Wikileaks' Julian Assange to be extradited to Sweden

Started by FSBlueApocalypse, November 02, 2011, 07:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12564865

Sadly, it comes as no surprise this is going to happen. Minute he lands in Sweden, Washington will fax their own extradition paperwork.

I have a feeling that "insurance" file is going to be opening soon.

November 02, 2011, 08:01:15 AM #1 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:05:09 AM by MrBogosity
Yes, and how transparent is this? Assange has NOT been charged with any crime, they just want to "question" him. But they could easily have done that at the Swedish Consolate!

Also: apparently, secret trials don't abridge human rights. Fucking Europeans...

November 02, 2011, 10:16:25 AM #2 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:17:43 PM by VectorM
Quote from: MrBogosity on November 02, 2011, 08:01:15 AM
Also: apparently, secret trials don't abridge human rights. Fucking Europeans...

Sweden often beats itself in the chest with its defense of human rights and free speech, yet they have some of the most retarded anti-prostitution laws in the continent.

Quote from: VectorM on November 02, 2011, 10:16:25 AM
Sweden often beats itself in the chest with it's defense of human rights and free speech, yet they have some of the most retarded anti-prostitution laws in the continent.

And, not surprisingly, they've got one of the most highly institutionalized Feminist movements in the world (which is principally responsible for the anti-woman prostitution laws in place).  It even has its' own political party.  They actually asked for suggestions for names for it when they set it up.  The one that came to my mind was 'Failure Party'.  (Once you get any sort of institution going that's allegedly trying to fix a problem, you know that alleged problem is NEVER going away.  Swedish Feminists actually have the nerve to claim they've accomplished NOTHING.)

Every attempt by sex workers to organize to try and get the prostitution laws fixed is systematically sabotaged by the institutional Feminists (who apparently are of the old-style not much seen these days in North America, the ones who say things that amount to "Being a non-oppressed woman means doing what I tell you to do.").

Quote from: FSBlueApocalypse on November 02, 2011, 07:41:34 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12564865

Sadly, it comes as no surprise this is going to happen. Minute he lands in Sweden, Washington will fax their own extradition paperwork.

I have a feeling that "insurance" file is going to be opening soon.

I'm not sure the US could extradite him on the charges they could file.  Prosecuting him for what they would like to prosecute him for would actually be a crime in Sweden, and it would be very strange if they were able to get Sweden to help them do something illegal in Sweden.  The claims were pretty damn convenient, though.

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 02, 2011, 08:01:15 AM
Yes, and how transparent is this? Assange has NOT been charged with any crime, they just want to "question" him. But they could easily have done that at the Swedish Consolate!

well, you are making the assumption that people in general can really think. why would Europeans be any smarter about this? so far, history has shown otherwise.

and I'm not sure if most (or at least, every) European thinks that-certainly the piss-ants heading the various governments.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Yes, but most of them are so jingoistic, aren't they? Their governments are SO dedicated to human rights, unlike the US..

Quote from: VectorM on November 02, 2011, 10:16:25 AM
Sweden often beats itself in the chest with its defense of human rights and free speech, yet they have some of the most retarded anti-prostitution laws in the continent.

Funny you should mention that.  Check out what I just came across.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/transgender-forced-sterilization_n_1071328.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%7C109555

"Although Swedish leaders have been talking for months about repealing the sterilization law that Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt called a "dark chapter in Swedish history," it remains on the books. The conservative Christian Democrats have doggedly opposed the repeal, arguing that sex reassignment surgery is a threat to traditional social roles."

Threat to traditional social roles?  Get out of the fucking stone ages already!!
I recently heard that the word heretic is derived from the greek work heriticos which means "able to choose"
The more you know...

Quote from: MrBogosity on November 03, 2011, 06:25:00 AM
Yes, but most of them are so jingoistic, aren't they? Their governments are SO dedicated to human rights, unlike the US..

yeah, they sure are ::)

my point was just that I'm not comfortable with the generalization-as accurate as it might be. I personally find Europe's stances on rights to be...hypocritical.

in any event:

@ Lord T Hawkeye: some much for being a progressive country....I'm surprised though there can be so many Christians in Sweden so as to stop the repealing of the law.
"All you guys complaining about the possibility of guy on guy relationships...you're also denying us girl on girl.  Works both ways if you know what I mean"

-Jesse Cox

Well, the US has a highly hypocritical stand on human rights as well, but it is amusing that the US still regularly calls European countries for a number of violations of human rights on a regular basis.  (The US State Department does an annual report, for example, that castigates Germany for religious and political rights violations every time.)

Quote from: evensgrey on November 06, 2011, 03:36:23 AM
Well, the US has a highly hypocritical stand on human rights as well, but it is amusing that the US still regularly calls European countries for a number of violations of human rights on a regular basis.  (The US State Department does an annual report, for example, that castigates Germany for religious and political rights violations every time.)

it seems to be a rule of thumb these days that those who call themselves the most conscientious with rights seem to violate them the most, while those who proclaim themselves democracies and republics are the least of either (not that democracies strictu sensu are any good)

-Jesse Cox

I've always noticed that: the more prominently someone self-identifies with a positive trait, the less likely it is to actually apply.