that he wouldn't bring anything to the party or that he's just a 'newcomer'. He has won public office before, and against significant odds. Those who want to put him forward as a presidential candidate probably feel like suggesting anything else first might be trading for another team's star player and appointing him as the waterboy, to stretch a simile.

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »
Anyone else check out his internet townhall? I think any chance he would be my first choice at convention went out the door. He didn't know what SOPA and the NDAA were, never referred to the LP by name, and at one point defended Israel.

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
Well its official, Gary Johnson will be running for the LP ticket. Should be interesting.

Shane, sometime after th holidays, want to record a podcast handicapping the LP presidential candidates

MrBogosity

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »
Well its official, Gary Johnson will be running for the LP ticket. Should be interesting.

In what way is it official, BTW? Did he join the national party? His FEC registration still says he's a Republican:

http://images.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/fecimg/?P20002671

Of course, who knows how long it takes bureaucrats to change their websites...

Shane, sometime after th holidays, want to record a podcast handicapping the LP presidential candidates

Sure, but the field seems to be changing a lot right now and we don't know a lot of things, like which states will have Libertarian primaries etc. But we should absolutely do that before the convention in May!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:54:32 PM by MrBogosity »

FSBlueApocalypse

• Podcast Co-Hosts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 09:17:53 PM »
Mark Hinkle was there at the press conference to personally accept his voters registration